Dr Alyce Wilson is a Public Health Registrar and Senior Research Fellow working in global maternal, child and adolescent health.
She is a medical doctor with additional expertise in public health, obstetrics and gynaecology and nutrition and dietetics. Alyce continues to work clinically at the Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne and is also a lecturer in the Melbourne Medical School at the University of Melbourne.
Alyce is an advanced trainee of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM), within the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) and is currently undertaking a PhD examining the quality of maternal and child health care in Papua New Guinea.
She has a broad range of experience in education and training, implementation research, public health programming, health promotion, communications and policy development within maternal and newborn health and nutrition programs in Australia and globally.
- 2021 – present: Clinical Senior Fellow (Hon), Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne/Mercy Hospital
- 2020 – present: Co-Chair, International Consortium on Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights
- 2020 – present: Policy and Advocacy Committee Member, Victorian Registrar Representative, Chair National Trainees Committee, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2019 – present: Affiliate Senior Lecturer, Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food, Monash University
- 2018 – present: Editorial Board Member, O&G Magazine, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2018 – present: Australia/New Zealand Steering Committee Member, Need for Nutrition/Education Innovation Programme (NNEdPro), Cambridge University
- 2018 – current: Public Health Registrar and Senior Research Fellow (Burnet Institute)
- 2018 – current: Medical Doctor (Royal Women’s Hospital)
- 2014 – current: Senior Lecturer (Melbourne Medical School, University of Melbourne)
- 2018 – Diploma of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2018 – Master of Public Health, University of Melbourne
- 2015 – Doctor of Medicine, University of Melbourne
- 2008 – Bachelor of Health Sciences Honours, Deakin University
- 2007 – Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics, Monash University
COVID-19 Journey Project
Experiences of receiving or providing maternity care during CoVID-19 pandemic: The CovMat Study
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
HMHB - Health Services for Postnatal and Infancy Care
HMHB: Quality of Pregnancy, Childbirth and Newborn Health Services Study
Mapping of COVID-19-related pregnancy and perinatal research in Australia
Optimising Quarantine Study
Rapid review of maternal health recommendations related to the COVID-19 pandemic
SCOOP: Strengthening COVID-19 Communication in Pregnancy
- Childbearing women's experiences of the maternity care system in Australia during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sweet L, Wilson AN, Bradfield Z, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wynter K, Vasilevski V
Women Birth. 2021 Sep; Epub ahead of print
- The Optimise Study: Information access and communication about COVID-19. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S, Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Wilson A, Caddy C, Lim M, Vogel J, Power R, Coghlan B, Cheong M, Bradfield Z, Homer C, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Sep; Report 10:1-13
- Australian women's experiences of receiving maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: A cross-sectional national survey.
Wilson AN, Sweet L, Vasilevski V, Hauck Y, Wynter K, Kuliukas L, Szabo RA, Homer CSE, Bradfield Z
Birth. 2021 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Defining Preterm Birth and Stillbirth in the Western Pacific: A Systematic Review.
Connolly M, Phung L, Farrington E, Scoullar MJL, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2021 Jun; 33(5):489-501
- The prevalence of uterine fundal pressure during the second stage of labour for women giving birth in health facilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Farrington E, Connolly M, Phung L, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Bohren MA, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Reprod Health. 2021 May; 18(1):98
- Intravenous oxytocin dosing regimens for postpartum hemorrhage prevention at cesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Phung LC, Farrington EK, Connolly M, Wilson AN, Carvalho B, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 May; 225(3):250-263
- Receiving maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: Experiences of women's partners and support persons.
Vasilevski V, Sweet L, Bradfield Z, Wilson AN, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wynter K
Women Birth. 2021 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Rethinking the use of 'vulnerable'.
Munari SC, Wilson AN, Blow NJ, Homer CSE, Ward JE
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2021 Apr; 45(3):197-199
- Experiences of receiving and providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia: A five-cohort cross-sectional comparison.
Bradfield Z, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Homer CSE, Sweet L
PLoS One. 2021 Mar; 16(3):e0248488
- Public health physicians: who are they and why we need more of them - especially in Victoria.
Wilson AN, Moodie R, Grills N
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2021 Mar; 45(2):93-94
- Becoming a mother in the 'new' social world in Australia during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sweet L, Bradfield Z, Vasilevski V, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wilson AN
Midwifery. 2021 Mar; 98:102996
- Midwives' experiences of providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia.
