My research looks at hepatitis B as a phenomenon where the biomedical, social, economic and political intersect, and investigates how viral hepatitis affects individuals and communities and shapes social relations and social practices. My projects have included needs assessments of hepatitis B in Australia and China, policy assessments of viral hepatitis in Taiwan, Indonesia and Tasmania, and investigations into how people with hepatitis B and health care workers understand and respond to hepatitis B.
I have worked in community, government and research sectors seeking to reduce the personal and community impact of blood borne viruses, particularly viral hepatitis. My role prior to undertaking research work was establishing the national peak organisation representing people living with viral hepatitis, Hepatitis Australia where I was the Executive Officer between 1998 and 2005. My previous positions included managing a peer-based injecting drug user organisation in Queensland and as the Principal Program Advisor – Hepatitis C, for Queensland Health.
I am a Chief Investigator on two Australian Research Council projects: Strengthening Community Responses to Chronic Hepatitis B, and “my health, our family”. Both of these projects looks at different aspects of the familial, social and cultural responses of hepatitis B to support the development of better public health policy, both nationally and internationally.
- Adjunct Research Fellow, La Trobe University
- Adjunct Lecturer, Centre for Social Research in Health, UNSW Arts and Social Sciences
- Executive and Founding member, Coalition to Eradicate Viral Hepatitis in Asia Pacific (CEVHAP)
- 2018, Senior Research Officer, Burnet Institute
- 2007 - 2017, Research Fellow, Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society
- 1998- 2004, Executive Officer, Hepatitis Australia
- 1996-1998, Principal Program Adviser (Hepatitis C), Queensland Health
- PhD, La Trobe University
- Master of Social Sciences (International Development), RMIT
Cancer information compared to Hepatitis B information to INcreAse hepatitis B testing in Melbourne’s Chinese community (CHINA-B study)
Hepatitis B discrimination and health service access.
Identifying the barriers to hepatitis B clinical management: the perspectives of people with hepatitis B.
Identifying the structural enablers to the clinical management of people with hepatitis B in general practice: a qualitative investigation
Optimising Quarantine Study
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
- "It's time!": A qualitative exploration of the acceptability of hepatitis C notification systems to help eliminate hepatitis C.
Walker S, Wallace J, Latham N, Saich F, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Treloar C, Marukutira T, Higgs P, Doyle J, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 May; 97:103280
- A qualitative exploration of enablers for hepatitis B clinical management among ethnic Chinese in Australia.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Thompson A, Hellard M, van Gemert C, Holmes JA, Croagh C, Richmond J, Papaluca T, Hall S, Hong T, Demediuk B, Iser D, Ryan M, Desmond P, Visvanathan K, Howell J
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- The personal and social impact of chronic hepatitis B: A qualitative study of Vietnamese and Chinese participants in Australia.
Le Gautier R, Wallace J, Richmond JA, Pitts M
Health Soc Care Community. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Social impacts of living with chronic hepatitis B in South Sudanese community in Australia.
Mude WW, Fisher CM, Richmond J, Gautier RL, Wallace J
Ethn Health. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print:1-13
- Understanding 'risk' in families living with mixed blood-borne viral infection status: The doing and undoing of 'difference'.
Persson A, Smith AK, Wallace J, Valentine K, Bryant J, Hamilton M, Newman CE
Health. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- South Sudanese Perceptions of Health and Illness in South Australia.
Mude WW, Fisher CM, Le Gautier R, Wallace JM, Richmond J
Int J Migrat Health Soc Care. 2020 Oct; 16(4):469-479
- Facilitating hepatitis B clinical management in general practice: A qualitative investigation.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Allard N, Howell J, Adamson E, XiaoYZ, O’Reilly C, Hellard M
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Sep; 49(9):599-604
- Experience as evidence: The prospects for biographical narratives in drug policy
Valentine K, Persson A, Newman CE, Hamilton M, Bryant J, Wallace J.
Contemp Drug Prob. 2020 Apr; 47(3):191-209
- Treading lightly: Finding the best way to use public health surveillance of hepatitis C diagnoses to increase access to cure.
Stoové M, Wallace J, Higgs P, Pedrana A, Goutzamanis S, Latham N, Scott N, Treloar C, Crawford S, Doyle J, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2020 Jan; 75:102596
- The embodied relationality of blood-borne viruses: How families matter in the context of a stigmatised viral infection.
Persson A, Newman CE, Valentine K, Hamilton M, Bryant J, Wallace J
Soc Sci Med. 2019 Oct; 243:112620
- A qualitative investigation of barriers, support-seeking and coping among South Sudanese people with chronic hepatitis B in Australia.
William Mude, Christopher Fisher, Jacqui Richmond, Jack Wallace, Roslyn Le Gautier
Aust J Prim Health. 2019 Jun; 25(3):264-274
- The role of explanatory models of chronic hepatitis B on illness experience: a qualitative study of Vietnamese participants in Australia.
