With lives at stake, there’s no time to waste. The Alastair Lucas Prize for Medical Research allows the highest calibre researchers to immediately start life-saving work.
July, 2019 (1)
- Transdermal monitors to assess alcohol consumption in real-time and real-life - a qualitative study on user-experience
Caluzzi G, Pennay A, Cook M, Wright C, Norman T, Kuntsche E
Addiction Research and Theory. 2019 Jul; 27(4):354-361
June, 2019 (1)
- Ethical considerations for conducting sexual and reproductive health research with female adolescents engaged in high-risk behaviours in China.
Zhang XD, Luk SCY, Han YH, Chen GR, Zhang GL, Zhu BS, Luchters S
Sex Reprod Healthc. 2019 Jun; 20:46-53
May, 2019 (7)
- Use of long-acting reversible contraception in a cluster-random sample of female sex workers in Kenya.
Ampt FH, Lim MSC, Agius PA, Chersich MF, Manguro G, Gichuki CM, Stoové M, Temmerman M, Jaoko W, Hellard M, Gichangi P, Luchters S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 May; Epub ahead of print
- The burden of severe maternal outcomes and indicators of quality of maternal care in Nigerian hospitals: a secondary analysis comparing two large facility-based surveys.
Vogel JP, Fawole B, Adeniran AS, Adegbola O, Oladapo OT
BJOG. 2019 May; Epub ahead of print
- The contribution of functional antimalarial immunity to measures of parasite clearance in therapeutic efficacy studies of artemisinin derivatives.
O'Flaherty K, Ataíde R, Zaloumis SG, Ashley EA, Powell R, Feng G, Reiling L, Dondorp AM, Day NP, Dhorda M, Fairhurst RM, Lim P, Amaratunga C, Pukrittayakamee S, Hien TT, Htut Y, Mayxay M, Faiz MA, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Simpson JA, White NJ, Fowkes FJI
J Infect Dis. 2019 May; Epub ahead of print
- What matters to women and healthcare providers in relation to interventions for the prevention of postpartum haemorrhage: A qualitative systematic review.
Finlayson K, Downe S, Vogel JP, Oladapo OT
PLoS One. 2019 May; 14(5):e0215919
- Qualitative perspectives on the sustainability of sexual health continuous quality improvement in clinics serving remote Aboriginal communities in Australia.
Gunaratnam P, Schierhout G, Brands J, Maher L, Bailie R, Ward J, Guy R, Rumbold A, Ryder N, Fairley CK, Donovan B, Moore L, Kaldor J, Bell S
BMJ Open. 2019 May; 9(5):e026679
- A systematic review of the cost-effectiveness of uterotonic agents for the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage.
Lawrie TA, Rogozińska E, Sobiesuo P, Vogel JP, Ternent L, Oladapo OT.
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 May; Epub ahead of print
- Should we smoke it for you as well? An ethnographic analysis of a drug cryptomarket environment.
Kowalski M, Hooker C, Barratt MJ
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 May; Epub ahead of print
April, 2019 (16)
- Effect of seminal plasma on functions of monocytes and granulocytes.
Selva KJ, Juno JA, Worley MJ, Chung AW, Tachedjian G, Kent SJ, Parsons MS
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Association of Center-Specific Patient Volumes and Early Respiratory Management Practices with Death and Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia in Preterm Infants.
Spotswood N, Orsini F, Dargaville P; Australian and New Zealand Neonatal Network
J Pediatr. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- The Prison and Transition Health (PATH) Cohort Study: Study Protocol and Baseline Characteristics of a Cohort of Men with a History of Injecting Drug Use Leaving Prison in Australia.
Kirwan A, Curtis M, Dietze P, Aitken C, Woods E, Walker S, Kinner S, Ogloff J, Butler T, Stoové M
J Urban Health. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Quantitative evaluation of an integrated nurse model of care providing hepatitis C treatment to people attending homeless services in Melbourne, Australia.
Harney BL, Whitton B, Lim C, Paige E, McDonald B, Nolan S, Pemberton D, Hellard ME, Doyle JS
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Directly observed hepatitis C treatment with opioid substitution therapy in community pharmacies: A qualitative study.
Gunn J, Higgs P
Res Social Adm Pharm. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Scale-up of hepatitis C treatment in prisons is key to national elimination.
Papaluca T, Hellard ME, Thompson AJV, Lloyd AR
Med J Aust. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Association of HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis With Incidence of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Individuals at High Risk of HIV Infection.
Traeger MW, Cornelisse VJ, Asselin J, Price B, Roth NJ, Willcox J, Tee BK, Fairley CK, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Vujovic O, Penn M, Cundill P, Forgan-Smith G, Gall J, Pickett C, Lal L, Mak A, Spelman TD, Nguyen L, Murphy DA, Ryan KE, El-Hayek C, West M, Ruth S, Batrouney C, Lockwood JT, Hoy JF, Hellard ME, Stoové MA, Wright EJ; PrEPX Study Team
JAMA. 2019 Apr; 321(14):1380-1390
- Recognising the challenges of providing care for Thai pregnant adolescents: Healthcare professionals' views.
Jittitaworn W, Fox D, Catling C, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Addressing preconception behaviour change through mobile phone apps: a protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Musgrave LM, Homer CSE, Kizirian NV, Gordon A
Syst Rev. 2019 Apr; 8(1):86
- The emerging burden of liver disease in cystic fibrosis patients: A UK nationwide study.
Toledano MB, Mukherjee SK, Howell J, Westaby D, Khan SA, Bilton D, Simmonds NJ
PLoS One. 2019 Apr; 14(4):e0212779
- Bedaquiline overdose: A case report.
