Steve Graham is a paediatrician with 20 years of clinical and research experience in international child health in African and Asia-Pacific regions. Particular interests include child tuberculosis, pneumonia and invasive bacterial disease especially invasive salmonellosis in tropical Africa. Steve completed his PhD on the impact of HIV on respiratory disease in Malawian children, which included two first-author Lancet publications. His particular current research interest is to improve implementation of child TB management and prevention in the resource-limited setting.
Since returning to Australia in 2008, Steve has developed collaborative links in Asian-Pacific region, including research projects in Indonesia, Bangladesh and Vietnam. Steve has provided technical assistance on child TB to National TB control Programmes in the region including Indonesia, The Philippines, Lao PDR, Myanmar, China and PNG. He works closely with the World Health Organization in the development of international guidelines and training tools for the management of child TB.
- 2014- Senior Principal Research Fellow, Burnet Institute, Melbourne
- 2013- Professor of International Child Health, University of Melbourne
- 2011- Honorary Fellow, Menzies School of Health Research, Northern Territory
- 2009- Honorary Consultant Paediatrician, Royal Children’s Hospital
- 2009- Paediatric consultant, North Richmond Community Health
- 2008- Consultant in Child Lung Health, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- 2008- Honorary Research Fellow and Group Leader, International Child Health, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
- 2008- Honorary Senior Lecturer, School of Tropical Medicine, University of Liverpool, UK
- 2008- Associate Professor of International Child Health, University of Melbourne
World Health Organization:
- 2011: Chair, Stop TB Partnership Child TB subgroup
- 2003-2011: Vice-chair, Stop TB Partnership Child TB subgroup
- 2012: Member, Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Tuberculosis
- 2014: Chair, Western Pacific Regional Taskforce on child tuberculosis
National Institutes of Health, USA:
- 2011-14: Member, IMPAACT Tuberculosis Scientific Committee
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, France:
- 2001-7 :Clinical Research Fellow and Deputy Director, Malawi-Liverpool-Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, College of Medicine University of Malawi, Malawi
- 2001-7: Senior Clinical Lecturer, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
- 2000: Research Fellow, Department of Medical Microbiology and Genitourinary Medicine, University of Liverpool, UK
- 1999: Thomas Marks Fellow, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
- 1999: Locum Medical Officer, Karonga Prevention Study (Wellcome Trust and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) Chilumba, Malawi
- 1997-98 : Senior Lecturer in Paediatrics: College of Medicine, University of Malawi
- 1995-96 : Lecturer in Paediatrics: College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Malawi
- 1993-96: Lecturer in Tropical Child Health: Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
- 1981: MB BS, University of Sydney, Australia
- 1992: FRACP, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Australia
- 1993: Diploma in Tropical Child Health, University of Liverpool, UK – Distinction
- 2010: PhD, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
From Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine:
- Cicely Williams Memorial Medal: 1993
- Leverhulme Medal for distinguished contribution to tropical medicine: 2007
Building a Centre of Excellence for Research and Training for DR-TB in Daru, Papua New Guinea
ESCAPE-TB: Enhanced screening and preventive therapy for TB in Daru, PNG
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
RID-TB: Reducing the Impact of Drug-Resistant TB in Western Province, PNG
The Social and Cultural Determinants of TB in Daru [SCuD-TB Daru – Study 1]
- Scaling up tuberculosis preventive therapy for contacts in high transmission settings
Majumdar SS, Triasih R, Grham SM
Lancet Glob Health. 2020 May; 8:e617-e618
- Tuberculosis contact investigation and short-course preventive therapy among young children in Africa.
Schwoebel V, Koura KG, Adjobimey M, Gnanou S, Wandji AG, Gody JC, Delacourt C, Detjen A, Graham SM, Masserey E, Mselatti P, Roggi A, Trébucq A
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2020 Apr; 24(4):452-460
- Tuberculosis in pregnant women and neonates: A meta-review of current evidence.
Snow KJ, Bekker A, Huang GK, Graham SM
Paediatr Respir Rev. 2020 Feb; 36:27-32
- Adolescent tuberculosis.
