Emeritus Professor Gregory Tannock’s current research interests include the causes of variability in the growth of influenza B viruses in eggs, development of methods for increasing yields of vaccine antigens; Development and evaluation of live attenuated vaccines against influenza (publication record over 30 years); Evaluation of broad-spectrum antiviral drugs against respiratory viruses, especially influenza and RSV; Development of improved methodologies for the rapid diagnosis of viral infections; Studies with avian viruses and, in particular, Marek’s disease virus. Emeritus Professor Tannock is a Member, Editorial Board: Journal of Medical Virology (2001-) and Biomedical Research International (2007-). Independent “voting member” (one of four) of the Australian Influenza Vaccine Committee of the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Commonwealth Department of Health. Principal Supervisor for 13 PhD, five M.App.Sc/M.MedSci, 13 Honours candidates (all completed).
- 2015: Visiting Professor, Brawijaya University, Indonesia, Faculty of Medicine.
- 2006: Visiting Professor and Guest Lecturer, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria,
- 2008-present: Burnet Institute Visiting Fellow, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 1993-2007: Professor of Virology, Royal Melbourne Institute Technology, Victoria, Australia
- 1990: Visiting Fellow, Department of Microbiology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 1986-1987: Visiting Scientist, Respiratory and Enterovirus Branch, CID CDC Atlanta GA, USA
- 1979-1993: Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor of Pathology (Microbiology), Faculty of Medicine, The University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
- 1977-1979: Virologist, CSL Ltd.
- 1975-1976: Visiting Fellow, Virology Division, CDC, Atlanta GA, USA
- 1973-1975: Virologist, CSL Ltd.
- 1970-1973: Tutor in Biochemistry, Newman College, University of Melbourne
- 1966-1969: Research Scholar, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Australia
- 1969-1973: Virologist, National Biological Standards Laboratory,Victoria, Australia
- 1960-1961: Virologist, CSL Ltd
- 1996: DSc, Newcastle University, New South Wales, Australia
- 1970: PhD, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- 1966: MSc, University of Western Australia, Australia
- 1960: BSc, University of Western Australia, Australia
- 2009: Royal Society Visiting Fellowship, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- 2002-2003: Wellcome Fellowship, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, United Kingdom
- 2002: Fellow, Australian Society for Microbiology, Australia
- 1999-2000: Wellcome Fellowship, The Queen’s University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- 1999: Awarded D.I. Ivanovsky Medal for distinguished services to Virology by the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Russia
- 1975-1976: US Public Health Service Post-Doctoral Fellowship, CDC, Atlanta GA, USA
- 1966-1969: Commonwealth Public Service Postgraduate Scholarship, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU
- 1958-1959 Commonwealth Scholarship, UWA
- Pathotyping of Australian isolates of Marek's disease virus and association of pathogenicity with meq gene polymorphism.
Renz KG, Cooke J, Clarke N, Cheetham BF, Hussain Z, Fakhrul Islam AF, Tannock GA, Walkden-Brown SW
Avian Pathol. 2012 Apr; 41(2):161-76
- Gordon Alexander Firth 1945-2011
Tannock G, Henderson A, Mackenzie C, Glastonbury J
Aust Vet J. 2012 Jan; 19:156
- Antiviral activity of arbidol, a broad-spectrum drug for use against respiratory viruses, varies according to test conditions.
Brooks MJ, Burtseva EI, Ellery PJ, Marsh GA, Lew AM, Slepushkin AN, Crowe SM, Tannock GA
J Med Virol. 2012 Jan; 84(1):170-181
- Route of administration is the prime determinant of IgA and IgG2a responses in the respiratory tract of mice to the cold-adapted live attenuated influenza A donor strain A/Leningrad/134/17/57.
M D Wareing, G A Tannock
Vaccine. 2003 Jul; 21(23):3097-3100
- A modified blocking ELISA for the detection of antibody to chicken anaemia virus using an Australian strain.
G A Tannock, J Tan, K A Mawhinney, D Todd, D O'Rourke, T J Bagust
Aust Vet J. 2003 Jul; 81(7):428-430
- Field evaluations of safety and efficacy of an Australian Marek's disease vaccine.
R C Karpathy, G A Firth, G A Tannock
Aust Vet J. 2003 Apr; 81(4):222-225
- An evaluation of the genetic stability and pathogenicity of the Russian cold-adapted influenza A donor strains A/Leningrad/134/17/57 and A/Leningrad/134/47/57 in ferrets.
G A Marsh, J M Watson, W E White, G A Tannock
J Virol Methods. 2003 Jan; 107(1):63-69
- The antigenicity of the chicken anaemia virus protein VP3 (Apoptin).
S C Cunningham, A M Lew, G A Tannock
Avian Pathol. 2001 Dec; 30(6):613-619
- Immunogenic and isotype-specific responses to Russian and US cold-adapted influenza a vaccine donor strains A/Leningrad/134/17/57, A/Leningrad/134/47/57, and A/Ann Arbor/6/60 (H2N2) in mice.