Telnov O, Alvarez V, Gragila E, Molfino L, du Cros P, Rich M
Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Diagnosis and drug resistance of human soil-transmitted helminth infections: A public health perspective.
Mutombo PN, Man NWY, Nejsum P, Ricketson R, Gordon CA, Robertson G, Clements ACA, Chacón-Fonseca N, Nissapatorn V, Webster JP, McLaws ML
Adv Parasitol. 2019 Apr; 104:247-326
- Reducing the global burden of disease in childhood - Authors' reply.
Vogel JP, Chawanpaiboon S, Gülmezoglu AM
Lancet Glob Health. 2019 Apr; 7(4):e416
- WASH: a basic human right and essential intervention for child health and development.
Russell F, Azzopardi P
Lancet Glob Health. 2019 Apr; 7(4):e417
- Impact of Xpert MTB/RIF assay on multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment outcomes in a health district in South Africa.
Mahwire TC, Zunza M, Marukutira T, Naidoo P
SAMJ. 2019 Apr; 109(4):259-263
- The mode of anesthesia influences outcome in mouse models of arterial thrombosis.
Sashindranath M, Sturgeon SA, French S, Craenmehr DDD, Selan C, Freddi S, Johnson C, Cody SH, Nesbitt WS, Hamilton JR, Nandurkar HH
Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2019 Apr; 3(2):197-206
March, 2019 (25)
- An Observational Case-Control Study to Determine Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Host Factor Influence on Biomarker Distribution and Serodiagnostic Potential in Adult Pulmonary Tuberculosis.
Mohd Hanafiah K, Garcia ML, Anderson DA
Trop Med Infect Dis. 2019 Mar; 4(2):E57
- The temporal dynamics and infectiousness of subpatent Plasmodium falciparum infections in relation to parasite density.
Slater HC, Ross A, Felger I, Hofmann NE, Robinson L, Cook J, Gonçalves BP, Björkman A, Ouedraogo AL, Morris U, Msellem M, Koepfli C, Mueller I, Tadesse F, Gadisa E, Das S, Domingo G, Kapulu M, Midega J, Owusu-Agyei S, Nabet C, Piarroux R, Doumbo O, Doumbo SN, Koram K, Lucchi N, Udhayakumar V, Mosha J, Tiono A, Chandramohan D, Gosling R, Mwingira F, Sauerwein R, Riley EM, White NJ, Nosten F, Imwong M, Bousema T, Drakeley C, Okell LC
Nat Commun. 2019 Mar; 10(1):1433
- Oxazole-benzenesulfonamide derivatives inhibit HIV-1 reverse transcriptase interaction with cellular eEF1A and reduce viral replication.
Rawle DJ, Li D, Wu Z, Wang L, Choong M, Lor M, Reid RC, Fairlie DP, Harris J, Tachedjian G, Poulsen SA, Harrich D
J Virol. 2019 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- People who inject drugs in Bangladesh - the untold burden!
Khan SI, Md Masud R, Crowe SM, Rahman M, Hellard M, Sarker MS, Chowdhury EI, Rana AM, Sacks-Davis R, Banu S, Ross AG
Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Treatment access is only the first step to hepatitis C elimination: experience of universal anti-viral treatment access in Australia.
Doyle JS, Scott N, Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana AE, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME; Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Scaling Up Misoprostol to Prevent Postpartum Hemorrhage at Home Births in Mozambique: A Case Study Applying the ExpandNet/WHO Framework.
Hobday K, Hulme J, Prata N, Wate PZ, Belton S, Homer C
Glob Health Sci Pract. 2019 Mar; 7(1):66-86
- Obesity and Fat Metabolism in HIV-infected Individuals: Immunopathogenic Mechanisms and Clinical Implications.
Godfrey C, Bremer A, Alba D, Apovian C, Koethe JR, Koliwad S, Lewis D, Lo J, McComsey GA, Eckard A, Srinivasa S, Trevillyan J, Palmer C, Grinspoon S
J Infect Dis. 2019 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Building a tuberculosis-free world: The Lancet Commission on tuberculosis.
Reid MJA, Arinaminpathy N, Bloom A, Bloom BR, Boehme C, Chaisson R, Chin DP, Churchyard G, Cox H, Ditiu L, Dybul M, Farrar J, Fauci AS, Fekadu E, Fujiwara PI, Hallett TB, Hanson CL, Harrington M, Herbert N, Hopewell PC, Ikeda C, Jamison DT, Khan AJ, Koek I, Krishnan N, Motsoaledi A, Pai M, Raviglione MC, Sharman A, Small PM, Swaminathan S, Temesgen Z, Vassall A, Venkatesan N, van Weezenbeek K, Yamey G, Agins BD, Alexandru S, Andrews JR, Beyeler N, Bivol S, Brigden G, Cattamanchi A, Cazabon D, Crudu V, Daftary A, Dewan P, Doepel LK, Eisinger RW, Fan V, Fewer S, Furin J, Goldhaber-Fiebert JD, Gomez GB, Graham SM, Gupta D, Kamene M, Khaparde S, Mailu EW, Masini EO, McHugh L, Mitchell E, Moon S, Osberg M, Pande T, Prince L, Rade K, Rao R, Remme M, Seddon JA, Selwyn C, Shete P, Sachdeva KS, Stallworthy G, Vesga JF, Vilc V, Goosby EP
Lancet. 2019 Mar; 393(10178):1331-1384
- Bridging the knowledge-practice gap in tuberculosis contact management in a high-burden setting: a mixed-methods protocol for a multicenter health system strengthening study.
