Dr Center is a molecular virologist whose interests include characterising the structure and function of viral proteins and using this knowledge to inform vaccine design.
He completed his PhD in 1998 and was awarded an NHMRC CJ Martin Fellowship to undertake training at the National Institutes of Health, USA in the Laboratory of Viral Diseases where he studied the structure of the key HIV protein, Env.
Upon his return to Australia he held a position at the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, and was awarded a NHMRC Career Development Award to further his studies on the HIV Env protein.
He joined Burnet Institute in 2014 where his current focus is the development of preventative vaccines against hepatitis C and HIV.
- Burnet Institute Senior Fellow
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow, University of Melbourne
- 2003-2013: Senior Research Officer, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne
- 1998-2003: C.J. Martin Postdoctoral Fellow and NIG Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow at the Laboratory of Viral Diseases, NIAID, NIH
- 1998: PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1988: BSc (Hons), La Trobe University, Australia
- 2005-2009: NHMRC R.D Wright Biomedical Career Development Award
- 2000-2003: National Institutes of Health (USA) Postdoctoral Visiting Fellowship
- 1998-2000: NHMRC C.J. Martin Fellowship
- 1994-1997: Commonwealth AIDS Research PhD Scholarship
- Identification of Native and Post-Translationally Modified HLA-B*57:01-Restricted HIV Envelope Derived Epitopes Using Immunoproteomics.
Ramarathinam SH, Gras S, Alcantara S, Yeung AWS, Mifsud NA, Sonza S, Illing PT, Glaros EN, Center RJ, Thomas S, Kent SJ, Ternette N, Purcell DFJ, Rossjohn J, Purcell AW
Proteomics. 2018 Feb; 18(12):e1700253
- HIV-1 Env- and Vpu-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity responses associated with elite control of HIV.
Madhavi V, Wines BD, Amin J, Emery S; ENCORE1 study group, Lopez E, Kelleher A; Sydney LTNP study group, Center RJ, Hogarth PM, Chung AW, Kent SJ, Stratov I
J Virol. 2017 Aug; 91(18):e00700-17
- Memory B cells, the HLA-B*57 allele and natural control of HIV infection.
EBioMedicine. 2017 Jun; 21:47-48
- The core domain of hepatitis C virus glycoprotein E2 generates potent cross-neutralizing antibodies.
Vietheer P, Boo I, Gu J, McCaffrey K, Edwards S, Owczarek C, Hardy MP, Fabri L, Center RJ, Poumbourios P, Drummer HE
Hepatol. 2017 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Repeated Vaccination of Cows with HIV Env gp140 during Subsequent Pregnancies Elicits and Sustains an Enduring Strong Env-Binding and Neutralising Antibody Response.
Heydarchi B, Center RJ, Gonelli C, Muller B, Mackenzie C, Khoury G, Lichtfuss M, Rawlin G. Purcell DF
PLoS One. 2016 Jun; 11(6):e0157353
- Functional advantage of educated KIR2DL1 natural killer cells for anti-HIV-1 antibody-dependent activation.
Gooneratne SL, Center RJ, Kent SJ, Parsons MS
Clin Exp Immunol. 2016 Feb; 184(1):101-109
- Brief Report: Seminal Plasma Anti-HIV Antibodies Trigger Antibody-dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity: Implications for HIV Transmission.
Parsons MS, Madhavi V, Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Center RJ, Wilson KM, Bunupuradah T, Ruxrungtham K, Kent SJ
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jan; 71(1):17-23
- Antibody-dependent effector functions against HIV decline in subjects receiving antiretroviral therapy.
Vijaya Madhavi, Fernanda E Ana-Sosa-Batiz, Sinthujan Jegaskanda, Rob J Center, Wendy R Winnall, Matthew S Parsons, Jintanat Ananworanich, David A Cooper, Anthony D Kelleher, Denise Hsu, Sarah Pett, Ivan Stratov, Marit Kramski, Stephen J Kent
J Infect Dis. 2015 Feb; 211(4):529-538
- Role of education and differentiation in determining the potential of natural killer cells to respond to antibody-dependent stimulation.
Parsons MS, Loh L, Gooneratne S, Center RJ, Kent SJ
AIDS. 2014 Nov; 28(18):2781-2786
- Breadth of HIV-1 Env-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity: relevance to global HIV vaccine design.
