My work involves analyses of the microbiome within the female reproductive tract and the metabolites that they produce, with respect to their impact on sexually transmitted infections. I am also working toward the identification and characterisation of novel retroviruses in Australian mammals.
My thesis examined the antiviral defenses of bats, which are a significant source of viruses deadly to humans, and their history of infection with retroviruses. It identifies that bats have been host to a highly diverse range of retroviruses and finds that these viruses have been transmitted to other mammals. Bats are revealed to have unique features in their antiviral immune system that may give them an enhanced ability to control viral infections. This research was undertaken within the Retroviral Biology and Antivirals Research Laboratory, led by Assoc. Prof. Gilda Tachedjian.
- 2016: PhD in Molecular Microbiology, Monash University, Australia
- 2010: BScAdv(Hons), Monash University, Australia
- 2016: Harold Mitchell Foundation Travel Fellowship
- 2011: Ed Westaway Prize
- 2010: Monash Vice Chancellor’s Honours-PhD Scholarship
- 2009: Solly Faine Prize
Antimicrobial and immune modulatory effects of vaginal microbiota metabolites
Burnet Microbiome Initiative
Impact of a vaginal microbiota metabolite on epithelium integrity and HIV susceptibility
Intrinsic host antiviral activity against pathogenic viruses
- Tenth Scientific Biennial Meeting of the Australasian Virology Society-AVS10 2019.
Helbig KJ, Bull RA, Ambrose R, Beard MR, Blanchard H, Böcking T, Chua B, Colmant AMG, Crosse KM, Purcell DFJ, Fraser J, Hayward JA, Hamilton ST, Husain M, MacDiarmid R, Mackenzie JM, Moseley GW, Nguyen THO, Quiñones-Mateu ME, Robinson K, Rodrigo C, Rodriguez-Andres J, Rudd PA, Werno A, White P, Young P, Speck P, Hibma M, Drummer HE, Tachedjian G
Viruses. 2020 Jun; 12(6)
- Infectious KoRV-related retroviruses circulating in Australian bats.
Hayward JA, Tachedjian M, Kohl C, Johnson A, Dearnley M, Jesaveluk B, Langer C, Solymosi PD, Hille G, Nitsche A, Sánchez CA, Werner A, Kontos D, Crameri G, Marsh GA, Baker ML, Poumbourios P, Drummer HE, Holmes EC, Wang LF, Smith I, Tachedjian G
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Apr; 117(7):9529–9536
- Distinct Immune Responses Elicited From Cervicovaginal Epithelial Cells by Lactic Acid and Short Chain Fatty Acids Associated With Optimal and Non-optimal Vaginal Microbiota.
Delgado-Diaz DJ, Tyssen D, Hayward JA, Gugasyan R, Hearps AC, Tachedjian G
Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2020 Jan; 9:446
- Anti-HIV-1 Activity of Lactic Acid in Human Cervicovaginal Fluid.
Tyssen D, Wang YY, Hayward JA, Agius PA, DeLong K, Aldunate M, Ravel J, Moench TR, Cone RA, Tachedjian G
mSphere. 2018 Jul; 3(4):e00055-18
- Differential evolution of antiretroviral restriction factors in pteropid bats as revealed by APOBEC3 gene complexity.
Hayward JA, Tachedjian M, Cui J, Cheng AZ, Johnson A, Baker M, Harris RS, Wang LF, Tachedjian G
Mol Biol Evol. 2018 Mar; 35(7):1626–1637
News Articles (8)