My research looks at hepatitis B as a phenomenon where the biomedical, social, economic and political intersect, and investigates how viral hepatitis affects individuals and communities and shapes social relations and social practices. My projects have included needs assessments of hepatitis B in Australia and China, policy assessments of viral hepatitis in Taiwan, Indonesia and Tasmania, and investigations into how people with hepatitis B and health care workers understand and respond to hepatitis B.
I have worked in community, government and research sectors seeking to reduce the personal and community impact of blood borne viruses, particularly viral hepatitis. My role prior to undertaking research work was establishing the national peak organisation representing people living with viral hepatitis, Hepatitis Australia where I was the Executive Officer between 1998 and 2005. My previous positions included managing a peer-based injecting drug user organisation in Queensland and as the Principal Program Advisor – Hepatitis C, for Queensland Health.
I am a Chief Investigator on two Australian Research Council projects: Strengthening Community Responses to Chronic Hepatitis B, and “my health, our family”. Both of these projects looks at different aspects of the familial, social and cultural responses of hepatitis B to support the development of better public health policy, both nationally and internationally.
- Adjunct Research Fellow, La Trobe University
- Adjunct Lecturer, Centre for Social Research in Health, UNSW Arts and Social Sciences
- Executive and Founding member, Coalition to Eradicate Viral Hepatitis in Asia Pacific (CEVHAP)
- 2018, Senior Research Officer, Burnet Institute
- 2007 - 2017, Research Fellow, Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society
- 1998- 2004, Executive Officer, Hepatitis Australia
- 1996-1998, Principal Program Adviser (Hepatitis C), Queensland Health
- PhD, La Trobe University
- Master of Social Sciences (International Development), RMIT
- Aiming for the elimination of viral hepatitis in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Territories: where are we now and barriers to meeting WHO targets by 2030.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Cowie BC, Doyle J, Getehun A, Ward J, Gane E, Cunningham C, Wallace J, Lee A, Malani J, Thompson A, Hellard ME
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Achieving a hepatitis C cure: a qualitative exploration of the experiences and meanings of achieving a hepatitis C cure using the direct acting antivirals in Australia.
Richmond JA, Ellard J, Wallace J, Thorpe R, Higgs P, Hellard M, Thompson A
Hepatol Med Policy. 2018 Aug; 3:8
- The hepatitis B epidemic and the urgent need for cure preparedness.
Lazarus JV, Block T, Bréchot C, Kramvis A, Miller V, Ninburg M, Pénicaud C, Protzer U, Razavi H, Thomas LA, Wallace J, Cowie BC
Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2018 Jul; 25(9):1089-1098
- Hidden carers for an increasingly hidden illness? A scoping review of the needs of informal carers of people with HIV in the contemporary treatment era.
Myra Hamilton, Jessica Botfield, Christy Newman, Asha Persson, kylie valentine, Joanne Bryant, Jack Wallace.
International Journal of Carers and Caring. 2018 Jun; Accepted for Publication
- Implementation of hepatitis C cure in Australia: one year on.
Richmond JA, Wallace J
J Virus Erad. 2018 Apr; 4(2):115-117
- Untangling the conflation of ‘young adults’ and ‘young people’ in STI and sexual health policy and sex education.
Hendry NA, Brown G, Carman M, Ellard J, Wallace J, Dowsett GW
Sex Education. 2018 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Families Living with Blood-Borne Viruses: The Case for Extending the Concept of "Serodiscordance".
Asha Persson, Christy E Newman, Myra Hamilton, Joanne Bryant, Jack Wallace, Kylie Valentine
Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2017 Oct; 2017:4352783
- Addressing cultural diversity: the hepatitis B clinical specialist perspective.
Wallace J, Smith E, Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Lucke J
Ethn Health. 2017 Aug
- More than a virus: a qualitative study of the social implications of hepatitis B infection in China.
Wallace J, Pitts M, Liu C, Lin V, Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Locarnini S
Int J Equity Health. 2017 Aug; 16:137
- Hepatitis B testing and diagnosis experiences of patients and primary care professionals in Australia.
Richmond J, Smith E, Wallace J, Duncan D, Lucke J
Aust Fam Physician. 2017 Jul; 46(7):513-519
- Eradicating hepatitis C: The need for a public health response.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Ellard J, Power J, Lucke J
Glob Pub Health. 2017 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Hepatitis B and hepatitis C in southeast and southern Asia: challenges for governments.
Wait S, Kell E, Hamid S, Muljono DH, Sollano J, Mohamed R, Shah S, Mamun-Al-Mahtab, Abbas Z, Johnston J, Tanwandee T, Wallace J
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Nov; 1(3):248-255
- Hepatitis B-Related Concerns and Anxieties Among People With Chronic Hepatitis B in Australia.
Hajarizadeh B, Richmond J, Ngo N, Lucke J, Wallace J
Hepat Mon. 2016 Jun; 16(6):e35566
- Essential components in developing public policy to control viral hepatitis: lessons from Taiwan.
Wallace J, Pitts M, Locarnini S, Ellard J, Carman M, Chen DS
Hepatol Int. 2016 Mar; 10(2):355-362
- Investigating combination HIV prevention: isolated interventions or complex system.
Graham Brown, Daniel Reeders, Gary W Dowsett, Jeanne Ellard, Marina Carman, Natalie Hendry, Jack Wallace
J Int AIDS Soc. 2015 Dec; 18:20499
- Salvaging a prison needle and syringe program trial in Australia requires leadership and respect for evidence.
Stoové M, Treloar CJ, Maher L, Tyrrell H, Wallace J
Med J Aust. 2015 Oct; 203(8):319-320
- From the big three to the big four.
Chen DS, Locarnini S, Wallace J
Lancet Infect Dis. 2015 Jun; 15(6):626-627
News Articles (2)