Jacqui is the Program Manager for the Workforce Development and Health Service Delivery component of the Eliminate Hepatitis C (EC) Australia Partnership. This includes overseeing the planning, implementation and management of key activities aimed at scaling up the coverage of hepatitis C services across Australia, targeting general practitioners, nurse practitioners, nurses and community health workers on a national level.
Jacqui has worked in the viral hepatitis sector for the 20 years in nursing, education, social and health services research, and policy development. The broad focus of her work is building the capacity of the health workforce to test, treat and manage the health care needs of people living with viral hepatitis.
Jacqui has led the development of several pivotal documents including the Australasian Hepatology Association’s (AHA) Consensus-based nursing guidelines for the care of people with liver disease (2019 and 2012), the AHA Consensus-based guidelines for the provision of adherence support for people with hepatitis C taking DAAs (2016) and the AHA Practice Standards for the Hepatology Nurse (2015).
Jacqui is a knowledge broker, connecting individuals from the viral hepatitis sector with professionals working in the primary care, tertiary hospital, jurisdictional and federal bureaucratic and research sectors through the establishment and maintenance of strong collaborative relationships. The strength of this network has allowed her to lead translatable research projects that influence the delivery of clinical care for people with chronic liver disease and leverage funding from a variety of industry and government sources.
Jacqui served on the Australian Ministerial Advisory Committee on Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmissible Infections (MACBBVS) between 2015 and 2018.
Jacqui is currently a sessional teacher at the School of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Health, Deakin University and is an Honorary Research Fellow at the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society, La Trobe University, a Senior Fellow at the Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne.
- Jacqui is currently a sessional teacher at the School of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Health, Deakin University
- Honorary Research Fellow at the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society, La Trobe University
- Senior Fellow at the Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne
- Clinical Advisor, Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM)
- Oct 2017 to Dec 2018: Executive Officer, Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Care Collaborative, Eastern Health
- Sept 2016 to Dec 2017: Education and Training coordinator, Eliminate Hepatitis C (EC) partnership, Burnet Institute
- April 2011 to Nov 2017: Research Fellow, Viral Hepatitis research team, Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS), La Trobe University
- Feb 2015 to Mar 2017: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Translation of Research into Practice (TRIP) Fellowship, Royal Melbourne Hospital and La Trobe University
- April 2012 to August 2013: Integrated Hepatology Nurse Consultant (Hepatitis B), Royal Melbourne Hospital
Sept 2009 to April 2012: Hepatology Nurse Consultant (Hepatitis B), St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
- July 2006 to Feb 2008: Hepatology Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
- Nov 1998 to June 2006 and Mar to Dec 2008: Victorian Viral Hepatitis Educator, St Vincent’s Hospital
- 2006: Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne, Victoria
Thesis title: What is the association between health professionals’ hepatitis C knowledge and attitudes and the care they provide for people with hepatitis C?
- 2000: Master of Public Health, Deakin University, Victoria
- 1998: Graduate Diploma of Health Sciences (Health Promotion and Health Education), Deakin University, Victoria
- 1996: Bachelor of Nursing, Deakin University, Victoria
- A survey of knowledge, attitudes, barriers and support needs in providing hepatitis B care among GPs practising in Australia.
Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Howell J, Wallace J, Richmond J, Adamson E, Thompson A, Hellard M
BMC Prim Care. 2022 Jun; 23(1):137
- Randomised controlled trial of active case management to link hepatitis C notifications to treatment in Tasmania, Australia: a study protocol.
Marukutira T, Moore KP, Hellard M, Richmond J, Turner K, Pedrana AE, Melody S, Johnston FH, Owen L, Van Den Boom W, Scott N, Thompson A, Iser D, Spelman T, Veitch M, Stoové MA, Doyle J
BMJ Open. 2022 Mar; 12(3):e056120
- Understanding how to live with hepatitis B: a qualitative investigation of peer advice for Chinese people living with hepatitis B in Australia.
Wallace J, Xiao Y, Howell J, Thompson A, Allard N, Adamson E, Richmond J, Hajarizadeh B, Eagle M, Doyle J, Hellard M
BMC Public Health. 2022 Mar; 22(1):536
- Social impacts of living with chronic hepatitis B in South Sudanese community in Australia.
Mude WW, Fisher CM, Richmond J, Gautier RL, Wallace J
Ethn Health. 2022 Jan; Epub ahead of print:1-13
- A qualitative exploration of enablers for hepatitis B clinical management among ethnic Chinese in Australia.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Thompson A, Hellard M, van Gemert C, Holmes JA, Croagh C, Richmond J, Papaluca T, Hall S, Hong T, Demediuk B, Iser D, Ryan M, Desmond P, Visvanathan K, Howell J
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Jun; 28(6):925-933
- Producing health information in consultation with health workers and the hepatitis B-affected communities is worthwhile.
Bennett G, Richmond J, Thompson AJ
Aust J Prim Health. 2021 Feb; 27(23):116-121
- Addressing pregnancy-related concerns in women with inflammatory bowel disease: Insights from the patient's perspective.
Flanagan EK, Richmond J, Thompson AJ, Desmond PV, Bell SJ
JGHOpen. 2021 Jan; 5(1):28-33
- The personal and social impact of chronic hepatitis B: A qualitative study of Vietnamese and Chinese participants in Australia.
