Danielle Horyniak is an epidemiologist whose research aims to inform the prevention and reduction of harms associated with alcohol and illicit drug use. With a particular focus on migrant and refugee-background populations, Danielle uses a mix of quantitative and qualitative approaches to examine the social and structural factors shaping health and inform evidence-based responses to mitigate health and social inequities.
Danielle recently returned to Burnet Institute after spending two years working with the Division of Global Public Health, University of California San Diego, where she conducted research to improve the health of deported migrants on the US-Mexico border.
Danielle holds a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Hons) and a PhD in Epidemiology, both from Monash University.
2015 - : NHMRC Early Career Research Fellow, Burnet Institute
2015 - : Adjunct Research Fellow, School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, Monash University
2015 - 2017: Postdoctoral Scholar, Division of Global Public Health, University of California San Diego
2014: Assistant Lecturer, School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, Monash University
2011 – 2014: PhD Candidate, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
2007 – 2014: Research Assistant, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
2014: PhD, Monash University
2006: BBiomedSci (Hons), Monash University
2016: Early Career Investigator Travel Award, College of Problems on Drug Dependence
2015 – 2019: NHMRC Sidney Sax Overseas Public Health Early Career Fellowship
2015: Endeavour Research Fellowship
2014: PhD Thesis Excellence Award, Monash University School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine
2014: Monash University Postgraduate Publication Award
2013: Miller Foundation Public Health Travel Award
2012: Monash University Postgraduate Travel Award
- Safe sex in chick lit: a ‘novel’ analysis of sexual health
references in popular women’s fiction.
Lim MSC, Hellard ME, Horyniak
Sex Health. 2018 Jul; 15(5):468-472
- Predictors of injecting cessation among a cohort of people who inject drugs in Tijuana, Mexico.
Horyniak D, Strathdee SA, West BS, Meacham M, Rangel G, Gaines TL
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018 Feb; 185:298-304
- Injection Drug Use Trajectories Among Migrant Populations: A Narrative Review.
Melo JS, Mittal ML, Horyniak D, Strathdee SA, Werb D
Subst Use Misuse. 2018 Jan; 53(9):1558-1570
- Deportation of non-citizen military veterans: A critical analysis of implications for the right to health.
Horyniak D, Bojorquez I, Armenta RF, Davidson PJ
Glob Public Health. 2018 Jan; 13(10):1369-1381
- The experience of initiating injection drug use and its social context: A qualitative systematic review and thematic synthesis.
Guise A, Horyniak D, Melo J, McNeill R, Werb D
Addiction. 2017 Jul; 112(12):2098-2111
- Cross-border injection drug use and HIV and hepatitis C virus seropositivity among people who inject drugs in San Diego, California.
Horyniak D, Wagner KD, Armenta RF, Cuevas-Mota J, Hendrickson E, Garfein RS
J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Jul; 47:9-17
- Trends in reports of driving following illicit drug consumption among regular drug users in Australia, 2007-2013: Has random roadside drug testing had a deterrent effect?
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Lenton S, Alati R, Bruno R, Matthews A, Breen C, Burns L
Accid Anal Prev. 2017 May; 104:146-155
- The role of respect in interactions with police among substance-using African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P
J Ethn Crim Just. 2017 Feb; 15(2):185-204
- Relationships Between Integration and Drug Use Among Deported Migrants in Tijuana, Mexico.
Horyniak D, Pinedo M, Burgos JL, Ojeda VD.
J Immigr Minor Health. 2017 Jan; 19(5):1196-1206
- Exploring attitudes towards sexting of young people: a cross-sectional study.
Lim MS, Vella AM, Horyniak DR, Hellard ME
Sexual Health. 2016 Oct; 13(6):530-535
- Epidemiology of Substance Use among Forced Migrants: A Global Systematic Review.
Horyniak D, Melo JS, Farrell RM, Ojeda VD, Strathdee SA
PLoS One. 2016 Jul; 11(7):e0159134
- Heavy alcohol consumption among marginalised African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia: motivations for drinking, experiences of alcohol-related problems and strategies for managing drinking.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T
Ethn Health. 2016 Mar; 21(3):284-299
- From initiating injecting drug use to regular injecting: Retrospective survival analysis of injecting progression within a sample of people who inject drugs regularly.