Snow KJ, Cruz AT, Seddon JA, Ferrand RA, Chiang SS, Hughes JA, Kampmann B, Graham SM, Dood PJ, Houben RM, Denholm JT, Sawyer SM, Kranzer K
Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2020 Jan; 4(1):68-79
- The SORT IT model for building operational research capacity: the experience of TB service providers in PNG.
Aia P, Majumdar SS, Pomat W, Tefuarani N, Graham SM, Dakulala P
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S1-S2
- Challenges in TB diagnosis and treatment: the Kavieng Provincial Hospital experience, Papua New Guinea.
Sodeng K, Botu A, Semmie M, Yoannes M, Shewade HD, Commons R, Graham SM, du Cros P
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S57-S61
- Outcomes in children treated for tuberculosis with the new dispersible fixed-dose combinations in Port Moresby.
Apis V, Landi M, Graham SM, Islam T, Amini J, Sabumi G, Mandalakas AM, Meae T, du Cros P, Shewade HD, Welch H
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S32-S37
- Implementation of screening and management of household contacts of tuberculosis cases in Daru, Papua New Guinea
Honjepari A, Madiowi S, Madjus S, Burkot C, Islam S, Chan G, Majumdar SS, Graham SM
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S25-S31
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis diagnosis since Xpert® MTB/RIF introduction in Papua New Guinea, 2012–2017
Lavu EK, Johnson K, Banamu J, Pandey S, Carter R, Coulter C, Aia P, Majumdar SS, Marais BJ, Graham SM, Vince J
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S12-S18
- Telemedicine in resource-limited settings to optimize care for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
Huang GKL, Pawape G, Taune M, Hiasihri S, Ustero P, O'Brien DP, du Cros P, Graham S, Wootton R, Majumdar S
Frontiers in Public Health. 2019 Aug; 7:222
- Training for Tuberculosis Elimination in Indonesia: Achievements, Reflections, and Potential for Impact.
Main S, Lestari T, Triasih R, Chan G, Davidson L, Majumdar S, Santoso D, Phung S, Laukkala J, Graham S, du Cros P, Ralph A
Trop Med Infect Dis. 2019 Jul; 4(3):E107
- Building a tuberculosis-free world: The Lancet Commission on tuberculosis.
Reid MJA, Arinaminpathy N, Bloom A, Bloom BR, Boehme C, Chaisson R, Chin DP, Churchyard G, Cox H, Ditiu L, Dybul M, Farrar J, Fauci AS, Fekadu E, Fujiwara PI, Hallett TB, Hanson CL, Harrington M, Herbert N, Hopewell PC, Ikeda C, Jamison DT, Khan AJ, Koek I, Krishnan N, Motsoaledi A, Pai M, Raviglione MC, Sharman A, Small PM, Swaminathan S, Temesgen Z, Vassall A, Venkatesan N, van Weezenbeek K, Yamey G, Agins BD, Alexandru S, Andrews JR, Beyeler N, Bivol S, Brigden G, Cattamanchi A, Cazabon D, Crudu V, Daftary A, Dewan P, Doepel LK, Eisinger RW, Fan V, Fewer S, Furin J, Goldhaber-Fiebert JD, Gomez GB, Graham SM, Gupta D, Kamene M, Khaparde S, Mailu EW, Masini EO, McHugh L, Mitchell E, Moon S, Osberg M, Pande T, Prince L, Rade K, Rao R, Remme M, Seddon JA, Selwyn C, Shete P, Sachdeva KS, Stallworthy G, Vesga JF, Vilc V, Goosby EP
Lancet. 2019 Mar; 393(10178):1331-1384
- Bridging the knowledge-practice gap in tuberculosis contact management in a high-burden setting: a mixed-methods protocol for a multicenter health system strengthening study.
Lestari T, Graham S, van den Boogard C, Triasih R, Poespoprodjo JR, Ubra RR, Kenangalem E, Mahendradhata Y, Anstey NM, Bailie RS, Ralph AP
Implement Sci. 2019 Mar; 14(1):31
- Counting children with tuberculosis: why numbers matter.
