Dr Amanda Roxburgh (MPsychol [Clin] PhD MAPS) is a NHMRC Research Fellow.
Amanda has 18 years’ experience in the alcohol and other drug research sector and has a national and emerging international profile relating to her expertise in opioid overdose mortality.
She has published over 40 scientific publications and given 60 national and international conference presentations with her work published in leading international journals.
Her research has led to a greater understanding of the changing nature of opioid overdose mortality and the contribution of pharmaceutical opioids to these deaths.
Amanda’s work has informed legislative change in Australia (e.g. rescheduling of codeine and regulatory changes in dispensing of Schedule 8 opioids). She has led briefings to government (e.g. the Australian Government Department of Health, and the Pharmaceutical Board Advisory Committee). Written commissioned (by the Intergovernmental Committee on Drugs – IGCD and the NSW Parliament) reports which have directly informed Australia’s National Drug Strategy.
Her current research focuses on understanding the factors driving non-fatal and fatal overdose in the context of contemporary drug markets, with the aim of informing overdose policy responses and reducing drug-related harms.
Amanda has developed strong collaborative partnerships within the sector, working with the Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre, Discipline of Addiction Medicine at the University of Sydney, Monash University, and the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales.
- Research Affiliate, Discipline of Addiction Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- Adjunct Associate Lecturer, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- Full member of the Australian Psychological Society and the College of Clinical Psychologists
- 2020: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Research Fellow, Burnet Institute
- 2004-2019: Senior Research Officer National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, Epidemiology and Surveillance (NDARC).
- 2002-2004: Research Officer, Drug Trends program, NDARC.
- 2019: PhD, University of New South Wales Australia
- 2007: MPsychol (Clin), University of New South Wales, Australia
- 2001: BA Hons (Psychology and Sociology) University of Sydney, Australia
- 1998: Masters of Criminology, University of Sydney, Australia
- 2019: Deans Award for outstanding PhD, conferred by Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales
- 2013: The Jen McLaren Award for outstanding research contribution, conferred by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales
- 2013: Deans Award for Professional and Technical staff for outstanding research contribution, conferred by Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales
- Accurate identification of opioid overdose deaths using coronial data.
Amanda Roxburgh, Jennifer L Pilgrim, Wayne D Hall, Lucinda Burns, Louisa Degenhardt
Forensic Sci Int. 2018 Jun; 287:40-46
- Typology of new psychoactive substance use among the general Australian population.
Sutherland R, Peacock A, Roxburgh A, Barratt MJ, Burns L, Bruno R
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018 May; 188:126-134
- A nationwide study of the extent and factors associated with fentanyl use in Australia.
Natasa Gisev, Briony Larance, Elena Cama, Suzanne Nielsen, Amanda Roxburgh, Raimondo Bruno, Louisa Degenhardt
Res Social Adm Pharm. 2018 Mar; 14(3):303-308
- Trends in heroin and pharmaceutical opioid overdose deaths in Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Wayne D Hall, Timothy Dobbins, Natasa Gisev, Lucinda Burns, Sallie Pearson, Louisa Degenhardt
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017 Oct; 179:291-298
- Frequency and severity of non-fatal opioid overdoses among clients attending the Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre.
Amanda Roxburgh, Shane Darke, Allison M Salmon, Timothy Dobbins, Marianne Jauncey
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017 Jul; 176:126-132
- The recovery of online drug markets following law enforcement and other disruptions.
Joe Van Buskirk, Raimondo Bruno, Timothy Dobbins, Courtney Breen, Lucinda Burns, Sundresan Naicker, Amanda Roxburgh
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017 Apr; 173:159-162
- Crystalline methamphetamine use and methamphetamine-related harms in Australia.
Louisa Degenhardt, Grant Sara, Rebecca McKetin, Amanda Roxburgh, Timothy Dobbins, Michael Farrell, Lucinda Burns, Wayne D Hall
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2017 Mar; 36(2):160-170
- Increased prevalence of self-reported psychotic illness predicted by crystal methamphetamine use: Evidence from a high-risk population.
Julia M Lappin, Amanda Roxburgh, Sharlene Kaye, Jenny Chalmers, Grant Sara, Timothy Dobbins, Lucinda Burns, Michael Farrell
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Dec; 38:16-20
- Who sells what? Country specific differences in substance availability on the Agora cryptomarket.
Joe Van Buskirk, Sundresan Naicker, Amanda Roxburgh, Raimondo Bruno, Lucinda Burns
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Sep; 35:16-23
- Characterising dark net marketplace purchasers in a sample of regular psychostimulant users.
Joe Van Buskirk, Amanda Roxburgh, Raimondo Bruno, Sundresan Naicker, Simon Lenton, Rachel Sutherland, Elizabeth Whittaker, Natasha Sindicich, Allison Matthews, Kerryn Butler, Lucinda Burns
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Sep; 35:32-37
- New psychoactive substance use among regular psychostimulant users in Australia, 2010-2015.
Rachel Sutherland, Amy Peacock, Elizabeth Whittaker, Amanda Roxburgh, Simon Lenton, Allison Matthews, Kerryn Butler, Marina Nelson, Lucinda Burns, Raimondo Bruno
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Apr; 161:110-118
- Estimating the number of regular and dependent methamphetamine users in Australia, 2002-2014 .
Louisa Degenhardt, Sarah Larney, Gary Chan, Timothy Dobbins, Megan Weier, Amanda Roxburgh, Wayne D Hall, Rebecca McKetin
Med J Aust. 2016 Mar; 204(4):153
- Sexual identity and prevalence of alcohol and other drug use among Australians in the general population.
