Defeng has a background in psychology and social sciences. Her research interests include stigma and discrimination associated with hepatitis B virus, implications of COVID-19 on individuals and community, migrant health, complementary and alternative therapies, and mental health and wellbeing among young people.
Prior to undertaking research at the University of New South Wales, Defeng has worked in education and managing Students’ Mental Health and Well-being Education Centre at Wuhan Huaxia University of Technology, China.
Defeng was involved in the following projects:
- Stigma Indicators Monitoring Project at the Centre for Social Research in Health, University of New South Wales (2020-2022);
- Sex in Translation at Kirby Institute (2020);
- Assessment on Psychological Development of Chinese Children and Adolescents (2009).
Defeng was a Chief Investigator on three projects on mental health among university students in China:
- Developing a positive mental health education model to promote university students’ development (2011-2012);
- Relationship among achievement goal, self-esteem and defensive pessimism of college students (2011-2012);
- Effects of group counselling on interpersonal communication of independent college undergraduates (2011).
- 2022: Research Assistant, Optimise COVID-19 Study: Optimising isolation, quarantine and distancing study for COVID-19, Burnet Institute
- 2017-2021: PhD candidate and research assistant, the Centre for Social Research in Health, University of New South Wales
- 2014: Director, Students’ Mental Health and Well-being Education Centre, Wuhan Huaxia University of Technology
- 2010-2014: Lecturer (on psychology), Wuhan Huaxia University of Technology, China
- 2002-2006: Teacher, Wuhan Instrument and Electronic Technical School
- 1996-2002: Administrative Officer, Wuhan Chai-tai Company
- 2022: PhD, Social Research in Health, University of New South Wales
- 2016: Master of Social Work, Monash University
- 2022: Dean’s Award for Outstanding Thesis, University of New South Wales
- 2022: Postgraduate Research Output Award, University of New South Wales
- 2021: Postgraduate Research Output Award, University of New South Wales
- 2012: Outstanding Achievements in Mental Health Education in Hubei Province from the Department of Education of Hubei Province, China