Jason joined Burnet Institute after eight years of working in HIV community-based prevention and support in both Toronto and Melbourne.
Building on this experience, Jason joined the Burnet in 2013 to lead the national coordination of the COUNT study, which investigated the prevalence of undiagnosed HIV among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (GBM) in Australian cities.
Since then, he has developed expertise in the working with surveillance data and now manages the ACCESS project, a national sentinel surveillance system of clinical services and laboratories, monitoring bloodborne viruses and sexually transmitted infections.
Jason has an interest in HIV epidemiology among GBM and the use of surveillance data to monitor and evaluate new interventions.
- 2018: ACCESS Project Manager
- 2019: Master of Epidemiology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 2005: Grad Dip Health Promotion, Centennial College, Toronto, Canada
- 2004: BSc (Hons), University of Toronto, Canada
- Gaps in the HIV diagnosis and care cascade for migrants in Australia, 2013-2017: A cross-sectional study.
Marukutira T, Gray RT, Douglass C, El-Hayek C, Moreira C, Asselin J, Donovan B, Vickers T, Spelman T, Crowe S, Guy R, Stoové M, Hellard M
PLoS Med. 2020 Mar; 17(3):e1003044
- Assessment of service refinement and its impact on repeat HIV testing by client's access to Australia's universal healthcare system: a retrospective cohort study.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Leitinger DP, Locke P, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Aug; 22(8):e25353
- Association of HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis With Incidence of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Individuals at High Risk of HIV Infection.
Traeger MW, Cornelisse VJ, Asselin J, Price B, Roth NJ, Willcox J, Tee BK, Fairley CK, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Vujovic O, Penn M, Cundill P, Forgan-Smith G, Gall J, Pickett C, Lal L, Mak A, Spelman TD, Nguyen L, Murphy DA, Ryan KE, El-Hayek C, West M, Ruth S, Batrouney C, Lockwood JT, Hoy JF, Hellard ME, Stoové MA, Wright EJ; PrEPX Study Team
JAMA. 2019 Apr; 321(14):1380-1390
- Evaluation of PrEP eligibility criteria using sexually transmissible infections as HIV risk markers at enrolment in PrEPX, a large Australian HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis trial.
Cornelisse VJ, Fairley CK, Stoove M, Asselin J, Chow EPF, Price B, Roth NJ, Willcox J, Tee BK, Penn M, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Forgan-Smith G, Wright EJ; PrEPX study team
Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Nov; 67(12):1847-52
- Monitoring the Control of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood-Borne Viruses: Protocol for the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance (ACCESS).
Callander D, Moreira C, El-Hayek C, Asselin J, van Gemert C, Watchirs Smith L, Nguyen L, Dimech W, Boyle DI, Donovan B, Stoové M, Hellard M, Guy R
JMIR Res Protoc. 2018 Nov; 7(11):e11028
- Measuring and understanding the attitudes of Australian gay and bisexual men towards biomedical HIV prevention using cross-sectional data and factor analyses.
Wilkinson AL, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Asselin J, Holt M, Hellard ME, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2018 Jun; 94(4):309-3014
- Protocol for an HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Population Level Intervention Study in Victoria Australia: The PrEPX Study.
Ryan KE, Mak A, Stoove M, Price B, Fairley CK, Ruth S, Lal L, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Nguyen L, Batrouney C, Wilson D, Lockwood J, Murphy D, Cornelisse VJ, Roth N, Willcox J, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Tee BK, Penn M, Forgan-Smith G, Williams C, Montgomery J, Byron K, Coelho A, Allen B, Wiggins J, Kelsall J, Vujovic O, West M, Pierce AB, Gallant D, Bell C, de Wit JBF, Hoy JF, Wesselingh SL, Grant RM, Wright EJ
Front Public Health. 2018 May; 6:151
- Declining prevalence of undiagnosed HIV in Melbourne: results from community-based bio-behavioural studies of gay and bisexual men.
Stoové M, Asselin J, Pedrana A, Lea T, Hellard M, Wilson D, Prestage G, de Wit J, Holt M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2018 Feb; 42(1):57-61
- A longitudinal cohort study of HIV 'treatment as prevention' in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: the Treatment with Antiretrovirals and their Impact on Positive And Negative men (TAIPAN) study protocol.
Callander D, Stoové M, Carr A, Hoy JF, Petoumenos K, Hellard M, Elliot J, Templeton DJ, Liaw S, Wilson DP, Grulich A, Cooper DA, Pedrana A, Donovan B, McMahon J, Prestage G, Holt M, Fairley CK, McKellar-Stewart N, Ruth S, Asselin J, Keen P, Cooper C, Allan B, Kaldor JM, Guy R
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Dec; 16(1):752
- The Impact of a Social Marketing Campaign on HIV and Sexually Transmissible Infection Testing Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana AE, El-Hayek C, Vella AM, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Fairley CK, Read TR, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Jan; 43(1):49-56
- Stop the Drama Downunder: A Social Marketing Campaign Increases HIV/Sexually Transmitted Infection Knowledge and Testing in Australian Gay Men.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Guy R, El-Hayek C, Gouillou M, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Nguyen P, StoovÃ¨ M
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Aug; 39(8):651-658
- Developing health promotion interventions on social networking sites: recommendations from The FaceSpace Project.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Hellard ME
J Med Internet Res. 2012 Feb; 14(1):e30
News Articles (7)