Dr Alisa Pedrana is recognised as one of Australia’s emerging public health researchers, with a significant track record in HIV and sexual health research and epidemiology, and the application of information communication technology for health promotion.
After completing her PhD in 2012, which focused on better understanding HIV risk and addressing current barriers to testing for gay men in Australia, she moved to Indonesia to take up her Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position at Harvard School of Public Health with Dr Anuraj Shankar.
Her research interests focus on undertaking innovative epidemiological and public health research, and blood-borne virus epidemiology and health promotion with particular interests in mHealth and exploring how to adapt and apply new technologies for health communication and health system strengthening.
- 2014 -2017: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
- 2014 – present: Adjunct Research Fellow, Monash University
- 2012 – present: Research Fellow: Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- 2016: EC Partnership Coordinator, Burnet Institute
- 2014 - present: Visiting Research Fellow, SUMMIT Institute of Development
- 2013 - present: ICT and Evaluation Advisor, Jhpiego
- 2012 - present: Visiting Research Fellow and mHealth Advisor, RTI Indonesia
- 2012: PhD Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2005: BA Biomedical Science (Hons), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2004: BA Biomedical Science, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2014-2017: National Health and Medical Research Council, Early Career Fellowship
- 2013: Monash University Outstanding Support of Peers Award – PhD
- 2013: Monash University Bridging Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2012: Endeavour Executive Award Holder
- 2012: Scholarship Recipient for the International Union against Sexually Transmitted Infections Conference
- 2012: Monash Postgraduate Publications Award
- 2011: Monash University Postgraduate Travel Grant Award
- 2009: National Health and Medical Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship Award
- 2009: Sidney Myer Health Scholarship Award
- 2009: Burnet Institute Public Health Travel Award
- 2009: Best Oral Presentation: HIV Prevention, Australasian Society for HIV Medicine Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference
- 2005: Runner Up; VicHealth Health Promotion Project Award
- Aiming for the elimination of viral hepatitis in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Territories: where are we now and barriers to meeting WHO targets by 2030.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Cowie BC, Doyle J, Getehun A, Ward J, Gane E, Cunningham C, Wallace J, Lee A, Malani J, Thompson A, Hellard ME
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Pathways to ensure universal and affordable access to hepatitis C treatment.
Douglass CH, Pedrana A, Lazarus JV, 't Hoen EFM, Hammad R, Leite RB, Hill A, Hellard M
BMC Med. 2018 Oct; 16(1):175
- Eliminating hepatitis C: the importance of frequent testing of people who inject drugs in high prevalence settings.
Scott N, Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Thompson A, Hellard M
J Viral Hepat. 2018 Jul; 25(12):1472-1480
- Measuring and understanding the attitudes of Australian gay and bisexual men towards biomedical HIV prevention using cross-sectional data and factor analyses.
Wilkinson AL, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Asselin J, Holt M, Hellard ME, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2018 Jun; 94(4):309-3014
- Eliminating HIV/HCV co-infection in gay and bisexual men: is it achievable through scaling up treatment?
Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana AE, Scott N, Doyle JS, Hellard ME
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2018 May; 16(5):411-422
- Implications of survey labels and categorisations for understanding drug use in the context of sex among gay and bisexual men in Melbourne, Australia.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Quinn B, Dietze P, Hellard M, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2018 May; 55:183-186
- Linkage and retention in HCV care for HIV-infected populations: early data from the DAA era.
Sacks-Davis R, Doyle JS, Rauch A, Beguelin C, Pedrana AE, Matthews GV, Prins M, van der Valk M, Klein MB, Saeed S, Lacombe K, Chkhartishvili N, Altice FL, Hellard ME
J Int AIDS Soc. 2018 Apr; 21 Suppl 2:e25051
- Heterogeneity in hepatitis C treatment prescribing and uptake in Australia: a geospatial analysis of a year of unrestricted treatment access.
Scott N, Hainsworth SW, Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Wade A, Hellard M
J Virus Erad. 2018 Apr; 4(2):108-114
- Comfort Relying on HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and Treatment as Prevention for Condomless Sex: Results of an Online Survey of Australian Gay and Bisexual Men.