Vijaya Madhavi, Leia H Wren, Rob J Center, Christopher Gonelli, Wendy R Winnall, Matthew S Parsons, Marit Kramski, Stephen J Kent, Ivan Stratov
AIDS. 2014 Aug; 28(13):1859-1870
- Inhibition of Two Temporal Phases of HIV-1 Transfer from Primary Langerhans Cells to T Cells: The Role of Langerin.
Nasr N, Lai J, Botting RA, Mercier SK, Harman AN, Kim M, Turville S, Center RJ, Domagala T, Gorry PR, Olbourne N, Cunningham AL
J Immunol. 2014 Jul; 193(5):2554-2564
- HIV-specific antibody-dependent phagocytosis matures during HIV infection.
Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Johnston AP, Liu H, Center RJ, Rerks-Ngarm S, Pitisuttithum P, Nitayaphan S, Kaewkungwal J, Kim JH, Michael NL, Kelleher AD, Stratov I, Kent SJ, Kramski M
Immunol Cell Biol. 2014 Jun; 92(8):679-687
- The maturation of antibody technology for the HIV epidemic.
Winnall WR, Beasley MD, Center RJ, Parsons MS, Kiefel BR, Kent SJ
Immunol Cell Biol. 2014 May; 92(7):570-577
- Anti-HIV antibody-dependent activation of NK cells impairs NKp46 expression.
Matthew S Parsons, Chi-Chang Tang, Sinthujan Jegaskanda, Robert J Center, Andrew G Brooks, Ivan Stratov, Stephen J Kent
J Immunol. 2014 Jan; 192(1):308-315
- Short communication: antibody responses to human immunodeficiency virus envelope from infections with multiple subtypes utilize the 1F7-idiotypic repertoire.
Matthew S Parsons, Robert J Center, Jean-Pierre Routy, Danielle Rouleau, Roger Leblanc, Mark A Wainberg, Cecile L Tremblay, Marcel D Zannou, Stephen J Kent, Michael D Grant, Nicole F Bernard
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2013 May; 29(5):778-783
- Utility of the Sindbis replicon system as an Env-targeted HIV vaccine.
Rob J Center, Annett Miller, Adam K Wheatley, Shahan M Campbell, Carly Siebentritt, Damian F J Purcell
Vaccine. 2013 Apr; 31(18):2260-2266
- Isotype-switched immunoglobulin G antibodies to HIV Gag proteins may provide alternative or additional immune responses to 'protective' human leukocyte antigen-B alleles in HIV controllers.
Martyn A French, Rob J Center, Kim M Wilson, Ibrahim Fleyfel, Sonia Fernandez, Anna Schorcht, Ivan Stratov, Marit Kramski, Stephen J Kent, Anthony D Kelleher
AIDS. 2013 Feb; 27(4):519-528
- Role of monocytes in mediating HIV-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity.
Kramski M, Schorcht A, Johnston AP, Lichtfuss GF, Jegaskanda S, De Rose R, Stratov I, Kelleher AD, French MA, Center RJ, Jaworowski A, Kent SJ
J Immunol Methods. 2012 Oct; 384(1-2):51-61
- Hyperimmune bovine colostrum as a low-cost, large-scale source of antibodies with broad neutralizing activity for HIV-1 envelope with potential use in microbicides.
Marit Kramski, Rob J Center, Adam K Wheatley, Jonathan C Jacobson, Marina R Alexander, Grant Rawlin, Damian F J Purcell
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Aug; 56(8):4310-4319
- Application of a case-control study design to investigate genotypic signatures of HIV-1 transmission.
Talia M Mota, John M Murray, Rob J Center, Damian F J Purcell, James M McCaw
Retrovirology. 2012 Jun; 9:54
- Anti-HIV-1 antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity mediated by hyperimmune bovine colostrum IgG.
Kramski M, Lichtfuss GF, Navis M, Isitman G, Wren L, Rawlin G, Center RJ, Jaworowski A, Kent SJ, Purcell DF
Eur J Immunol. 2012 Jun; 42(10):2771-2781
- Influence of cytokines on HIV-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity activation profile of natural killer cells.
Leia Wren, Matthew S Parsons, Gamze Isitman, Robert J Center, Anthony D Kelleher, Ivan Stratov, Nicole F Bernard, Stephen J Kent
PLoS One. 2012 Jun; 7(6):e38580
- NK cell function and antibodies mediating ADCC in HIV-1-infected viremic and controller patients.