Amanda Roxburgh, Toby Lea, John de Wit, Louisa Degenhardt
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Feb; 28:76-82
- A response to Dolliver's "Evaluating drug trafficking on the Tor network".
Joe Van Buskirk, Amanda Roxburgh, Sundresan Naicker, Lucinda Burns
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Nov; 26(11):1126-1127
- Trends and characteristics of accidental and intentional codeine overdose deaths in Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Wayne D Hall, Lucinda Burns, Jennifer Pilgrim, Eva Saar, Suzanne Nielsen, Louisa Degenhardt
Med J Aust. 2015 Oct; 203(7):299
- Changes in non-opioid substitution treatment episodes for pharmaceutical opioids and heroin from 2002 to 2011.
S Nielsen, A Roxburgh, R Bruno, N Lintzeris, A Jefferson, L Degenhardt
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Apr; 149:212-219
- Multiply disadvantaged: Health and service utilisation factors faced by homeless injecting drug consumers in Australia.
Whittaker E, Swift W, Roxburgh A, Dietze P, Cogger S, Bruno R, Sindicich N, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2015 Mar; 34(4):379-387
- The rise of new psychoactive substance use in Australia.
Lucy Burns, Amanda Roxburgh, Allison Matthews, Raimondo Bruno, Simon Lenton, Joe Van Buskirk
Drug Test Anal. 2014 Jul; 6(7-8):846-849
- Monitoring drug markets in the Internet age and the evolution of drug monitoring systems in Australia.
Lucy Burns, Amanda Roxburgh, Raimondo Bruno, Joe Van Buskirk
Drug Test Anal. 2014 Jul; 6(7-8):840-845
- The closure of the Silk Road: what has this meant for online drug trading?
Joe Van Buskirk, Amanda Roxburgh, Michael Farrell, Lucy Burns
Addiction. 2014 Apr; 109(4):517-518
- A cross-sectional analysis of over-the-counter codeine use among an Australian sample of people who regularly inject drugs.
Sheena Arora, Amanda Roxburgh, Raimondo Bruno, Suzanne Nielsen, Lucy Burns
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Nov; 32(6):574-581
- Patterns of alcohol, tobacco and cannabis use and related harm in city, regional and remote areas of Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Peter Miller, Matthew Dunn
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Sep; 24(5):488-491
- Trends in fentanyl prescriptions and fentanyl-related mortality in Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Lucy Burns, Olaf H Drummer, Jennifer Pilgrim, Michael Farrell, Louisa Degenhardt
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 May; 32(3):269-275
- A review of the use of US-derived aetiological fractions in an Australian setting for antenatal problems related to cocaine use.
Steven Riddell, Marian Shanahan, Louisa Degenhardt, Amanda Roxburgh
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008 Aug; 32(4):393-394
- Drug dependence and associated risks among female street-based sex workers in the greater Sydney area, Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Louisa Degenhardt, Jan Copeland, Briony Larance
Subst Use Misuse. 2008 Jul; 43(8-9):1202-1217
- Drug use and risk among regular injecting drug users in Australia: does age make a difference?
Louisa Degenhardt, Stuart A Kinner, Amanda Roxburgh, Emma Black, Raimondo Bruno, James Fetherston, Craig L Fry
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2008 Jul; 27(4):357-360
- The epidemiology of methamphetamine use and harm in Australia.
Louisa Degenhardt, Amanda Roxburgh, Emma Black, Raimondo Bruno, Gabrielle Campbell, Stuart Kinner, James Fetherston
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2008 May; 27(3):243-252
- Estimating the costs of drug-related hospital separations in Australia.
Steven Riddell, Marian Shanahan, Louisa Degenhardt, Amanda Roxburgh
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008 Apr; 32(2):156-161
- The effects of the market withdrawal of temazepam gel capsules on benzodiazepine injecting in Sydney, Australia.
Louisa Degenhardt, Amanda Roxburgh, Ingrid van Beek, Wayne D Hall, Maxine K F Robinson, Joanne Ross, Andrea Mant
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2008 Mar; 27(2):145-151
- Characteristics of drug-related hospital separations in Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Louisa Degenhardt
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008 Jan; 92(1-3):149-155
- Trends in morphine prescriptions, illicit morphine use and associated harms among regular injecting drug users in Australia.
Louisa Degenhardt, Emma Black, Courtney Breen, Raimondo Bruno, Stuart Kinner, Amanda Roxburgh, Craig Fry, Rebecca Jenkinson, Jeff Ward, James Fetherston, Josephine Weekley, Jane Fischer
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2006 Sep; 25(5):403-412
- Posttraumatic stress disorder among female street-based sex workers in the greater Sydney area, Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Louisa Degenhardt, Jan Copeland
BMC Psychiatry. 2006 May; 6:24
- Underlying causes of cocaine, amphetamine and opioid related deaths in Australia.
Louisa Degenhardt, Amanda Roxburgh, Bridget Barker
J Clin Forensic Med. 2005 Aug; 12(4):187-195
- Gender differences among regular injecting drug users in Sydney, Australia, 1996-2003.
Courtney Breen, Amanda Roxburgh, Louisa Degenhardt
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2005 Jul; 24(4):353-358
- Drug use and risk behaviours among injecting drug users: a comparison between sex workers and non-sex workers in Sydney, Australia.
Amanda Roxburgh, Louisa Degenhardt, Courtney Breen
Harm Reduct J. 2005 Jun; 2(1):7