Holt M, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Wilkinson AL, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Mar; 22(11):3617-3626
- Acceptability of Peer-Delivered HIV Testing and Counselling Among Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM) and Transgender Women (TW) in Myanmar.
Veronese V, Oo ZM, Thein ZW, Aung PP, Draper BL, Hughes C, Ryan C, Pedrana A, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Feb; 22(8):2426-2434
- Achieving hepatitis C elimination in Europe - to treatment scale up and beyond.
Hellard M, Scott N, Sacks Davis R, Pedrana A
J Hepatol. 2018 Feb; 68(3):383-385
- Declining prevalence of undiagnosed HIV in Melbourne: results from community-based bio-behavioural studies of gay and bisexual men.
Stoové M, Asselin J, Pedrana A, Lea T, Hellard M, Wilson D, Prestage G, de Wit J, Holt M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2018 Feb; 42(1):57-61
- Acceptability and HIV prevention benefits of a peer-based model of rapid point of care HIV testing for Australian gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men.
Leitinger D, Ryan KE, Brown G, Pedrana A, Wilkinson AL, Ryan C, Hellard M, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Jan; 22(1):178-189
- Trial and error: evaluating and refining a community model of HIV testing in Australia.
Ryan KE, Pedrana A, Leitinger D, Wilkinson AL, Locke P, Hellard ME, Stoové M
BMC Health Serv Res. 2017 Oct; 17(1):692
- Pathways to the elimination of hepatitis C: prioritising access for all.
Pedrana AE, Sacks-Davis R, Doyle JS, Hellard ME
Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Oct; 10(10):1023-1026
- Reaching hepatitis C virus elimination targets requires health system interventions to enhance the care cascade.
Scott N, Doyle JS, Wilson DP, Wade A, Howell J, Pedrana A, Thompson A, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2017 Sep; 47:107-116
- Targeted direct-acting antiviral treatment for chronic hepatitis C: a financial reality or an obstacle to elimination?
Hellard M, Pedrana A, Scott N
J Hepatol. 2017 Feb; 66(2):270-272
- A longitudinal cohort study of HIV 'treatment as prevention' in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: the Treatment with Antiretrovirals and their Impact on Positive And Negative men (TAIPAN) study protocol.
Callander D, Stoové M, Carr A, Hoy JF, Petoumenos K, Hellard M, Elliot J, Templeton DJ, Liaw S, Wilson DP, Grulich A, Cooper DA, Pedrana A, Donovan B, McMahon J, Prestage G, Holt M, Fairley CK, McKellar-Stewart N, Ruth S, Asselin J, Keen P, Cooper C, Allan B, Kaldor JM, Guy R
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Dec; 16(1):752
- Reach, engagement, and effectiveness: a systematic review of evaluation methodologies used in health promotion via social networking sites.
Lim MS, Wright CJ, Carrotte ER, Pedrana AE
Health Promot J Aust. 2016 Dec; 27(3):187-197
- Characteristics of gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men testing and retesting at Australia’s first shop-front rapid point-of-care HIV testing service.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Leitinger D, El-Hayek C, Ryan C, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2016 Aug; 13(6):560-567
- The Impact of a Social Marketing Campaign on HIV and Sexually Transmissible Infection Testing Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana AE, El-Hayek C, Vella AM, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Fairley CK, Read TR, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Jan; 43(1):49-56
- Successes in sexual health communications development, programmatic implementation and evaluation in the Torres Strait region 2006 to 2012.
Fagan PS, Robertson HK, Pedrana AE, Raulli A, Crouch AA
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015 Jun; 39(3):270-276
- The use of social networking platforms for sexual health promotion: identifying key strategies for successful user engagement.
Veale HJ, Sacks-Davis R, Weaver ERN, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
BMC Public Health. 2015 Feb; 15(1):85
- Young people's comparative recognition and recall of an Australian Government Sexual Health Campaign.
