Shelley has a background in nursing, having worked in clinical settings in Australia and the UK for over a decade. She was employed in the youth health sector (in local government and community health organisations) for over a decade, in project development, research and support worker roles.
Shelley has extensive experience in qualitative research, spanning studies focused on the sexual health and wellbeing of young people; the experiences of incarceration and release for young people in Cambodia and Australia, the experiences of people with a history of injecting drug use; hepatitis C elimination; and the evaluation of external alcohol and other drugs programs.
Shelley completed her doctoral studies in 2020. Her thesis was focused on the lived experiences of incarceration and release from adult prisons in Australia, for young men with histories of injecting drugs. Shelley is passionate about human rights and social justice issues and the translation of research into outcomes for the empowerment of disadvantaged, marginalised and vulnerable communities.
- Board Member, This Life Cambodia, 2017-2019
- 2020: Research Officer, Public Health, Burnet Institute.
- 2014-2019: PhD Candidate, National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University.
- 2014-2019: Research Assistant, Public Health, Burnet Institute.
- 2012-2014: Community Research Evaluation Officer, This Life Cambodia.
- 2011-2012: Research Assistant, Dept General Practice, University of Melbourne.
- 2006-2012: Youth Health Worker, Knox Community Health Service.
- 2002-2005: Eastern Region Gay and Lesbian Youth Project Coordinator (DHS funded)
- 1997-2001: Youth Development Worker, Local Government Services.
- 1989-2008: Registered Nurse (Division 1)
- 2020: PhD – National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University.
- 2012: MPHC, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1999: BA Community Development, Deakin University, Australia
- 1988: Registered Nurse, GV Base Hospital, Australia
- Australian Postgraduate Research Internship, Burnet Institute, 2020.
- Thesis Completion Scholarship, Curtin University, 2019.
- Faculty of Health Science Top Up Award, Curtin University, 2015-2019. Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship Curtin University, Faculty of Health Sciences, 2015-2019.
- Australian Volunteers for International Development, Australian Government, 2012-2014.
- Primary Health Care Research, Evaluation & Development Fellowship, University of Melbourne, 2010-2011.
Breaking the cycle: supporting people with drug use histories to avoid reincarceration
Evaluation of the Multicultural Drug and Alcohol Service
Optimising Quarantine Study
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
PATH Cohort Study
- Emergency department presentations in the first weeks following release from prison among men with a history of injecting drug use in Victoria, Australia: A prospective cohort study.
Cossar RD, Stewart AC, Wilkinson AL, Dietze P, Ogloff JRP, Aitken C, Butler T, Kinner SA, Curtis M, Walker S, Kirwan A, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 101:103532
- More than saving lives: Qualitative findings of the UNODC/WHO Stop Overdose Safely (S-O-S) project.
Walker S, Dietze P, Poznyak V, Campello G, Kashino W, Dzhonbekov D, Kiriazova T, Nikitin D, Terlikbayeva A, Nevendorff L, Busse A, Krupchanka D
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Jan; 100:103482
- Psychiatric well-being among men leaving prison reporting a history of injecting drug use: A longitudinal analysis.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Wilkinson AL, Scott N, Dietze P, Quinn B, Kinner SA, Aitken C, Walker S, Curtis M, Butler T, Ogloff JRP, Stoové M
Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2022 Jan; Epub ahead of print:48674211048143
- Strategies to maximise study retention and limit attrition bias in a prospective cohort study of men reporting a history of injecting drug use released from prison: the prison and transition health study.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Walker S, Wilkinson AL, Quinn B, Dietze P, Winter R, Kirwan A, Curtis M, Ogloff JRP, Kinner S, Aitken C, Butler T, Woods E, Stoové M
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2021 Sep; 21(1):185
- The Prison and Transition Health (PATH) cohort study: Prevalence of health, social, and crime characteristics after release from prison for men reporting a history of injecting drug use in Victoria, Australia.
Stewart AC, Cossar RD, Wilkinson AL, Quinn B, Dietze P, Walker S, Butler T, Curtis M, Aitken C, Kirwan A, Winter R, Ogloff J, Kinner S, Stoové M
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021 Aug; 227:108970
- Barriers to hepatitis C treatment among secondary needle and syringe program clients and opportunities to intervene.
Gunn J, McNally S, Ryan J, Layton C, Bryant M, Walker S, O'Mahony C, Pedrana A.
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Jul; 96:103387
- "It's time!": A qualitative exploration of the acceptability of hepatitis C notification systems to help eliminate hepatitis C.
Walker S, Wallace J, Latham N, Saich F, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Treloar C, Marukutira T, Higgs P, Doyle J, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 May; 97:103280
- The Optimise Study: Vaccine preparedness. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Heath K, Altermatt A, Merner B, Hill S, Pedrana A, Munari S, Horyniak D, Walker S, Wallace J, Block K, Gibbs L, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Mar; Report 4:1-8
- "That's the Lowest Place on Earth!" Experiences of the Carceral Spaces of Australian Police Custody for Marginalized Young Men.
Walker S, Higgs P, Stoové M, Wilson M
Qual Health Res. 2020 Jan; 30(6):880-893
- "They just don't care about us!": Police custody experiences for young men with histories of injecting drug use
Walker S, Higgs P, Stoové M, Wilson M
Aust NZ J Criminol. 2020 Jan; 53(1):102-120
- "A spray bottle and a lollipop stick": An examination of policy prohibiting sterile injecting equipment in prison and effects on young men with injecting drug use histories.
Walker S, Seear K, Higgs P, Stoové M, Wilson M
Int J Drug Policy. 2020 Jan; 80:102532
- The Prison and Transition Health (PATH) Cohort Study: Study Protocol and Baseline Characteristics of a Cohort of Men with a History of Injecting Drug Use Leaving Prison in Australia.
Kirwan A, Curtis M, Dietze P, Aitken C, Woods E, Walker S, Kinner S, Ogloff J, Butler T, Stoové M
J Urban Health. 2019 Apr; 96(3):400-410
- Understanding HIV and hepatitis C virus risk among incarcerated young men with histories of injecting drug use.
Walker S, Stoové M, Wilson M, Higgs P.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2019 Feb; 19(2):130-131
News Articles (1)