Lestari T, Graham S, van den Boogard C, Triasih R, Poespoprodjo JR, Ubra RR, Kenangalem E, Mahendradhata Y, Anstey NM, Bailie RS, Ralph AP
Implement Sci. 2019 Mar; 14(1):31
- The Human FcgammaRII (CD32) Family of Leukocyte FcR in Health and Disease.
Anania JC, Chenoweth AM, Wines BD, Hogarth PM
Front Immunol. 2019 Mar; 10:464
- Creating the first national linked dataset on perinatal and maternal outcomes in Australia: Methods and challenges.
Cheah SL, Scarf VL, Rossiter C, Thornton C, Homer CSE
J Biomed Inform. 2019 Mar; 93:103152
- Differential Patterns of IgG Subclass Responses to Plasmodium falciparum Antigens in Relation to Malaria Protection and RTS,S Vaccination.
Dobaño C, Santano R, Vidal M, Jiménez A, Jairoce C, Ubillos I, Dosoo D, Aguilar R, Williams NA, Díez-Padrisa N, Ayestaran A, Valim C, Asante KP, Owusu-Agyei S, Lanar D, Chauhan V, Chitnis C, Dutta S, Angov E, Gamain B, Coppel RL, Beeson JG, Reiling L, Gaur D, Cavanagh D, Gyan B, Nhabomba AJ, Campo JJ, Moncunill G
Front Immunol. 2019 Mar; 10:439
- Barriers to cervical cancer screening among rural women in eastern China: a qualitative study.
Yang H, Li SP, Chen Q, Morgan C
BMJ Open. 2019 Mar; 9(3):e026413
- 'Next Generation Youth Well-being Study:' understanding the health and social well-being trajectories of Australian Aboriginal adolescents aged 10-24 years: study protocol.
Gubhaju L, Banks E, Ward J, D'Este C, Ivers R, Roseby R, Azzopardi P, Williamson A, Chamberlain C, Liu B, Hotu C, Boyle J, McNamara B, Eades SJ; ‘Next Generation’ investigator team.
BMJ Open. 2019 Mar; 9(3):e028734
- Treatment outcomes of patients switching from an injectable drug to bedaquiline during short standardized MDR-TB treatment in Mozambique.
Bastard M, Molfino L, Mutaquiha C, Galindo MA, Zindoga P, Vaz D, Mahinça I, du Cros P, Rusch B, Telnov A
Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Progress in adolescent health and wellbeing: tracking 12 headline indicators for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016.
Azzopardi PS, Hearps SJC, Francis KL, Kennedy EC, Mokdad AH, Kassebaum NJ, Lim S, Irvine CMS, Vos T, Brown AD, Dogra S, Kinner SA, Kaoma NS, Naguib M, Reavley NJ, Requejo J, Santelli JS, Sawyer SM, Skirbekk V, Temmerman M, Tewhaiti-Smith J, Ward JL, Viner RM, Patton GC
Lancet. 2019 Mar; 393(10176):1101-1118
- Genomic characterization of hepatitis C virus transmitted founder variants with deep sequencing.
Abayasingam A, Leung P, Eltahla A, Bull RA, Luciani F, Grebely J, Dore GJ, Applegate T, Page K, Bruneau J, Cox AL, Kim AY, Schinkel J, Shoukry NH, Lauer GM, Maher L, Hellard M, Prins M, Lloyd A, Rodrigo C
Infect Genet Evol. 2019 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- A 30 kDa polyethylene glycol-enfuvirtide complex enhances the exposure of enfuvirtide in lymphatic viral reservoirs in rats.
Kaminskas LM, Williams CC, Leong NJ, Chan LJ, Butcher NJ, Feeney OM, Porter CJH, Tyssen D, Tachedjian G, Ascher DB
Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2019 Mar; 137:218-226
- Combined oral contraceptive pill-exposure alone does not reduce the risk of bacterial vaginosis recurrence in a pilot randomised controlled trial.
Vodstrcil LA, Plummer ME, Fairley CK, Tachedjian G, Law MG, Hocking JS, Worthington MK, Grant MM, Okoko N, Bradshaw CS
Sci Rep. 2019 Mar; 9(1):3555
- Dendritic Cell Responses and Function in Malaria.
Yap XZ, Lundie RJ, Beeson JG, O'Keeffe MKeeffe
Front Immunol. 2019 Mar; 10:357
- The association between experiencing discrimination and physical and mental health among PWID.
Couto E Cruz C, Salom CL, Dietze P, Burns L, Alati R
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Mar; 65:24-30
- Screening for depressive and anxiety disorders among adolescents in Indonesia: Formal validation of the centre for epidemiologic studies depression scale - revised and the Kessler psychological distress scale.
Tran TD, Kaligis F, Wiguna T, Willenberg L, Nguyen HTM, Luchters S, Azzopardi P, Fisher J
J Affect Disord. 2019 Mar; 246:189-194
- Proteomic analysis of Plasmodium falciparum histone deacetylase 1 complex proteins.
Engel JA, Norris EL, Gilson P, Przyborski J, Shonhai A, Blatch GL, Skinner-Adams TS, Gorman J, Headlam M, Andrews KT
Exp Parasitol. 2019 Mar; 198:7-16
- What can Australia learn from the North American opioid crisis? The role of opioid regulation and other evidence-based responses.
Nielsen S, Dietze PM
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2019 Mar; 38(3):223-225
- The N-terminus of EXP2 forms the membrane-associated pore of the protein exporting translocon PTEX in Plasmodium falciparum.