Bradfield Z, Hauck Y, Homer CSE, Sweet L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Wynter K, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L
Women Birth. 2021 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- 'No-Frills Prils': GPs' views on drug costs and therapeutic interchange of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors: a qualitative study.
Lim H, Sanci L, Webster S, Wilson AN, Lau P
Aust J Prim Health. 2021 Mar; 27(2):152-157
- Women's sleep position during pregnancy in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review.
Rossiter SK, Aziz S, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Stacey T, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Reprod Health. 2021 Mar; 18(1):53
- The cost-effectiveness of tranexamic acid for treatment of postpartum hemorrhage: A systematic review.
Aziz S, Rossiter S, Homer CSE, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Scott N, Vogel JP
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- A cross sectional study of midwifery students' experiences of COVID-19: Uncertainty and expendability.
Kuliukas L, Hauck Y, Sweet L, Vasilevski V, Homer C, Wynter K, Wilson A, Szabo R, Bradfield Z
Nurse Educ Pract. 2021 Feb; 51:102988
- Covid-19 changes to maternity care: Experiences of Australian doctors.
Szabo RA, Wilson AN, Homer C, Vasilevski V, Sweet L, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Bradfield Z
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2021 Feb; 61(3):408-415
- Pregnant women voice their concerns and birth expectations during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy.
Ravaldi C, Wilson A, Ricca V, Homer C, Vannacci A
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(4):335-343
- Clinical guidelines for caring for women with COVID-19 during pregnancy, childbirth and the immediate postpartum period.
Pavlidis P, Eddy K, Phung L, Farrington E, Connolly M, Lopes R, Wilson AN, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(5):455-464
- Caring for the carers: Ensuring the provision of quality maternity care during a global pandemic.
Wilson AN, Ravaldi C, Scoullar MJL, Vogel JP, Szabo RA, Fisher JRW, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(3):206-209
- Assessing the quality of antenatal corticosteroids in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review.
Mosoro E, Wilson AN, Homer CSE, Vogel J
PLoS One. 2020 Dec; 15(12):e0243034
- Associations of gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes during pregnancy with breastfeeding at hospital discharge and up to 6 months: the PANDORA study.
Danielle K Longmore, Elizabeth L M Barr, Alyce N Wilson, Federica Barzi, Marie Kirkwood, Alison Simmonds, I-Lynn Lee, Eyvette Hawthorne, Paula Van Dokkum, Christine Connors, Jacqueline A Boyle, Paul Zimmet, Kerin O'Dea, Jeremy Oats, Harold D McIntyre, Alex D H Brown, Jonathan E Shaw, Louise J Maple-Brown
Diabetologia. 2020 Dec; 63(12):2571-2581
- Previous psychopathology predicted severe COVID-19 concern, anxiety, and PTSD symptoms in pregnant women during "lockdown" in Italy.
Ravaldi C, Ricca V, Wilson A, Homer C, Vannacci A
Arch Womens Ment Health. 2020 Nov; 23 :783-786
- Cost-effectiveness of uterine tamponade devices for the treatment of postpartum haemorrhage: A systematic review.
Vogel JP, Wilson AN, Scott N, Widmer M, Althabe F, Oladapo OT
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020 Sep; 151(3):333-340
- Self-care and remote care during pregnancy: a new paradigm?
Gülmezoglu AM, Ammerdorffer A, Narasimhan M, Wilson AN, Vogel JP, Say L, Tunçalp Ö
Health Res Policy Syst. 2020 Sep; 18(1):107
- Wilson and Homer reply to Papadakis.
Wilson AN, Homer CSE
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Jun; 60(3):E7
- Editorial: Words matter; language matters.
Homer C, Wilson A, Davis D
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(2):105-106
- Third- and fourth-degree tears: A review of the current evidence for prevention and management.
Wilson AN, Homer CSE
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Feb; 60(2):175-182
- Traditional food availability and consumption in remote Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory, Australia.
Ferguson M, Brown C, Georga C, Miles E, Wilson A, Brimblecombe J
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2017 Jun; 41(3):294-298
- Low rates of predominant breastfeeding in hospital after gestational diabetes, particularly among Indigenous women in Australia.
Chamberlain CR, Wilson AN, Amir LH, O'Dea K, Campbell S, Leonard D, Ritte R, Mulcahy M, Eades S, Wolfe R
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2017 Apr; 41(2):144-150
News Articles (13)