Louisa has a background in physiotherapy, communications and public health research. She has had very diverse work experience in clinical, non-clinical and education roles across the public health, community health, occupational health, research, tertiary education, and non-government sectors. She has a focus on using innovative approaches to involving patients, families and community members in the design and improvement of health services and health research. Her research interests include health service design and delivery, health communication, health information, consumer engagement, digital health, and the use of participatory research methods.
- 2022: Victorian Clinical Informatics Council member, Department of Health, Victoria
- 2019-2022: Editorial Board Member, Integrated Healthcare Journal
- 2019 - present: Managing Editor, Cochrane Consumers and Communication
- 2018 – present: Collaborative Pairs Australia Facilitator, Consumers Health Forum of Australia.
- 2011 – present: Heart and Lung Transplant Trust of Victoria committee member
- 2016 - present: Research Officer, Centre for Health Communication and Participation, La Trobe University
- 2016 – present: Lecturer, Department of Physiotherapy, Monash University
- 2016 - 2021: Lecturer, Department of Politics, Media and Philosophy, La Trobe University
- 2013 - 2015: Peer Support Project Manager, Cystic Fibrosis Victoria
- 2009 – 2013: Project Manager, Hepatitis Victoria
- 2007 - 2009: Team Leader, Early Intervention in Chronic Disease Team, Western Region Health Centre
- 2005 – 2006: Physiotherapist, Mitchell Community Health Service
- 2004-2005: Physiotherapist, Port Augusta Hospital
- 2022: Doctor of Philosophy, School of Psychology and Public Health, La Trobe University.
- 2016: Master of Strategic Communication, La Trobe University
- 2003: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours), University of Melbourne, Victoria.
- 2016: Pro-Vice Chancellor’s Commendation for outstanding academic results, La Trobe University
- Social Media as a Tool for Consumer Engagement in Hospital Quality Improvement and Service Design: Barriers and Enablers for Implementation.
Louisa Walsh, Nerida Hyett, Jayne Howley, Nicole Juniper, Chi Li, Belinda MacLeod-Smith, Sophie Rodier, Sophie Hill
Int J Health Policy Manag. 2021 Nov; Epub ahead of print
- Effects of consumers and health providers working in partnership on health services planning, delivery and evaluation.
Dianne Lowe, Rebecca Ryan, Lina Schonfeld, Bronwen Merner, Louisa Walsh, Lisa Graham-Wisener, Sophie Hill
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Sep; 9:CD013373
- The risks and benefits of using social media to engage consumers in service design and quality improvement in Australian public hospitals: findings from an interview study of key stakeholders.
Louisa Walsh, Nerida Hyett, Jayne Howley, Nicole Juniper, Chi Li, Belinda MacLeod-Smith, Sophie Rodier, Sophie J Hill
BMC Health Serv Res. 2021 Aug; 21(1):876
- Stakeholder Involvement in Systematic Reviews: Lessons From Cochrane's Public Health and Health Systems Network.
Bronwen Merner, Dianne Lowe, Louisa Walsh, Anneliese Synnot, Jan Stratil, Simon Lewin, Claire Glenton, Peter von Philipsborn, Lina Schonfeld, Rebecca Ryan, Denise O'Connor, Jan L Hoving, Sophie Hill
Am J Public Health. 2021 Jul; 111(7):1210-1215
- Indirect Impacts of COVID-19: A Case Study of Evidence, Advice and Representation From Consumer and Community Members in New South Wales Australia.
Tara Dimopoulos-Bick, Louisa Walsh, Kim Sutherland
J Patient Exp. 2021 Mar; 8:2374373521998628
- The use of social media as a tool for stakeholder engagement in health service design and quality improvement: A scoping review.
Louisa Walsh, Nerida Hyett, Nicole Juniper, Chi Li, Sophie Rodier, Sophie Hill
Digit Health. 2021 Jan; 7:2055207621996870
- Assessing the information quality and usability of My Health Record within a health literacy framework: What's changed since 2016?
Louisa Walsh, Bronwyn Hemsley, Meredith Allan, Maria R Dahm, Susan Balandin, Andrew Georgiou, Isabel Higgins, Shaun McCarthy, Sophie Hill
Health Inf Manag. 2021 Jan; 50(1-2):13-25
- A content analysis of the consumer-facing online information about My Health Record: Implications for increasing knowledge and awareness to facilitate uptake and use.
Louisa Walsh, Sophie Hill, Meredith Allan, Susan Balandin, Andrew Georgiou, Isabel Higgins, Ben Kraal, Shaun McCarthy, Bronwyn Hemsley
Health Inf Manag. 2018 Sep; 47(3):106-115
- Face-to-face interventions for informing or educating parents about early childhood vaccination.
Jessica Kaufman, Rebecca Ryan, Louisa Walsh, Dell Horey, Julie Leask, Priscilla Robinson, Sophie Hill
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 May; 5:CD010038