Le Gautier R, Wallace J, Richmond JA, Pitts M
Health Soc Care Community. 2021 Jan; 29(5):1420-1428
- Facilitating hepatitis B clinical management in general practice: A qualitative investigation.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Allard N, Howell J, Adamson E, XiaoYZ, O’Reilly C, Hellard M
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Sep; 49(9):599-604
- Achieving Hepatitis C Elimination By Using Person-Centered, Nurse-Led Models of Care: A Discussion of Four International Case Studies.
Richmond JA, Gallagher L, McDonald L, OʼSullivan M, Fitzsimmons C, Pedrana A
Gastroenterol Nurs. 2020 Jul; 43(4):303-309
- 'Teach-back' is a simple communication tool that improves disease knowledge in people with chronic hepatitis B - a pilot randomized controlled study.
Tran S, Bennett G, Richmond J, Nguyen T, Ryan M, Hong T, Howell J, Demediuk B, Desmond P, Bell S, Thompson A
BMC Public Health. 2019 Oct; 19(1):1355
- A qualitative investigation of barriers, support-seeking and coping among South Sudanese people with chronic hepatitis B in Australia.
William Mude, Christopher Fisher, Jacqui Richmond, Jack Wallace, Roslyn Le Gautier
Aust J Prim Health. 2019 Jun; 25(3):264-274
- Perceptions of HIV cure research among people living with HIV in Australia.
Jennifer Power, Andrew Westle, Gary W Dowsett, Jayne Lucke, Joseph D Tucker, Jeremy Sugarman, Sharon R Lewin, Sophie Hill, Graham Brown, Jack Wallace, Jacqui Richmond
PLoS One. 2018 Aug; 13(8):e0202647
- Achieving a hepatitis C cure: a qualitative exploration of the experiences and meanings of achieving a hepatitis C cure using the direct acting antivirals in Australia.
Richmond JA, Ellard J, Wallace J, Thorpe R, Higgs P, Hellard M, Thompson A
Hepatol Med Policy. 2018 Aug; 3:8
- Implementation of hepatitis C cure in Australia: one year on.
Richmond JA, Wallace J
J Virus Erad. 2018 Apr; 4(2):115-117
- The Role of Primary Health Care in Hepatitis B Testing and Management: A Case Study.
Jacqueline A Richmond, Joe Sasadeusz, Meredith Temple-Smith
J Community Health. 2018 Feb; 43(1):38-47
- "B in IT" - a community-based model for the management of hepatitis B patients in primary care clinics using a novel web-based clinical tool.
Debra A O'Leary, Eleanor Cropp, David Isaac, Paul V Desmond, Sally Bell, Tin Nguyen, Darren Wong, Jessica Howell, Jacqui Richmond, Jenny O'Neill, Alexander J Thompson
Hepatol Med Policy. 2018 Jan; 3:1
- Infection control and occupational health. (Book Chapter)
Richmond JA, Hosking K.
in "B Positive (2nd Edition) - all you wanted to know about hepatitis B - a guide for primary care providers.. (ASHM). 2018 Jan; Chapter 12:121
- The challenge of liver cancer surveillance in general practice: Do recall and reminder systems hold the answer?
Nicole Allard, Tracey Cabrie, Emily Wheeler, Jacqui Richmond, Jennifer MacLachlan, Jon Emery, John Furler, Benjamin Cowie
Aust Fam Physician. 2017 Nov; 46(11):859-864
- Addressing cultural diversity: the hepatitis B clinical specialist perspective.
Wallace J, Smith E, Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Lucke J
Ethn Health. 2017 Aug
- More than a virus: a qualitative study of the social implications of hepatitis B infection in China.
Wallace J, Pitts M, Liu C, Lin V, Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Locarnini S
Int J Equity Health. 2017 Aug; 16:137
- Hepatitis B testing and diagnosis experiences of patients and primary care professionals in Australia.
Richmond J, Smith E, Wallace J, Duncan D, Lucke J
Aust Fam Physician. 2017 Jul; 46(7):513-519
- Eradicating hepatitis C: The need for a public health response.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Ellard J, Power J, Lucke J
Glob Pub Health. 2017 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Patients with chronic hepatitis C undergoing watchful waiting: Exploring trajectories of illness uncertainty and fatigue.
Donald E Jr Bailey, Julie Barroso, Andrew J Muir, Richard Sloane, Jacqui Richmond, John McHutchison, Keyur Patel, Lawrence Landerman, Merle H Mishel
Res Nurs Health. 2010 Oct; 33(5):465-473
- The use of complementary and alternative medicine by patients with chronic hepatitis C.
Jacqueline A Richmond, Donald E Bailey, Keyur Patel, Janet A Jezsik, Andrew Muir, Jr-Rung Lin, Shein-Chung Chow, Diane Uzarski, John G McHutchison
Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2010 Aug; 16(3):124-131
- The use of mind-body medicine and prayer among adult patients with chronic hepatitis C.
Jacqueline A Richmond, Donald E Jr Bailey, John G McHutchison, Andrew J Muir
Gastroenterol Nurs. 2010 May; 33(3):210-216
News Articles (3)