Seddon JA, Jenkins HE, Liu L, Cohen T, Black RE, Vos T, Becerra MC, Graham SM, Sismanidis C, Dodd PJ
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2015 Dec; 19(Suppl 1):S9-S16
- The background and rationale for a new fixed-dose combination for first-line treatment of tuberculosis in children.
Graham SM, Grzemska M, Gie RP
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2015 Dec; 19 Suppl 1:S3-S8
- Clinical Case Definitions for Classification of Intrathoracic Tuberculosis in Children: An Update.
Graham SM, Cuevas LE, Jean-Philippe P, Browning R, Casenghi M, Detjen AK, Gnanashanmugam D, Hesseling AC, Kampmann B, Mandalakas A, Marais BJ, Schito M, Spiegel HM, Starke JR, Worrell C, Zar HJ
Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Oct; 61(suppl 3):S179-S187
- A Blueprint to Address Research Gaps in the Development of Biomarkers for Pediatric Tuberculosis.
Nicol MP, Gnanashanmugam D, Browning R, Click ES, Cuevas LE, Detjen A, Graham SM, Levin M, Makhene M, Nahid P, Perez-Velez CM, Reither K, Song R, Spiegel HM, Worrell C, Zar HJ, Walzl G
Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Oct; 61(suppl 3):S164-S172
- Tuberculosis as a cause or comorbidity of childhood pneumonia in tuberculosis-endemic areas: a systematic review.
Jacquie N Oliwa, Jamlick M Karumbi, Ben J Marais, Shabir A Madhi, Stephen M Graham
Lancet Respir Med. 2015 Mar; 3(3):235-243
- Risk of infection and disease with Mycobacterium tuberculosis among children identified through prospective community-based contact screening in Indonesia.
Rina Triasih, Colin Robertson, Trevor Duke, Stephen M Graham
Trop Med Int Health. 2015 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Morbidity and mortality in hospitalised neonates in central Vietnam.
Hoang T Tran, Lex W Doyle, Katherine J Lee, Na M Dang, Stephen M Graham
Acta Paediatr. 2015 Feb
- A prospective evaluation of the symptom-based screening approach to the management of children who are contacts of tuberculosis cases.
Rina Triasih, Colin F Robertson, Trevor Duke, Stephen M Graham
Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Jan; 60(1):12-18
- Editorial commentary: molecular diagnosis of child pneumonia: high yield, uncertain specificity.
Stephen M Graham
Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Sep; 59(5):686-687
- Reducing deaths from severe pneumonia in children in Malawi by improving delivery of pneumonia case management.
Penelope M Enarson, Robert P Gie, Charles C Mwansambo, Ellubey R Maganga, Carl J Lombard, Donald A Enarson, Stephen M Graham
PLoS One. 2014 Jul; 9(7):e102955
- The trend of tuberculosis cases in Fiji's largest treatment centre over 60 years:1950-2010
Tamani T, Bissell K, Taylor-Smith K, Grounder S, Nguyen L, Graham SM
Public Health Action. 2014 Jul; 4:24-26
- Chest radiography for diagnosis of tuberculosis in children: a problem of interpretation.
Stephen M Graham
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2014 Jul; 18(7):757
- Guidance for National Tuberculosis Programmes on the management of tuberculosis in children - Second Edition
Steve Graham (lead author)
Stop TB Partnership Childhood TB Subgroup, World Health Organization. 2014 Jul
- Child TB Training Toolkit.
Graham SM (lead author)
World Health Organization. 2014 Jul
- Importance of tuberculosis control to address child survival.
Stephen M Graham, Charalambos Sismanidis, Heather J Menzies, Ben J Marais, Anne K Detjen, Robert E Black
Lancet. 2014 May; 383(9928):1605-1607
- A prospective study of the prevalence of tuberculosis and bacteraemia in Bangladeshi children with severe malnutrition and pneumonia including an evaluation of Xpert MTB/RIF assay.
Mohammod Jobayer Chisti, Stephen M Graham, Trevor Duke, Tahmeed Ahmed, Hasan Ashraf, Abu Syed Golam Faruque, Sophie La Vincente, Sayera Banu, Rubhana Raqib, Mohammed Abdus Salam
PLoS One. 2014 Apr; 9(4):e93776
- Roadmap for childhood tuberculosis: towards zero deaths.