O'Keefe D, Horyniak D, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Jan; 158:177-180
- Age-related differences in patterns of criminal activity among a large sample of polydrug injectors in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt. L, Agius P, Higgs P, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
J Subst Abuse. 2016 Jan; 22(1):48-56
- Patterns of, and Factors Associated With, Illicit Pharmaceutical Opioid Analgesic Use in a Prospective Cohort of People Who Inject Drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Agius PA, Degenhardt L, Reddel S, Higgs P, Aitken C, Stoové M, Dietze P
Subst Use Misuse. 2015 Nov; 50(13):1650-1659
- How do drug market changes affect characteristics of injecting initiation and subsequent patterns of drug use? Findings from a cohort of regular heroin and methamphetamine injectors in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Stoové M, Degenhardt L, Aitken C, Kerr T, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Jan; 26(1):43-50
- Effect of Intubation for Gamma-hydroxybutyric Acid Overdose on Emergency Department Length of Stay and Hospital Admission.
Dietze P, Horyniak D, Agius P, Munir V, Smit DV, Johnston J, Fry CL, Degenhardt L
Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Nov; 21(11):1226-1231
- Experiences of and Attitudes Toward Injecting Drug Use Among Marginalized African Migrant and Refugee Youth in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T, Seid G
J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2014 Oct; 13(4):405-429
- Prevalence, correlates, and attitudes towards sexting among young people in Melbourne, Australia
Yeung T, Horyniak D, Vella A, Hellard M, Lim M
Sex Healtrh. 2014 Jul; 11(4):332-339
- Pattern and characteristics of ecstasy and related drug (ERD) presentations at two hospital emergency departments, Melbourne, Australia, 2008-2010.
Horyniak D, Degenhardt L, Smit DV, Munir V, Johnston J, Fry C, Dietze P
Emerg Med J. 2014 Jan; 31(4):317-322
- Establishing the Melbourne injecting drug user cohort study (MIX): rationale, methods, and baseline and twelve-month follow-up results.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Jenkinson R, Degenhardt L, Stoové M, Kerr T, Hickman M, Aitken C, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2013 Jun; 10(1):11
- The relationship between age and risky injecting behaviours among a sample of Australian people who inject drugs.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Higgs P, McIlwraith F, Alati R, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 May; 132(3):541-6
- “Let’s Get Wasted!” and Other Apps: Characteristics, Acceptability, and Use of Alcohol-Related Smartphone Applications
Weaver ER, Horyniak DR Jenkinson R, Dietze P, Lim MSC
JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2013 Feb; 1(1):E9
- Injecting drug use and related health behaviours in a small case series of East African migrants in Melbourne.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Degenhardt L, Cogger S, Power R, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012 Dec; 36(6):586-587
- The use of alprazolam by people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Reddel S, Quinn B, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Jun; 31(4):585-590
- Behavioural interventions for preventing hepatitis C infection in people who inject drugs: A global systematic review.
Sacks-Davis R, Horyniak D, Grebely J, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 May; 23(3):176-184
- Post-marketing surveillance of buprenorphine-naloxone in Australia: diversion, injection and adherence with supervised dosing.
Larance B, Degenhardt L, Lintzeris N, Bell J, Winstock A, Dietze P, Mattick R, Ali R, Horyniak D
Drug Alcohol Dependence:. 2011 Nov; 118(2-3):265-273
- Global epidemiology of hepatitis B and hepatitis C in people who inject drugs: results of systematic reviews.
Nelson PK, Mathers BM, Cowie B, Hagan H, Des Jarlais D, Horyniak D, Degenhardt L
Lancet. 2011 Aug; 378(9791):571-583
- The prevalence and correlates of buprenorphine inhalation amongst opioid substitution treatment (OST) clients in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Larance B, Winstock A, Degenhardt L
Int J Drug Policy. 2011 Mar; 22(2):167-171
News Articles (6)