Roslyn Le Gautier, Jack Wallace, Jacqueline A Richmond, Marian Pitts
Ethn Health. 2019 May
- Aiming for the elimination of viral hepatitis in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Territories: where are we now and barriers to meeting WHO targets by 2030.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Cowie BC, Doyle J, Getehun A, Ward J, Gane E, Cunningham C, Wallace J, Lee A, Malani J, Thompson A, Hellard ME
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 34(1):40-48
- Delivering the hepatitis C cure to Aboriginal people: documenting the perspectives of one Aboriginal Health Service.
Wallace J, Hanley B, Belfrage M, Gregson S, Quiery N, Lucke J
Aust J Prim Health. 2018 Oct; 24(6):491-495
- Perceptions of HIV cure research among people living with HIV in Australia.
Jennifer Power, Andrew Westle, Gary W Dowsett, Jayne Lucke, Joseph D Tucker, Jeremy Sugarman, Sharon R Lewin, Sophie Hill, Graham Brown, Jack Wallace, Jacqui Richmond
PLoS One. 2018 Aug; 13(8):e0202647
- Achieving a hepatitis C cure: a qualitative exploration of the experiences and meanings of achieving a hepatitis C cure using the direct acting antivirals in Australia.
Richmond JA, Ellard J, Wallace J, Thorpe R, Higgs P, Hellard M, Thompson A
Hepatol Med Policy. 2018 Aug; 3:8
- The hepatitis B epidemic and the urgent need for cure preparedness.
Lazarus JV, Block T, Bréchot C, Kramvis A, Miller V, Ninburg M, Pénicaud C, Protzer U, Razavi H, Thomas LA, Wallace J, Cowie BC
Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2018 Jul; 25(9):1089-1098
- Hidden carers for an increasingly hidden illness? A scoping review of the needs of informal carers of people with HIV in the contemporary treatment era.
Myra Hamilton, Jessica Botfield, Christy Newman, Asha Persson, kylie valentine, Joanne Bryant, Jack Wallace.
International Journal of Carers and Caring. 2018 Jun; Accepted for Publication
- Implementation of hepatitis C cure in Australia: one year on.
Richmond JA, Wallace J
J Virus Erad. 2018 Apr; 4(2):115-117
- Untangling the conflation of ‘young adults’ and ‘young people’ in STI and sexual health policy and sex education.
Hendry NA, Brown G, Carman M, Ellard J, Wallace J, Dowsett GW
Sex Education. 2018 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Families Living with Blood-Borne Viruses: The Case for Extending the Concept of "Serodiscordance".
Asha Persson, Christy E Newman, Myra Hamilton, Joanne Bryant, Jack Wallace, Kylie Valentine
Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2017 Oct; 2017:4352783
- Addressing cultural diversity: the hepatitis B clinical specialist perspective.
Wallace J, Smith E, Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Lucke J
Ethn Health. 2017 Aug
- More than a virus: a qualitative study of the social implications of hepatitis B infection in China.
Wallace J, Pitts M, Liu C, Lin V, Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Locarnini S
Int J Equity Health. 2017 Aug; 16:137
- Hepatitis B testing and diagnosis experiences of patients and primary care professionals in Australia.
Richmond J, Smith E, Wallace J, Duncan D, Lucke J
Aust Fam Physician. 2017 Jul; 46(7):513-519
- Eradicating hepatitis C: The need for a public health response.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Ellard J, Power J, Lucke J
Glob Pub Health. 2017 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Hepatitis B and hepatitis C in southeast and southern Asia: challenges for governments.
Wait S, Kell E, Hamid S, Muljono DH, Sollano J, Mohamed R, Shah S, Mamun-Al-Mahtab, Abbas Z, Johnston J, Tanwandee T, Wallace J
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Nov; 1(3):248-255
- Hepatitis B-Related Concerns and Anxieties Among People With Chronic Hepatitis B in Australia.
Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Ngo N, Lucke J, Wallace J
Hepat Mon. 2016 Jun; 16(6):e35566
- Essential components in developing public policy to control viral hepatitis: lessons from Taiwan.
Wallace J, Pitts M, Locarnini S, Ellard J, Carman M, Chen DS
Hepatol Int. 2016 Mar; 10(2):355-362
- Investigating combination HIV prevention: isolated interventions or complex system.
Graham Brown, Daniel Reeders, Gary W Dowsett, Jeanne Ellard, Marina Carman, Natalie Hendry, Jack Wallace
J Int AIDS Soc. 2015 Dec; 18:20499
- Hepatitis B knowledge and associated factors among people with chronic hepatitis B.
Behzad Hajarizadeh, Jack Wallace, Jacqui Richmond, Naomi Ngo, Chris Enright
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015 Dec; 39(6):563-568
- Salvaging a prison needle and syringe program trial in Australia requires leadership and respect for evidence.
Stoové M, Treloar CJ, Maher L, Tyrrell H, Wallace J
Med J Aust. 2015 Oct; 203(8):319-320
- From the big three to the big four.
Chen DS, Locarnini S, Wallace J
Lancet Infect Dis. 2015 Jun; 15(6):626-627
- Patients' perspectives on the delivery of hepatitis B management and care.
Jacqueline Richmond, Behzad Hajarizadeh, Jack Wallace
Aust Fam Physician. 2015 Jun; 44(6):346
News Articles (3)