Sanders PR, Dickerman BK, Charnaud SC, Ramsland PA, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
J Biochem. 2019 Mar; 165(3):239-248
February, 2019 (32)
- Sex discrepancies in the protective effect of opioid agonist therapy on incident hepatitis C infection.
Geddes L, Iversen J, Wand H, Esmaeili A, Tsui J, Hellard M, Dore G, Grebely J, Dietze P, Bruneau J, Prins M, Morris MD, Shoukry NH, Lloyd AR, Kim AY, Lauer G, Cox AL, Page K, Maher L; InC3 Collaborative.
Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- The salt between the beans: a qualitative study of the role of auxiliary midwives in a hard-to-reach area of Myanmar.
Than KK, Luchters S, Tin KN, La T, Beeson J, Morgan A
BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Feb; 19(1):138
- Evaluation of 4-amino 2-anilinoquinazolines against Plasmodium and other apicomplexan parasites in vitro and in a P. falciparum humanized NOD-scid IL2Rgamma(null) mouse model of malaria.
Gilson PR, Nguyen W, Poole WA, Teixeira JE, Thompson JK, Guo K, Stewart RJ, Ashton TD, White KL, Sanz LM, Gamo FJ, Charman SA, Wittlin S, Duffy J, Tonkin CJ, Tham WH, Crabb BS, Cooke BM, Huston CD, Cowman AF, Sleebs BE
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2019 Feb; 63(3):e01804-18
- Induction and decay of functional complement-fixing antibodies by the RTS,S malaria vaccine in children, and a negative impact of malaria exposure.
Kurtovic L, Agius PA, Feng G, Drew DR, Ubillos I, Sacarlal J, Aponte JJ, Fowkes FJI, Dobaño C, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2019 Feb; 17(1):45
- Community-based, point-of-care hepatitis C testing: perspectives and preferences of people who inject drugs.
Latham NH, Pedrana A, Doyle JS, Howell J, Williams B, Higgs P, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME
J Viral Hepat. 2019 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine plus azithromycin may improve birth outcomes through impacts on inflammation and placental angiogenesis independent of malarial infection.
Unger HW, Hansa AP, Buffet C, Hasang W, Teo A, Randall L, Ome-Kaius M, Karl S, Anuan AA, Beeson JG, Mueller I, Stock SJ, Rogerson SJ`
Sci Rep. 2019 Feb; 9(1):2260
- Early initiation of antiretroviral therapy for people newly diagnosed with HIV infection in Australia: trends and predictors, 2004-2015.
McManus H, Callander D, Donovan B, Russell DB, O'Connor CC, Davies SC, Lewis DA, Hellard ME, Chen MY, Petoumenos K, Varma R, Cogle A, Boyd MA, Grulich A, Pollard J, Medland N, Fairley CK, Guy RJ
Med J Aust. 2019 Feb; 210(6):269-275
- Cross-sectional associations between Ideal Cardiovascular Health scores and vascular phenotypes in 11- to 12-year-olds and their parents: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children.
Liu RS, Wake M, Grobler A, Cheung M, Lycett K, Ranganathan S, Edwards B, Dwyer T, Azzopardi P, Juonala M, Burgner DP
Int J Cardiol. 2019 Feb; 277:258-265
- HIV diagnoses in migrant populations in Australia-A changing epidemiology.
Gunaratnam P, Heywood AE, McGregor S, Jamil MS, McManus H, Mao L, Lobo R, Brown G, Hellard M, Marukutira T, Bretaña NA, Lang C, Medland N, Bavinton B, Grulich A, Guy R
PLoS One. 2019 Feb; 14(2):e0212268
- Qualitative assessment of South African healthcare worker perspectives on an instrument-free rapid CD4 test.
Scorgie F, Mohamed Y, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S, Chersich MF
BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Feb; 19(1):123
- Hepatitis B virus-like particles expressing Plasmodium falciparum epitopes induce complement-fixing antibodies against the circumsporozoite protein.
Kingston NJ, Kurtovic L, Walsh R, Joe C, Lovrecz G, Locarnini S, Beeson JG, Netter HJ
Vaccine. 2019 Feb
- Estimating the number of people who inject drugs and syringe coverage in Australia, 2005-2016.
Kwon JA, Iversen J, Law M, Dolan K, Wand H, Maher L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019 Feb; 197:108-114
- Analgesia during Labor and Vaginal Birth among Women with Severe Maternal Morbidity: Secondary Analysis from the WHO Multicountry Survey on Maternal and Newborn Health.
Souza MA, Guida JPS, Cecatti JG, Souza JP, Gulmezoglu AM, Betran AP, Torloni MR, Vogel JP, Costa ML
Biomed Res Int. 2019 Feb; 2019:7596165
- Targeting malaria parasite invasion of red blood cells as an antimalarial strategy.
Burns AL, Dans MG, Balbin JM, deKoning-Ward T, Gilson PR, Beeson JG, Boyle MJ, Wilson DW
FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2019 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Activated platelets in the tumor microenvironment for targeting of antibody-drug conjugates to tumors and metastases.
Yap ML, McFadyen JD, Wang X, Ziegler M, Chen YC, Willcox A, Nowell CJ, Scott AM, Sloan EK, Hogarth PM, Pietersz GA, Peter K
Theranostics. 2019 Feb; 9(4):1154-1169
- Estimating the syphilis epidemic among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men in Australia following changes in HIV care and prevention.
