Michael has worked at the Burnet Institute since 2017, and is an epidemiologist and post-doctoral research officer in the HIV Prevention and Surveillance & Evaluation working groups. Michael’s research involves analysing large surveillance data to examine epidemiological trends in infectious diseases and evaluate large-scale public health interventions, with a particular focus on HIV and bacterial STIs.
Michael is also a Research Fellow at the Department of Population Medicine, Harvard Medical School in Boston, USA, where he works on a range of projects related to HIV prevention among key populations.
Michael completed his PhD at Burnet Institute in 2022, where he explored the interplay between HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) implementation and the epidemiology of bacterial STIs among gay and bisexual men in Australia.
Key research interests include: infectious disease epidemiology, disease surveillance, HIV & STI prevention, biostatistics and sexual health.
- 2017: Master of Science (Epidemiology), University of Melbourne
- 2014: Bachelor of Science, University of Melbourne
- 2022: Australasian Sexual and Reproductive Health Alliance (ASRHA) Young Leader Award 2022
- 2022: Fulbright Future Scholarship, Australian-American Fulbright Commission
- 2021: Gilead Australia Fellowship
ACCESS: The Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections
Blood-borne virus and STI self-testing❗Student Projects Available
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
- Why risk matters for STI control: who are those at greatest risk and how are they identified?
Traeger M, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2022 Aug; 19(4):265-277
- Impact of COVID-19 lockdown restrictions on hepatitis C testing in Australian primary care services providing care for people who inject drugs.
Traeger MW, van Santen DK, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Carter A, Doyle JS, Pedrana A, Wilkinson AL, Howell J, Thatcher R, Didlick J, Donovan B, Guy R, Hellard ME, Stoové MA; Australia Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood Borne Viruses (ACCESS).
J Viral Hepat. 2022 Jun; 29(10):908-918
- Latent Class Analysis of Sexual Behaviours and Attitudes to Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Gay and Bisexual Men Using PrEP.
Traeger MW, Murphy D, Ryan KE, Asselin J, Cornelisse VJ, Wilkinson AL, Hellard ME, Wright EJ, Stoové MA
AIDS Behav. 2022 Jun; 26(6):1808-1820
- Real-world trends in incidence of bacterial sexually transmissible infections among gay and bisexual men using HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in Australia following nationwide PrEP implementation: an analysis of sentinel surveillance data.
Traeger MW, Guy R, Asselin J, Patel P, Carter A, Wright EJ, Grulich A, McManus H, Fairley CK, Chow EPF, McNulty A, Finlayson R, Bell C, Owen L, Marshall L, Russell D, O'Donnell D, Donovan B, Hellard ME, Stoové MA; Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood Borne Viruses (ACCESS) Study Group.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2022 May; 22(8):1231-1241
- The impact of point-of-care hepatitis C testing in needle and syringe exchange programs on linkage to care and treatment uptake among people who inject drugs: An Australian pilot study.
Howell J, Traeger MW, Williams B, Layton C, Doyle JS, Latham N, Draper B, Bramwell F, Membrey D, McPherson M, Roney J, Stoové M, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME, Pedrana A
J Viral Hepat. 2022 May; 29(5):375-384
- HIV prevention in a time of COVID-19: A report from the HIVR4P // Virtual conference 2021.
Laher F, Richardson SI, Smith P, Sullivan P, Abrahams AG, Asowata OE, Bitangumutwenzi P, Dabee S, Dollah A, Fernandez N, Langat RK, Bose DL, Likhitwonnawut U, Mullick R, Resop RS, Sutar J, Thompson-Hall AN, Traeger MW, Tuyishime M, Wambui J, Bekker LG, Kaleebu P, McCormack S, O'Connor DH, Warren M, Torri T, Thyagarajan B
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2022 May; 38(5):350-358
- Hepatitis C antibody testing among opioid agonist therapy recipients, Victoria, Australia, 2012 to 2020.
Dawe J, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Carter A, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Thomas AJ, Curtis M, Cooper M, Howell J, Doyle JS, Hellard ME, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS).
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Apr; 104:103696
- Hepatitis C incidence among patients attending primary care health services that specialise in the care of people who inject drugs, Victoria, Australia, 2009 to 2020.
Wilkinson AL, van Santen DK, Traeger MW, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Scott N, Harney BL, Doyle JS, El-Hayek C, Howell J, Bramwell F, McManus H, Donovan B, Stoové M, Hellard M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 103:103655
- Real-world monitoring progress towards the elimination of hepatitis C virus in Australia using sentinel surveillance of primary care clinics; an ecological study of hepatitis C virus antibody tests from 2009 to 2019.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Nguyen L, Polkinghorne V, Doyle JS, Thompson AJ, Howell J, Scott N, Dimech W, Guy R, Hellard M, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS)
Epidemiol Infect. 2022 Jan; 150:e7
- The Incidence of Hepatitis C Among Gay, Bisexual, and Other Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia, 2009-2019.