Susanne E Johansson, Erik Rollman, Amy W Chung, Rob J Center, Bo Hejdeman, Ivan Stratov, Jorma Hinkula, Britta Wahren, Klas Karre, Stephen J Kent, Louise Berg
Viral Immunol. 2011 Oct; 24(5):359-368
- Novel sensitive real-time PCR for quantification of bacterial 16S rRNA genes in plasma of HIV-infected patients as a marker for microbial translocation.
Kramski M, Gaeguta AJ, Lichtfuss GF, Rajasuriar R, Crowe SM, French MA, Lewin SR, Center RJ, Purcell DF
J Clin Microbiol. 2011 Oct; 49(10):3691-3693
- Induction of humoral and cellular immune responses against the HIV-1 envelope protein using gamma-retroviral virus-like particles.
Tea Kirkegaard, Adam Wheatley, Jesper Melchjorsen, Shervin Bahrami, Finn S Pedersen, Robert J Center, Damian F J Purcell, Lars Ostergaard, Mogens Duch, Martin Tolstrup
Virol J. 2011 Aug; 8:381
- Immune escape from HIV-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) pressure.
Amy W Chung, Gamze Isitman, Marjon Navis, Marit Kramski, Rob J Center, Stephen J Kent, Ivan Stratov
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 May; 108(18):7505-7510
- Activation of NK cells by ADCC responses during early HIV infection.
Amy W Chung, Marjon Navis, Gamze Isitman, Rob Centre, Robert Finlayson, Mark Bloch, Linda Gelgor, Antony Kelleher, Stephen J Kent, Ivan Stratov
Viral Immunol. 2011 Apr; 24(2):171-175
- Co-expression of miRNA targeting the expression of PERK, but not PKR, enhances cellular immunity from an HIV-1 Env DNA vaccine.
Adam K Wheatley, Marit Kramski, Marina R Alexander, Jesse G Toe, Rob J Center, Damian F J Purcell
PLoS One. 2011 Mar; 6(3):e18225
- Induction of HIV-1 subtype B and AE-specific neutralizing antibodies in mice and macaques with DNA prime and recombinant gp140 protein boost regimens.
Rob J Center, Adam K Wheatley, Shahan M Campbell, Adriana J Gaeguta, Viv Peut, Sheilajen Alcantara, Carly Siebentritt, Stephen J Kent, Damian F J Purcell
Vaccine. 2009 Nov; 27(47):6605-6612
- Balancing reversion of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte and neutralizing antibody escape mutations within human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Env upon transmission.
Viv Peut, Shahan Campbell, Adriana Gaeguta, Rob J Center, Kim Wilson, Sheilajen Alcantara, Caroline S Fernandez, Damian F J Purcell, Stephen J Kent
J Virol. 2009 Sep; 83(17):8986-8992
- Complexity of the inoculum determines the rate of reversion of SIV Gag CD8 T cell mutant virus and outcome of infection.
Liyen Loh, Jeanette C Reece, Caroline S Fernandez, Sheilajen Alcantara, Robert Center, Jane Howard, Damian F J Purcell, Mehala Balamurali, Janka Petravic, Miles P Davenport, Stephen J Kent
PLoS Pathog. 2009 Apr; 5(4):e1000378
- Rapid degranulation of NK cells following activation by HIV-specific antibodies.
Chung AW, Rollman E, Center RJ, Kent SJ, Stratov I
J Immunol. 2009 Jan; 182(2):1202-1210
- Y chromosome loss and rearrangement in non-small-cell lung cancer.
R Center, R Lukeis, V Vrazas, O M Garson
Int J Cancer. 1993 Sep; 55(3):390-393
- Co-amplification of the gene for parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHRP) and KRAS2 in a human lung cancer cell line.
C Rudduck, L Duncan, R Center, O M Garson
Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 1993 Aug; 7(4):213-218
- Identification of brain isoforms of the rat calcitonin receptor.
P M Sexton, S Houssami, J M Hilton, L M O'Keeffe, R J Center, M T Gillespie, P Darcy, D M Findlay
Mol Endocrinol. 1993 Jun; 7(6):815-821
- Molecular deletion of 9p sequences in non-small cell lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma.
R Center, R Lukeis, E Dietzsch, M Gillespie, O M Garson
Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 1993 May; 7(1):47-53
News Articles (2)