M D Wareing, J M Watson, M J Brooks, G A Tannock
J Med Virol. 2001 Sep; 65(1):171-177
- Live attenuated vaccines against influenza; an historical review.
Wareing MD, Tannock GA.
Vaccine. 2001 May; 19((25-26)):3320-30.
- Adaptation of Marek's disease virus to the Vero continuous cell line.
D Jaikumar, K M Read, G A Tannock
Vet Microbiol. 2001 Mar; 79(1):75-82
- A study of respiratory infections in a healthy adult population during the 1987 Australian winter.
G A Tannock, A L Reid, S M Gillett, R Herd, R S Gillett, M J Hensley, R D Barry, I P Lawrance, J Nichols, M Adams
Fam Pract. 1993 Dec; 10(4):378-386
- A study of the advantages and limitations of immunoblotting procedures for the detection of antibodies against influenza virus.
G P Kapaklis-Deliyannis, H E Drummer, L E Brown, G A Tannock, D C Jackson
Electrophoresis. 1993 Sep; 14(9):926-936
- Subgrouping of respiratory syncytial virus strains from Australia and Papua New Guinea by biological and antigenic characteristics.
J C Hierholzer, G A Tannock, C M Hierholzer, R A Coombs, M L Kennett, P A Phillips, I D Gust
Arch Virol. 1993 Jan; 136(1-2):133-147
- Laboratory diagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. 4. Antigen capture and PCR-gene amplification for detection of the Mycoplasma: problems of clinical correlation.
J Williamson, B P Marmion, D A Worswick, T W Kok, G Tannock, R Herd, R J Harris
Epidemiol Infect. 1992 Dec; 109(3):519-537
- Antibody responses to avian encephalomyelitis virus vaccines when administered by different routes.
D R Shafren, G A Tannock, P J Groves
Aust Vet J. 1992 Nov; 69(11):272-275
- Further evidence that the nucleic acid of avian encephalomyelitis virus consists of RNA.
D R Shafren, G A Tannock
Avian Dis. 1992 Oct; 36(4):1031-1033
- Western blot analysis of antibody responses to influenza virion proteins.
D Qiu, G A Tannock, R D Barry, D C Jackson
Immunol Cell Biol. 1992 Jun; 70 ( Pt 3):181-191
- Diagnosis of a field outbreak of avian encephalomyelitis by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
D R Shafren, G A Tannock, C J Morrow
Aust Vet J. 1989 Jul; 66(7):224-225
- Improved colorimetric assay for detecting influenza B virus neutralizing antibody responses to vaccination and infection.
G A Tannock, J A Paul, R Herd, R D Barry, A L Reid, M J Hensley, R S Gillett, S M Gillett, P Lawrance, R L Henry
J Clin Microbiol. 1989 Mar; 27(3):524-528
- Development and application of an ELISA technique for the detection of antibody to avian encephalomyelitis viruses.
D R Shafren, G A Tannock, T K Roberts
Res Vet Sci. 1989 Jan; 46(1):95-99
- A study of intranasally administered interferon A (rIFN-alpha 2A) for the seasonal prophylaxis of natural viral infections of the upper respiratory tract in healthy volunteers.
G A Tannock, S M Gillett, R S Gillett, R D Barry, M J Hensley, R Herd, A L Reid, N A Saunders
Epidemiol Infect. 1988 Dec; 101(3):611-621
- An improved membrane-filtration enzyme immunoassay for the rapid serological diagnosis of viral infections.
G R Barnett, G A Tannock, J A Paul, D A Bryce
J Virol Methods. 1988 Aug; 20(4):323-332
- An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of avian encephalomyelitis virus antigens.
D R Shafren, G A Tannock
Avian Dis. 1988 Apr; 32(2):209-214
- Responses to one or two doses of a deoxycholate subunit influenza vaccine in a primed population.
G A Tannock, D A Bryce, M J Hensley, N A Saunders, R S Gillett, W S Kennedy
Vaccine. 1984 Mar; 2(1):100-106
- A simple procedure for the analysis of the structural proteins of influenza and parainfluenza viruses involving adsorption to erythrocytes.
J A Cowley, G A Tannock, R D Barry
J Virol Methods. 1984 Feb; 8(1-2):9-18
- The sensitization of mice with a wild-type and cold-adapted variant of influenza A virus. II. Secondary cytotoxic T cell responses.
N K Mak, C Sweet, G L Ada, G A Tannock
Immunology. 1984 Feb; 51(2):407-416
- Relative immunogenicity of the cold-adapted influenza virus A/Ann Arbor/6/60 (A/AA/6/60-ca), recombinants of A/AA/6/60-ca, and parental strains with similar surface antigens.
G A Tannock, J A Paul, R D Barry
Infect Immun. 1984 Feb; 43(2):457-462
News Articles (5)