Wilkinson A, Scott N, Tidhar T, Luong P, El-Hayek C , Wilson D, Fairley C, Zhang L, Leslie D , Roth N , Tee BK , Hellard M , Stoové M
Sex Health. 2019 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Targets of complement-fixing antibodies in protective immunity against malaria in children.
Reiling L, Boyle MJ, White MT, Wilson DW, Feng G, Weaver R, Opi DH, Persson KEM, Richards JS, Siba PM, Fowkes FJI, Takashima E, Tsuboi T, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Nat Commun. 2019 Feb; 10(1):610
- Women's knowledge of maternal danger signs during pregnancy: Findings from a cross-sectional survey in Papua New Guinea.
Vallely LM, Emori R, Gouda H, Phuanukoonnon S, Homer C, Vallely AJ
Midwifery. 2019 Feb; 72:7-13
- HIV latency can be established in proliferating and nonproliferating resting CD4+ T cells in vitro: implications for latency reversal.
Moso MA, Anderson JL, Adikari S, Gray LR, Khoury G, Chang JJ, Jacobson JC, Ellett AM, Cheng WJ, Saleh S, Zaunders JJ, Purcell DFJ, Cameron PU, Churchill MJ, Lewin SR, Lu HK
AIDS. 2019 Feb; 33(2):199-209
- Integrative biomarkers of biologic aging in HIV.
Rajasuriar R, Palmer C, Abdel-Mohsen M, Kamaruzzaman SB
AIDS. 2019 Feb; 33(2):345-347
- Accelerating the elimination of viral hepatitis: a Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology Commission.
Cooke GS, Andrieux-Meyer I, Applegate TL, Atun R, Burry JR, Cheinquer H, Dusheiko G, Feld JJ, Gore C, Griswold MG, Hamid S, Hellard ME, Hou J, Howell J, Jia J, Kravchenko N, Lazarus JV, Lemoine M, Lesi OA, Maistat L, McMahon BJ, Razavi H, Roberts TR, Simmons B, Sonderup MW, Spearman CW, Taylor BE, Thomas DL, Waked I, Ward JW, Wiktor SZ; Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology Commissioners.
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Feb; 4(2):135-184
- Take-home naloxone and the politics of care.
Farrugia A, Fraser S, Dwyer R, Fomiatti R, Neale J, Dietze P, Strang J
Sociol Health Illn. 2019 Feb; 41(2):427-443
- Pregabalin misuse-related ambulance attendances in Victoria, 2012-2017: characteristics of patients and attendances.
Crossin R, Scott D, Arunogiri S, Smith K, Dietze PM, Lubman DI
Med J Aust. 2019 Feb; 210(2):75-79
- Understanding HIV and hepatitis C virus risk among incarcerated young men with histories of injecting drug use.
Walker S, Stoové M, Wilson M, Higgs P.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2019 Feb; 19(2):130-131
- A latent class approach to identify multi-risk profiles associated with phylogenetic clustering of recent hepatitis C virus infection in Australia and New Zealand from 2004 to 2015.
Bartlett SR, Applegate TL, Jacka BP, Martinello M, Lamoury FM, Danta M, Bradshaw D, Shaw D, Lloyd AR, Hellard M, Dore GJ, Matthews GV, Grebely J
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Feb; 22(2):e25222
- Presence of doctors and obstetrician/gynecologists for patients with maternal complications in hospitals in six provinces of Indonesia.
Pedrana A, Tholandi M, Qomariyah SN, Sethi R, Hyre A, Amelia D, Suhowatsky S, Ahmed S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:42-50
- Assessing the effect of the Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival program on improving stabilization and referral for maternal and newborn complications in Indonesia.
Pedrana A, Qomariyah SN, Tholandi M, Wijayanto B, Gandawidjaja T, Amelia D, Apriatni M, Sudirman S, Zazri A, Sethi R, Emerson M, Ahmed S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:30-41
- The effect of Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival interventions on improving the coverage of labor monitoring and complication prevention practices in hospitals in Indonesia: A difference-in-difference analysis.
Tholandi M, Sethi R, Pedrana A, Qomariyah SN, Amelia D, Kaslam P, Sudirman S, Apriatni MS, Rahmanto A, Emerson M, Ahmed S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:21-29
- Changes in obstetric case fatality and early newborn mortality rates in hospitals after the implementation of the Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival program in Indonesia: Results from a health information system.
Ahmed S, Tholandi M, Pedrana A, Zazri A, Parmawaty N, Rahmanto A, Sethi R
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:13-20
- Assessment of knowledge of evidence-based maternal and newborn care practices among midwives and nurses in six provinces in Indonesia.
Reena Sethi, Maya Tholandi, Dwirani Amelia, Alisa Pedrana, Saifuddin Ahmed
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:51-58
- Collaborative community checklists for immunisation: a
feasibility and acceptability study in rural Myanmar
Morgan C, Davis J, Lin HH, Thar AMC, Ko AK, Luchters S, La T, Kyaw HK, , Myint AA, Win DT, Ko WEP
International Initiative for Impact Evaluation. 2019 Feb; Formative Evaluation Report
- Implementation of midwifery continuity of care models for Indigenous women in Australia: Perspectives and reflections for the United Kingdom.
Fernandez Turienzo C, Roe Y, Rayment-Jones H, Kennedy A, Forster D, Homer C, McLachlan H, Sandall J
Midwifery. 2019 Feb; 69:110-112
January, 2019 (52)
- Different Life Cycle Stages of Plasmodium falciparum Induce Contrasting Responses in Dendritic Cells.