Harney BL, Sacks-Davis R, van Santen DK, Traeger M, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Fairley CK, Roth N, Bloch M, Matthews G, Donovan B, Guy R, Stoové M, Hellard ME, Doyle JS; Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood-borne Viruses (ACCESS).
Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Jan; 74(10):1804-1811
- Improvements in transition times through the HIV cascade of care among gay and bisexual men with a new HIV diagnosis in New South Wales and Victoria, Australia (2012-19): a longitudinal cohort study.
van Santen DK, Asselin J, Haber NA, Traeger MW, Callander D, Donovan B, El-Hayek C, McMahon JH, Petoumenos K, McManus H, Hoy JF, Hellard M, Guy R, Stoové M; TAIPAN investigators.
Lancet HIV. 2021 Sep; 8(10):e623-e632
- The Presence or Absence of Symptoms Among Cases of Urethral Gonorrhoea Occurring in a Cohort of Men Taking Human Immunodeficiency Virus Pre-exposure Prophylaxis in the PrEPX Study.
Donovan LC, Fairley CK, Aung ET, Traeger MW, Wright EJ, Stoové MA, Chow EPF
Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021 Jun; 8(6):ofab263
- Barriers and facilitators to pre-exposure prophylaxis among African migrants in high income countries: a systematic review.
Mwaturura C, Traeger M, Lemoh C, Stoové M, Price B, Coelho A, Mikola M, Ryan KE, Wright E
Sex Health. 2021 May; 18(2):130-139
- Low incidence of hepatitis C among a cohort of HIV-negative gay and bisexual men using HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in Melbourne, Australia, and the contribution of sexual transmission.
Cornelisse VJ, Traeger MW, Wright EJ, Murphy D, Stoove M, Hellard M, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Fairley CK, Doyle J, Sasawdeusz J
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Mar; 87(4):1011-1015
- Changes in HIV preexposure prophylaxis prescribing in Australian clinical services following COVID-19 restrictions.
Traeger MW, Patel P, Guy R, Hellard ME, Stoové MA for the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance (ACCESS)
AIDS. 2021 Jan; 35(1):155-157
- Micro-elimination of hepatitis C among people with HIV coinfection: declining incidence and prevalence accompanying a multi-center treatment scale-up trial.
Doyle JS, van Santen DK, Iser D, Sasadeusz J, O'Reilly M, Harney B, Traeger MW, Roney J, Cutts JC, Bowring AL, Winter R, Medland N, Fairley CK, Moore R, Tee B, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Hoy JF, Matthews GV, Prins M, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan; 73(7):e2164–e2172
- The potential impact of a gel-based point-of-sex intervention in reducing gonorrhoea incidence among gay and bisexual men: a modelling study.
Traeger MW, Tidhar T, Holt M, Williams C, Wright EJ, Stoové MA, Scott N, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2020 Jul; 47(10):649-657
- The impact of universal access to direct-acting antiviral therapy on the hepatitis C cascade of care among individuals attending primary and community health services.
Traeger MW, Pedrana AE, van Santen DK, Doyle JS, Howell J, Thompson AJ, El-Hayek C, Asselin J, Polkinghorne V, Membrey D, Bramwell F, Carter A, Guy R, Stoové MA, Hellard ME; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Blood-borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections (ACCESS)
PLoS One. 2020 Jun; 15(6):e0235445
- Trends in human immunodeficiency virus and sexually transmitted Infection testing among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men after rapid scale-up of preexposure prophylaxis in Victoria, Australiaia.
Ryan KE, Asselin J, Fairley CK, Armishaw J, Lal L, Nguyen L, Murphy D, Traeger M, Hellard M, Hoy J, Stoové M, Wright E; PrEPX Study team
Sex Transm Dis. 2020 Apr; 47(8):516-552
- HIV incidence and factors associated with testing positive for HIV among men who have sex with men and transgender women in Myanmar: data from community-based HIV testing services.
Veronese V, Traeger M, Oo ZM, Tun TT, Oo NN, Maung H, Hughes C, Pedrana A, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 Feb; 23(2):e25454
- Association of HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis With Incidence of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Individuals at High Risk of HIV Infection.
Traeger MW, Cornelisse VJ, Asselin J, Price B, Roth NJ, Willcox J, Tee BK, Fairley CK, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Vujovic O, Penn M, Cundill P, Forgan-Smith G, Gall J, Pickett C, Lal L, Mak A, Spelman TD, Nguyen L, Murphy DA, Ryan KE, El-Hayek C, West M, Ruth S, Batrouney C, Lockwood JT, Hoy JF, Hellard ME, Stoové MA, Wright EJ; PrEPX Study Team
JAMA. 2019 Apr; 321(14):1380-1390
News Articles (11)