Sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) encompasses all matters related to puberty, sexuality, relationships, sexual health, fertility and birth.
It is a fundamental human right of all people to decide if, when and with whom to have sex, and if and when to have children - free from discrimination, coercion and violence.
Addressing SHRH is critical to improving the health of women and children - meeting the needs for effective contraception would avert 30 per cent of maternal deaths and 20 per cent of child deaths by supporting health timing and spacing of births and preventing unwanted pregnancy. Over a third of all women who die from pregnancy-related causes did not want to be pregnant in the first place.
It is also crucial to achieving sustainable, equitable development by allowing adolescent girls and women to complete education and participate in paid employment. It would also support poverty reduction and women’s empowerment.
- 225 million adolescent girls and women (1 in 4 in low and middle income countries) have an unmet need for contraception (i.e. don’t want to get pregnant but aren’t using an effective method of contraception)
- 80 million unintended pregnancies every year
- 22 million unsafe abortions resulting in 47,000 deaths each year and many thousands more who suffer serious complications and disability
- 1 in 3 women globally experience physical and/or sexual violence in their lifetime, mostly at the hand of an intimate partner
- 1 in 10 adolescent girls aged 15-19 years have experienced sexual violence
- About 200 million women are infected with a sexually transmitted infection (STI) every year - most do not receive adequate treatment. Adolescent girls and young women 15-24 years have the highest rates of STI of any age group.
Burnet Institute has a strong track record of using evidence-based approaches to improve access to sexual and reproductive health information and services.
Research and Public Health Focus
- A GIFT (Genital Inflammation Test) for HIV Prevention
Developing a biomarkers point-of-care test to identify women with genital inflammation who are at high risk of HIV acquisition
- A novel gel for targeting vaginal inflammation to prevent HIV transmission
Developing an intravaginal gel delivering a vaginal microbiota metabolite.
- Burnet Microbiome Initiative
Pilot study to characterise the vaginal microbiome in women from the HMHB cohort.
- Depo Provera and Beyond
Understanding the Impact of Lower Dose Medroxyprogesterone Acetate and Long-Acting Contraceptives on Female Genital Tract Microbiome and Immunology
- Development of hydrogel based intravaginal drug delivery device
Developing an intravaginal ring to deliver a microbiota metabolite.
Transforming Women's Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
A collaborative research program aimed at providing life-saving health care for women and children in PNG.
- HMHB - Health Services for Postnatal and Infancy Care
Focuses on services during postnatal period and through the first 12 months in East New Britain, PNG.
- IMSA: Improving SRH knowledge among young people in Magwey, Myanmar
This formative study provides evidence of current knowledge and attitudes among adolescents.
- Inequalities in sexual and reproductive health in Asia and the Pacific
Despite progress to improve sexual and reproductive health in the region, significant inequalities in health outcomes and access to essential care remain.
- Mucosal injury from sexual contact (MISC)
Understanding the biological and socio-behavioural risk factors for HIV acquisition in South African adolescents.
- Predicting quality and potency of monoclonal and natural antibodies
Rapid, simple and scalable assays for predicting antibody potency.
- Sexual and reproductive health in Asia and the Pacific
A review of issues, policies and programmes.
- SHARP: Sexual Health And Risk Prevention Study
Assessing responses to HIV prevention measures among Australian MSM.
- SRH survey of Chinese-speaking international students
A survey of international students' sexual behaviors, knowledge of STIs, sexual education and pornography.
- SRHIP: Sexual & Reproductive Health Integration Project
SRHIP will expand coverage of STI, HIV, SRH within Catholic and Anglican PNG health services.
- The role of female genital tract microbial function in inflammation and HIV infection risk.
Using metaproteomics and in vitro models to evaluate the influence of microbial function on inflammation and HIV risk.
- TRYP: Transitions and Risk in Young People project
Investigating the influence of peer groups on behaviour in the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
- Children and teenagers' exposure to risk online and methods to reduce harm
Understanding experiences of parenting children in the age of online technology and pornography.
- 2011 Vanuatu Integrated Bio-Behavioural Survey and population size estimation
A study to estimate the number of men who have sex with men and prevalence of STIs in Port Vila.
- A study to improve the health and rights of Myanmar men who have sex with men
This research evaluated the effectiveness of ‘Link Up’ services, in men who have sex with men.
- Accelerating ART initiation among Infants (AAMI Study)
This project will trial the POC VISITECT® CD4 test and POC LYNX HIV p24 early infant diagnostic test.
- Adolescent reproductive health in Myanmar
Adolescent reproductive health in Myanmar
- Assessing adolescent friendly health services in Nepal
Young people in Nepal have poor access to quality, non-discriminatory health services.
- Australian Awards Fellowship: Inclusivity and diversity in sport: Fiji and Tonga
The Fellowship promoted inclusivity and diversity in sport in Fiji and Tonga.
- Compass: Women's and Children's Health Knowledge Hub
To increase the effectiveness of aid for women’s and children’s health in Asia and the Pacific
- Friendly HIV services for young key populations in Bandung, Indonesia
A pilot project to increase testing and decrease new HIV infections in Bandung.
- HIV Prevention Initiatives Evaluation
An initiative to reduce HIV/STI risk behaviours as well as increasing health seeking behaviours among homosexually active gay men.
- HIV services for young key populations in the Philippines
The Philippines is considering changing laws that require adolescents to seek parental consent for HIV testing. This project will explore options and contribute to better understanding of how new laws might result in improved practices.
- Maternal Neonatal and Child Health support in Magway Region, Myanmar
Improved MCH services via support to Township Health Departments and community based interventions.
- Menstrual hygiene management in Indonesia
Understanding the impact that menstrual hygiene practices can have on females in developing countries.
- Pathways to post abortion care in Myanmar
Understanding women's perspectives on accessing post-abortion care at public hospitals.
- SMS for Health: An acceptability trial of SMS to deliver adolescent sexual and reproductive health and anti-smoking messages to young people in Indonesia
The trial is investigating whether communication technologies can be used to improve sexual and reproductive health knowledge and awareness, access and utilisation of services, and improve awareness of harms related to smoking, in Indonesia.
- Strengthening Sexual and Reproductive Health Capacity in Bali
This project is aimed at building capacity around Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) and strengthening links between SRH and HIV prevention care and support
- Substance use and related harms among young people in the Solomon Islands
Quantitative and qualitative research into youth substance use in the Solomon Islands.
- Understanding the effects of programs to increase men’s engagement in maternal, newborn and child health
A multi-country study of how women and men in diverse settings experience efforts to increase male engagement in maternal, newborn and child health.
- WHISPER and SHOUT - mHealth interventions among Kenyan sex workers
Mobile phone-based health promotions sent to sex workers in Mombasa.
- Working with men to address HIV in Myanmar
Reducing HIV-related risk, vulnerability and impact among men who have sex with men in Myanmar.