Yap XZ, Lundie RJ, Feng GQ, Pooley J, Beeson JG, O'Keeffe M
Front Immunol. 2019 Jan; 10:32
- Performance of a novel low-cost, instrument-free plasma separation device for HIV viral load quantification and determination of treatment failure in people living with HIV in Malaysia: a diagnostic accuracy study.
Pham MD, Haile BA, Azwa I, Kamarulzaman A, Raman N, Saeidi A, Bador MK, Tan M, Zhu J, Yi F, Elliott JH, Garcia ML, Li F, Crowe SM, Luchters S, Anderson DA
J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Jan; 57(4):e01683-18
- Research prioritization of interventions for the primary prevention of preterm birth: An international survey.
Allotey J, Matei A, Husain S, Newton S, Dodds J, Armson AB, Khan KS, Vogel JP
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Primary and secondary prevention of preterm birth: a review of systematic reviews and ongoing randomized controlled trials.
Matei A, Saccone G, Vogel JP, Armson AB
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Unintended consequences of a cautious approach to e-cigarette laws.
Catalano C, Cranswick NE, Robinson J, Grindlay J, Creati M, Danchin MH, Williams N, Gwee A
Med J Aust. 2019 Jan; 210(3):143
- The impact and cost-effectiveness of combined HIV prevention scenarios among transgender women sex-workers in Lima, Peru: a mathematical modelling study.
Annick Borquez, Juan Vicente Guanira, Paul Revill, Patricia Caballero, Alfonso Silva-Santisteban, Sherrie Kelly, Ximena Salazar, Patricia Bracamonte, Percy Minaya, Timothy B Hallett, Carlos F Caceres
Lancet Public Health. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Harnessing synergies at the interface of public health and the security sector.
Thomson N, Littlejohn M, Strathdee SA, Southby RF, Coghlan B, Rosenfeld JV, Galvani AP
Lancet. 2019 Jan; 393(10168):207-209
- The impact of early life exposure to Plasmodium falciparum on the development of naturally acquired immunity to malaria in young Malawian children.
Barua P, Beeson JG, Maleta K, Ashorn P, Rogerson SJ
Malar J. 2019 Jan; 18(1):11
- Two families of Env antibodies efficiently engage Fc-gamma receptors and eliminate HIV-1-infected cells.
Anand SP, Prévost J, Baril S, Richard J, Medjahed H, Chapleau JP, Tolbert WD, Kirk S, Smith AB 3rd, Wines BD, Kent SJ, Hogarth PM, Parsons MS, Pazgier M, Finzi A.
J Virol. 2019 Jan; 93(3):e01823-18
- Applying the 'no-one worse off' criterion to design Pareto efficient HIV responses in Sudan and Togo.
Stuart RM, Haghparast-Bidgoli H, Panovska-Griffiths J, Grobicki L, Skordis J, Kerr CC, Kedziora DJ, Martin-Hughes R, Kelly SL, Wilson DP
AIDS. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Antibody Responses to Antigenic Targets of Recent Exposure Are Associated With Low-Density Parasitemia in Controlled Human Plasmodium falciparum Infections.
van den Hoogen LL, Walk J, Oulton T, Reuling IJ, Reiling L, Beeson JG, Coppel RL, Singh SK, Draper SJ, Bousema T, Drakeley C, Sauerwein R, Tetteh KKA
Front Microbiol. 2019 Jan; 9:3300
- The evolving facets of bacterial vaginosis: implications for HIV transmission.
McKinnon LR, Achilles S, Bradshaw CS, Burgener A, Crucitti T, Fredricks DN, Jaspan HB, Kaul R, Kaushic C, Klatt N, Kwon DS, Marrazzo JM, Masson L, McClelland S, Ravel J, van de Wijgert JHHM, Vodstrcil LA, Tachedjian G
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2019 Jan; 35(3):219-228
- "We are not gays... don't tell me those things": engaging 'hidden' men who have sex with men and transgender women in HIV prevention in Myanmar.
Veronese V, Clouse E, Wirtz AL, Thu KH, Naing S, Baral SD, Stoové M, Beyrer C
BMC Public Health. 2019 Jan; 19(1):63
- Outcomes of treatment for hepatitis C in prisoners using a nurse-led, state-wide model of care.
Papaluca T, McDonald L, Craigie A, Gibson A, Desmond P, Wong D, Winter R, Scott N, Howell J, Doyle J, Pedrana A, Lloyd A, Stoové M, Hellard M, Iser D, Thompson A
J Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 70(5):839-846
- Low Levels of Human Antibodies to Gametocyte-Infected Erythrocytes Contrasts the PfEMP1-Dominant Response to Asexual Stages in P. falciparum Malaria.
Chan JA, Drew DR, Reiling L, Lisboa-Pinto A, Dinko B, Sutherland CJ, Dent AE, Chelimo K, Kazura JW, Boyle MJ, Beeson JG
Front Immunol. 2019 Jan; 9:3126
- Barriers and opportunities in the translation of mobile phone and social media interventions between research and health promotion practice in Australia: a qualitative study of expert perspectives.
Wright CJC, Schwarzman J, Dietze PM, Crockett B, Lim MSC
Health Res Policy Syst. 2019 Jan; 17(1):5
- Challenges and strategies for developing efficacious and long-lasting malaria vaccines.
Beeson JG, Kurtovic L, Dobaño C, Opi DH, Chan JA, Feng G, Good MF, Reiling L, Boyle MJ
Sci Transl Med. 2019 Jan; 11(474)
- A Bioelectronic System to Measure the Glycolytic Metabolism of Activated CD4+ T Cells.
