Michael completed a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) at Monash University in 2011 and worked in adult intensive case management, homelessness, and youth out-of-home care. Michael joined Burnet Institute as a research assistant in 2014, working primarily on alcohol and other drug and justice-related cohort studies.
Michael commenced as a PhD Student in the Justice Health and Alcohol and Other Drugs groups in 2019 under the supervision of Professors Mark Stoové and Paul Dietze. His research is investigating how the use of opioid substitution therapy during incarceration and post-release influences substance use, health and mortality outcomes among people who inject drugs.
- 2012: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Social Work (Hon) – Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2019: Monash Addiction Research Centre PhD top-up scholarship
- 2012: Peter Boss Prize – Highest final year aggregate mark for Bachelor of Social Work (Hon) program
Breaking the cycle: supporting people with drug use histories to avoid reincarceration
Feasibility study for a potential medically supervised injecting centre/drug consumption service for the ACT
IDRS: Illicit Drug Reporting System
Needle and Syringe Program (NSP) Snapshot Study
SuperMIX: The Melbourne Injecting Drug User Cohort Study
PATH Cohort Study
- It is time for us all to embrace person-centred language for people in prison and people who were formerly in prison.
Harney BL, Korchinski M, Young P, Scow M, Jack K, Linsley P, Bodkin C, Brothers TD, Curtis M, Higgs P, Mead TS, Hart A, Kilroy D, Bonn M, Bartlett SR
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Jan; 99:103455
- Psychiatric well-being among men leaving prison reporting a history of injecting drug use: A longitudinal analysis.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Wilkinson AL, Scott N, Dietze P, Quinn B, Kinner SA, Aitken C, Walker S, Curtis M, Butler T, Ogloff JRP, Stoové M
Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2021 Sep; Epub ahead of print:48674211048143
- Strategies to maximise study retention and limit attrition bias in a prospective cohort study of men reporting a history of injecting drug use released from prison: the prison and transition health study.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Walker S, Wilkinson AL, Quinn B, Dietze P, Winter R, Kirwan A, Curtis M, Ogloff JRP, Kinner S, Aitken C, Butler T, Woods E, Stoové M
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2021 Sep; 21(1):185
- The Prison and Transition Health (PATH) cohort study: Prevalence of health, social, and crime characteristics after release from prison for men reporting a history of injecting drug use in Victoria, Australia.
Stewart AC, Cossar RD, Wilkinson AL, Quinn B, Dietze P, Walker S, Butler T, Curtis M, Aitken C, Kirwan A, Winter R, Ogloff J, Kinner S, Stoové M
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021 Aug; 227:108970
- Integrating episodes of imprisonment and the cascade of care for opioid use disorder.
Cossar R, Stewart A, Winter R, Curtis M, Dietze P, Ogloff JRP, Stoové M
Addiction. 2021 Feb; 116(2):427-428
- Initiation of medications for opioid use disorder shortly before release from prison to promote treatment retention: Strong evidence but compromised policy.
Curtis M, Larney S, Higgs P, Cossar RD, Winter RJ, Stewart AC, Stoové M
J Addict Med. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- ‘Not my child’: parenting, pornography, and views on education.
Davis AC, Wright C, Curtis M, Hellard ME, Lim MSC, Temple-Smith MJ
J Fam Studies. 2021 Jan; 27(4):573-588
- Prison-based harm reduction measures as part of hepatitis C virus treatment.
Curtis M, Higgs P, Stoové M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Dec; 4(12):903
- The Prison and Transition Health (PATH) Cohort Study: Study Protocol and Baseline Characteristics of a Cohort of Men with a History of Injecting Drug Use Leaving Prison in Australia.
Kirwan A, Curtis M, Dietze P, Aitken C, Woods E, Walker S, Kinner S, Ogloff J, Butler T, Stoové M
J Urban Health. 2019 Apr; 96(3):400-410
- Lifetime prevalence and correlates of self-harm and suicide attempts among male prisoners with histories of injecting drug use.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Dietze P, Armstrong G, Curtis M, Kinner SA, Ogloff JRP, Kirwan A, Stoové M
Health Justice. 2018 Oct; 6(1):19
- Acceptability of prison-based take-home naloxone programmes among a cohort of incarcerated men with a history of regular injecting drug use.
Curtis M, Dietze P, Aitken C, Kirwan A, Kinner SA, Butler T, Stoové M
Harm Reduct J. 2018 Sep; 15(1):48
- The associations of poor psychiatric well-being among incarcerated men with injecting drug use histories in Victoria, Australia.
Cossar R, Stoové M, Kinner SA, Dietze P, Aitken C, Curtis M, Kirwan A, Ogloff JRP
Health Justice. 2018 Jan; 6(1):1
News Articles (2)