Lim MS, Gold J, Bowring AL, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jan; 26(6):398-401
- Effects of HIV antiretroviral therapy on sexual and injecting risk-taking behaviour: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Doyle JS, Degenhardt L, Pedrana AE, McBryde ES, Guy R, Stoové MA, Weaver E, Grulich AE, Lo YR, Hellard M
Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Aug; 59(10):1483-1494
- PRONTO! Community-Based HIV Rapid Testing Evaluation Report - Stage 1.
Ryan K, Leitinger D, Pedrana A, Wilkinson A, Stoové M
Report for the Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute: Melbourne, Australia. 2014 Jul
- Outcome evaluation of HIV prevention initiatives 2012 – 2013 in men who have sex with men in Victoria.
Vella A., Wilkinson A., Pedrana, A., Stoové, M
Technical Report for Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute: Melbourne, Australia. 2014 Jul
- Moving towards HIV treatment as prevention.
Stoové MA, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Microbiol Aust. 2014 May; 35(2):88-90
- No Drama: Key Elements to the Success of an HIV/STI-Prevention Mass-Media Campaign.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Higgs P, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Stoové M
Qual Health Res. 2014 Apr; 24(5):695-705
- Making the most of a brave new world: Opportunities and considerations for using Twitter as a public health monitoring tool.
Stoové MA, Pedrana AE
Prev Med. 2014 Mar; 63:109-111
- High rates of hepatitis C virus reinfection and spontaneous clearance of reinfection in people who inject drugs: a prospective cohort study.
Sacks-Davis R, Aitken CK, Higgs P, Spelman T, Pedrana AE, Bowden S, Bharadwaj M, Nivarthi UK, Suppiah V, George J, Grebely J, Drummer HE, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2013 Nov; 8(11):e80216
- Sexual Health Promotion on Social Networking Sites: A Process Evaluation of the FaceSpace Project.
Nguyen P, Gold J, Pedrana A, Chang S, Howard S, Ilic O, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Adolesc Health. 2013 Apr; 53(1):98-104
- Increases in newly acquired HIV infections in Victoria, Australia: epidemiological evidence of successful prevention?
Feigin A, El-Hayek C, Hellard M, Pedrana A, Donnan E, Fairley C, Tee BK, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2013 Apr; 10(2):166-170
- Queer as F**k: Reaching and Engaging Gay Men in Sexual Health Promotion through Social Networking Sites.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Gold J, Ata N, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Stoové M
J Med Internet Res. 2013 Feb; 15(2):e25
- Stop the Drama Downunder: A Social Marketing Campaign Increases HIV/Sexually Transmitted Infection Knowledge and Testing in Australian Gay Men.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Guy R, El-Hayek C, Gouillou M, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Nguyen P, StoovÃ¨ M
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Aug; 39(8):651-658
- Mobile safe injecting facilities in Barcelona and Berlin.
Dietze P, Winter R, Pedrana A, Leicht A, MajÃ³ I Roca X, Brugal MT.
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 Mar; 23(4):257-260
- Developing health promotion interventions on social networking sites: recommendations from The FaceSpace Project.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Hellard ME
J Med Internet Res. 2012 Feb; 14(1):e30
- High rates of undiagnosed HIV infections in a community sample of gay men in Melbourne, Australia.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Wilson K, Guy R, StoovÃ© M
JAIDS. 2012 Jan; 59(1):94-99
- The difference in self-reported and biological measured HIV prevalence: Implications for HIV prevention.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Guy R, Wilson K, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2012 Jan; 16(6):1454-1463
- Registered post achieved a higher response rate than normal mail--a randomized controlled trial.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Giles M
J Clin Epidemiol. 2008 Sep; 61(9):896-899
- Enhanced case detection for newly acquired hepatitis C infection: epidemiological findings and health service implications.
Guy R, Devadason D, Lim M, Higgins N, Pedrana A, Gibson K, Lewis J, Spelman T, White B, Kaldor J, Hellard M
Commun Dis Intell. 2008 Jun; 32(2):250-256
- Risk behaviours and blood borne virus exposure for transient workers in rural Victoria.
Pedrana A, Aitken C, Higgs P, Hellard M
Aust J Rural Health. 2008 Jun; 16(3):143-149
News Articles (14)