Crowe SM, Kintzios S, Kaltsas G, Palmer CS
Biosensors. 2019 Jan; 9(1)
- Personal and reported partner pornography viewing by Australian women, and association with mental health and body image.
Laemmle-Ruff IL, Raggatt M, Wright CJC, Carrotte ER, Davis A, Jenkinson R, Lim MSC
Sex Health. 2019 Jan; 16(1):75-79
- Host and Viral Proteins Modulating Ebola and Marburg Virus Egress.
Gordon TB, Hayward JA, Marsh GA, Baker ML, Tachedjian G
Viruses. 2019 Jan; 11(1)
- Fc-dependent functions are redundant to efficacy of anti-HIV antibody PGT121 in macaques.
Parsons MS, Lee WS, Kristensen AB, Amarasena T, Khoury G, Wheatley AK, Reynaldi A, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Davenport MP, Kent SJ
J Clin Invest. 2019 Jan; 129(1):182-191
- Global, regional, and national burden of traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Collaborators (including Azzopardi PS)
Lancer Neurol. 2019 Jan; 18(1):56-87
- #Drugsforsale: An exploration of the use of social media and encrypted messaging apps to supply and access drugs.
Moyle L, Childs A, Coomber R, Barratt MJ
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Jan; 63:101-110
- Prevalence and determinants of unprotected sex in intimate partnerships of men who inject drugs: findings from a prospective intervention study.
Sharma V, Tun W, Sarna A, Saraswati LR, Pham MD, Thior I, Luchters S
Int J STD AIDS. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print:956462418802142
- "I'm obviously not dying so it's not something I need to sort out today": Considering hepatitis C treatment in the era of direct acting antivirals.
Wright C, Cogger S, Hsieh K, Goutzamanis S, Hellard M, Higgs P
Infect Dis Health. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- The future in their hands: Graduating student midwives' plans, job satisfaction and the desire to work in midwifery continuity of care.
Evans J, Taylor J, Browne J, Ferguson S, Atchan M, Maher P, Homer CS, Davis D
Women Birth. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Beyond the headlines: Fetal movement awareness is an important stillbirth prevention strategy.
Flenady V, Ellwood D, Bradford B, Coory M, Middleton P, Gardener G, Radestad I, Homer C, Davies-Tuck M, Forster D, Gordon A, Groom K, Crowther C, Walker S, Foord C, Warland J, Murphy M, Said J, Boyle F, O'Donoghue K, Cronin R, Sexton J, Weller M, McCowan L
Women Birth. 2019 Jan; 32(1):1-2
- Injecting drug use is an independent risk factor for reincarceration after release from prison: A prospective cohort study.
Winter RJ, Stoové M, Agius PA, Hellard ME, Kinner SA
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Prevalence of reagent test-kit use and perceptions of purity among ecstasy users in an electronic dance music scene in New York City.
Palamar JJ, Barratt MJ
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Genomic variability of within-host hepatitis C variants in acute infection.
Rodrigo C, Leung P, Lloyd AR, Bull RA, Luciani F, Grebely J, Dore GJ, Applegate T, Page K, Bruneau J, Cox AL, Osburn W, Kim AY, Shoukry NH, Lauer GM, Maher L, Schinkel J, Prins M, Hellard M, Eltahla AA; InC3 Collaborative
J Viral Hepat. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Structural interventions and social suffering: Responding to amphetamine-type stimulant use among female entertainment and sex workers in Cambodia.
Coupland H, Page K, Stein E, Carrico A, Evans J, Dixon T, Sokunny M, Phou M, Maher L
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Jan; 64:70-78
- Tripeptide analogues of MG132 as protease inhibitors.
Pehere AD, Nguyen S, Garlick SK, Wilson DW, Hudson I, Sykes MJ, Morton JD, Abell AD
Bioorg Med Chem. 2019 Jan; 27(2):436-441
- Synthesis and pharmacology of new psychoactive substance 5F-CUMYL-P7AICA, a scaffold hopping analogue of synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists 5F-CUMYL-PICA and 5F-CUMYL-PINACA.
Banister SD, Adams A, Kevin RC, Macdonald C, Glass M, Boyd R, Connor M, McGregor IS, Havel CM, Bright SJ, Ventura M, Gil C, Barratt MJ, Gerona RR
Drug Test Anal. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Relationship between self-efficacy and HIV testing uptake among young men who have sex with men in Myanmar: a cross-sectional analysis.
Pham MD, Aung PP, Agius PA, Pasricha N, Oo SM, Tun W, Bajracharya A, Luchters S
Int J STD AIDS. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print:956462418791945
- Hepatitis C elimination among people who inject drugs: Challenges and recommendations for action within a health systems framework.
Day E, Hellard M, Treloar C, Bruneau J, Martin NK, Øvrehus A, Dalgard O, Lloyd A, Dillon J, Hickman M, Byrne J, Litwin A, Maticic M, Bruggmann P, Midgard H, Norton B, Trooskin S, Lazarus JV, Grebely J; International Network on Hepatitis in Substance Users (INHSU).
Liver Int. 2019 Jan; 39(1):20-30
- Aiming for the elimination of viral hepatitis in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Territories: where are we now and barriers to meeting WHO targets by 2030.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Cowie BC, Doyle J, Getehun A, Ward J, Gane E, Cunningham C, Wallace J, Lee A, Malani J, Thompson A, Hellard ME
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 34(1):40-48
- Molecular Dissection of an Inhibitor Targeting the HIV Integrase Dependent Pre-Integration Complex Nuclear Import.