Graham SM (lead author)
World Health Organization. 2013 Jul
- Requirements for the clinical evaluation of new anti-tuberculosis agents in children.
P R Donald, A Ahmed, W J Burman, M F Cotton, S M Graham, C Mendel, H McIlleron, W R Mac Kenzie, S Nachman, H S Schaaf, J R Starke, C Wingfield, A C Hesseling
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013 Jun; 17(6):794-799
- Preventive therapy in children exposed to Mycobacterium tuberculosis: problems and solutions.
Merrin E Rutherford, Philip C Hill, Rina Triasih, Rebecca Sinfield, Reinout van Crevel, Stephen M Graham
Trop Med Int Health. 2012 Oct; 17(10):1264-1273
- Long-term follow-up of contacts exposed to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Victoria, Australia, 1995-2010.
J T Denholm, D E Leslie, G A Jenkin, J Darby, P D R Johnson, S M Graham, G V Brown, A Sievers, M Globan, L K Brown, E S McBryde
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 Oct; 16(10):1320-1325
- A systematic review of the burden of neonatal morbidity and mortality in the ASEAN region.
Tran HT, Doyle LW, Lee KJ, Graham SM
WHO SE Asian Journal of Public Health. 2012 Jul; 1:239-48
- Scaling up interventions to achieve global tuberculosis control: progress and new developments.
Mario Raviglione, Ben Marais, Katherine Floyd, Knut Lonnroth, Haileyesus Getahun, Giovanni B Migliori, Anthony D Harries, Paul Nunn, Christian Lienhardt, Steve Graham, Jeremiah Chakaya, Karin Weyer, Stewart Cole, Stefan H E Kaufmann, Alimuddin Zumla
Lancet. 2012 May; 379(9829):1902-1913
- Evaluation of tuberculosis diagnostics in children: 1. Proposed clinical case definitions for classification of intrathoracic tuberculosis disease. Consensus from an expert panel.
Stephen M Graham, Tahmeed Ahmed, Farhana Amanullah, Renee Browning, Vicky Cardenas, Martina Casenghi, Luis E Cuevas, Marianne Gale, Robert P Gie, Malgosia Grzemska, Ed Handelsman, Mark Hatherill, Anneke C Hesseling, Patrick Jean-Philippe, Beate Kampmann, Sushil Kumar Kabra, Christian Lienhardt, Jennifer Lighter-Fisher, Shabir Madhi, Mamodikoe Makhene, Ben J Marais, David F McNeeley, Heather Menzies, Charles Mitchell, Surbhi Modi, Lynne Mofenson, Philippa Musoke, Sharon Nachman, Clydette Powell, Mona Rigaud, Vanessa Rouzier, Jeffrey R Starke, Soumya Swaminathan, Claire Wingfield
J Infect Dis. 2012 May; 205 Suppl 2:S199-S208
- Evaluation of tuberculosis diagnostics in children: 2. Methodological issues for conducting and reporting research evaluations of tuberculosis diagnostics for intrathoracic tuberculosis in children. Consensus from an expert panel.
Luis E Cuevas, Renee Browning, Patrick Bossuyt, Martina Casenghi, Mark F Cotton, Andrea T Cruz, Lori E Dodd, Francis Drobniewski, Marianne Gale, Stephen M Graham, Malgosia Grzemska, Norbert Heinrich, Anneke C Hesseling, Robin Huebner, Patrick Jean-Philippe, Sushil Kumar Kabra, Beate Kampmann, Deborah Lewinsohn, Meijuan Li, Christian Lienhardt, Anna M Mandalakas, Ben J Marais, Heather J Menzies, Grace Montepiedra, Charles Mwansambo, Richard Oberhelman, Paul Palumbo, Estelle Russek-Cohen, David E Shapiro, Betsy Smith, Giselle Soto-Castellares, Jeffrey R Starke, Soumya Swaminathan, Claire Wingfield, Carol Worrell
J Infect Dis. 2012 May; 205 Suppl 2:S209-S215
News Articles (23)