After completing her Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree in 2006, Hayley went on to pursue her Honours and PhD degrees in the laboratory of Professor Brendan Crabb at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute and later at the Burnet Institute. Her work centered on deciphering the roles of novel membrane protein complexes in the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum, specifically the export machinery termed PTEX.
After completing her PhD studies, Hayley moved to the laboratory of Professor Dominique Soldati-Favre at the University of Geneva, Switzerland where she continued her research on model Apicomplexan parasite Toxoplasma gondii. Her she deciphered the signaling mechanisms underpinning a key step in the invasion process of T. gondii.
In late 2015 Hayley moved back to the Burnet Institute in the laboratory of Professor Brendan Crabb and Dr Paul Gilson, whereupon she initiated mechanism of action studies on the WEB series of compounds, and investigations into novel aspect of protein export.
- 2012: PhD in parasitology (Plasmodium falciparum) The Burnet Institute/ The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Victoria, Australia.
- 2015: Masters in Public Health, The University of Newcastle
- 2007: Bachelor of Science (Honours), The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- 2006: Bachelor of Biomedical Science, The University of Melbourne
- 2015: Fondation Gertrude von Meissner award (not accepted)
- 2014: EMBO short term fellowship (not accepted)
- 2012: OzeMalAR travel fellowship
- 2011: Australian Society for Parasitology student travel award
- 2011: Miller foundation biomedical research travel award-Burnet Institute
- 2010: Victorian Infection and Immunity network student symposium best speaker award
- 2009: Australian Society for Parasitology student travel award
- 2008-2012: Australian Postgraduate Award-University of Melbourne
- 2007: Alan W. Harris Honors scholarship- The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- 2007: The University of Melbourne Honors scholarship
- Knockdown of the translocon protein EXP2 in Plasmodium falciparum reduces growth and protein export.
Charnaud SC, Kumarasingha R, Bullen HE, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
PLoS One. 2018 Nov; 13(11):e0204785
- Spatial organisation of protein export in malaria parasite blood stages.
Charnaud SC, Jonsdottir TK, Sanders PR, Bullen HE, Dickerman BK, Kouskousis B, Palmer CS, Pietrzak HM, Laumaea AE, Erazo AB, McHugh E, Tilley L, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Traffic. 2018 Apr; 19(8):605-623
- Plasmodium falciparum parasites deploy RhopH2 into the host erythrocyte to obtain nutrients, grow and replicate.
Counihan N, Chisholm SA, Bullen HE, Srivastava A, Sanders PR, Jonsdottir TK, Weiss GE, Ghosh S, Crabb BS, Creek DJ, Gilson PR, de Koning-Ward TF
eLife. 2017 Mar; 6(pii):e23217
- Optimization of 2-anilino 4-amino substituted quinazolines into potent antimalarial agents with oral in vivo activity.
Gilson PR, Tan C, Jarman KE, Lowes KN, Curtis JM, Nguyen W, Di Rago AE, Bullen HE, Prinz B, Duffy S, Baell JB, Hutton CA, Jousset Sabroux H, Crabb BS, Avery VM, Cowman AF, Sleebs BE
J Med Chem. 2017 Jan; 60(3):1171-1188
- Disrupting the allosteric interaction between the Plasmodium falciparum cAMP-dependent kinase and its regulatory subunit.
Littler DR, Bullen HE, Harvey KL, Beddoe T, Crabb BS, Rossjohn J, Gilson PR
J Biol Chem. 2016 Dec; 291(49):25375-25386
- A central role for phosphatidic acid as a lipid mediator of regulated exocytosis in Apicomplexa.
Bullen HE, Soldati-Favre D
FEBS Lett. 2016 Jul; 590(15):2469-2481
- Proteomic analysis reveals novel proteins associated with the Plasmodium protein exporter PTEX and a loss of complex stability upon truncation of the core PTEX component, PTEX150.
Elsworth B, Sanders PR, Nebl T, Batinovic S, Kalanon M, Nie CQ, Charnaud SC, Bullen HE, de Koning Ward TF, Tilley L, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Cell Microbiol. 2016 Mar; 18(11):1551-1569
- Spatial association with PTEX complexes defines regions for effector export into Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes.
Riglar DT, Rogers KL, Hanssen E, Turnbull L, Bullen HE, Charnaud SC, Przyborski J, Gilson PR, Whitchurch CB, Crabb BS, Baum J, Cowman AF
Nat Commun. 2013 Jan; 4:1415
- Host cell remodelling and protein trafficking.
Haase S, Bullen HE, Charnaud SC, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, de Koning-Ward TF
in Malaria Parasites: Comparative Genomics , Evolution and Molecular Biology Ed. Carlton JM, Perkins SL, Deitsch KW. 2013 Jan; pp:199-219
- Recent insights into the export of PEXEL/HTS-motif containing proteins in Plasmodium parasites.
Bullen HE, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Curr Opin Microbiol. 2012 Oct; 152(6):699-704
- Biosynthesis, localisation and macromolecular arrangement of the Plasmodium falciparum translocon of exported proteins; PTEX.
Bullen HE, Charnaud SC, Kalanon M, Riglar DT, Dekiwadia C, Kangwanrangsan N, Torii M, Tsuboi T, Baum J, Ralph SA, Cowman AF, de Koning-Ward TF, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
J Biol Chem. 2012 Jan; 287(11):7871-7884
News Articles (1)