Wagstaff KM, Headey S, Telwatte S, Tyssen D, Hearps AC, Thomas DR, Tachedjian G, Jans DA
Cell Microbiol. 2019 Jan; 21(1):e12953
- Plasmodium falciparum activates CD16+ dendritic cells to produce TNF and IL-10 in subpatent malaria.
Loughland JR, Woodberry T, Boyle MJ, Tipping PE, Piera KA, Amante FH, Kenangalem E, Price RN, Engwerda CR, Anstey NM, McCarthy JS, Minigo G
J Infect Dis. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Cost-effectiveness of 3 months of weekly rifapentine and isoniazid compared with other standard treatment regimens for latent tuberculosis infection: a decision analysis study.
Doan TN, Fox GJ, Meehan MT, Scott N, Ragonnet R, Viney K, Trauer JM, McBryde ES
J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019 Jan; 74(1):218-227
- Harm reduction strategies related to dosing and their relation to harms among festival attendees who use multiple drugs.
Fernández-Calderón F, Díaz-Batanero C, Barratt MJ, Palamar JJ
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- The cell surface phenotype of human dendritic cells.
Clark GJ, Silveira PA, Hogarth PM, Hart DNJ
Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2019 Jan; 86(S1):3-14
- Improving hepatitis C direct-acting antiviral access and uptake: a role for patient-reported outcomes and lived-experience.
Goutzamanis S, Doyle J, Higgs P, Hellard M
J Viral Hepat. 2019 Jan; 26(2):218-223
- The global campaign to eliminate HBV and HCV infection: International Viral Hepatitis Elimination Meeting and core indicators for development towards the 2030 elimination goals.
Popping S, Bade D, Boucher C, van der Valk M, El-Sayed M, Sigurour O, Sypsa V, Morgan T, Gamkrelidze A, Mukabatsinda C, Deuffic-Burban S, Ninburg M, Feld J, Hellard M, Ward J
J Virus Erad. 2019 Jan; 5(1):60-66
- Comparing short versions of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) in a military cohort.
Watterson J, Gabbe B, Dietze P, Bowring A, Rosenfeld JV
J R Army Med Corps. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Patterns in Reduction or Cessation of Drinking in Australia (2001-2013) and Motivation for Change.
Pennay A, Callinan S, Livingston M, Lubman DI, Holmes J, MacLean S, Herring R, Dietze P
Alcohol Alcohol. 2019 Jan; 54(1):79-86
- Acquisition of Antibodies Against Endothelial Protein C Receptor-Binding Domains of Plasmodium falciparum Erythrocyte Membrane Protein 1 in Children with Severe Malaria.
Rambhatla JS, Turner L, Manning L, Laman M, Davis TME, Beeson JG, Mueller I, Warrel J, Theander TG, Lavstsen T, Rogerson SJ
J Infect Dis. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Antibody Targets on the Surface of Plasmodium falciparum-Infected Erythrocytes That Are Associated With Immunity to Severe Malaria in Young Children.
Chan JA, Boyle MJ, Moore KA, Reiling L, Lin Z, Hasang W, Avril M, Manning L, Mueller I, Laman M, Davis T, Smith JD, Rogerson SJ, Simpson JA, Fowkes FJI, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2019 Jan; 219(5):819-828.
- Five-year Changes in Methamphetamine Use, Dependence, and Remission in a Community-recruited Cohort.
Lanyon C, Nambiar D, Higgs P, Dietze P, Quinn B
J Addict Med. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Routine opioid outcome monitoring in community pharmacy: Pilot implementation study protocol.
Nielsen S, Kowalski M, Wood P, Larney S, Bruno R, Shanahan M, Lenton S, Dietze P, Green T, Murnion B, Ritter A
Res Social Adm Pharm. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Gonorrhoea gone wild: rising incidence of gonorrhoea and associated risk factors among gay and bisexual men attending Australian sexual health clinics.
Callander D, Guy R, Fairley CK, McManus H, Prestage G, Chow EPF, Chen M, Connor CCO, Grulich AE, Bourne C, Hellard M, Stoové M, Donovan B
Sex Health. 2019 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- The field performance and diagnostic accuracy of a low-cost instrument-free point-of-care CD4 test (VISITECT(R) CD4) performed by different health worker cadres among pregnant women.
Luchters S, Technau K, Mohamed Y, Chersich MF, Agius PA, Pham MD, Garcia ML, Forbes J, Shepherd A, Coovadia A, Crowe SM, Anderson DA
J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Jan; 57(2):e01277-18
- Injection drug network characteristics as a predictor of injection behaviour.
Spelman T, Sacks-Davis R, Dietze P, Higgs P, Hellard M
Epidemiol Infect. 2019 Jan; 147:e173
- Eliminate HIV (15)
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies (HMHB) (5)
- Eliminate Viral Hepatitis (14)
- Eliminate Malaria (15)
- Maternal and Child Health (86)
- Disease Elimination (101)
- Behaviours and Health Risks (65)
- Eliminate Tuberculosis (TB) (5)
- Health Security (Expansion Program) (43)
- Adolescent Health (2)
- Healthy Ageing (Expansion Program) (40)
- International Operations (3)
- Latest Research Advances (0)
- HIV and AIDS (22)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (3)
- Maternal and Child Health (23)
- Malaria (17)
- Immune Disease and Cancer (7)
- Hepatitis B (3)
- Hepatitis C (17)
- Injecting Drug Use (10)
- Alcohol and Other Drugs (12)
- Tuberculosis (TB) (6)
- Young People's Health (9)
- Justice Health (3)
- Sexual and Reproductive Health (5)
- Infectious Diseases Surveillance (1)
- LGBTQIA+ (3)