As Burnet’s Country Program Manager for the Myanmar Program, Lia is based at our Melbourne headquarters and is responsible for the overall implementation and quality assurance of the Myanmar program.
Lia has an international development background and holds a Masters in International Public Health.
Previously working with AusAID, Lia was involved in policy and programming areas in the Pacific and spent six years in South East Asia in AusAID’s offices in Hanoi, Vietnam and Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
She has been with Burnet Institute since 2010.
- Adolescent reproductive health in Myanmar: Formative research to support the delivery of life-skills education and hygiene improvements through monastic schools in Magway
A study into reproductive health education through the Monastic Education System in Magway.
- ANCP: Prevention and care for drug-resistant TB in Myanmar
Implementation and evaluation of a model of drug-resistant TB care to facilitate scale-up in Myanmar.
- Document the Lessons Learnt from the Joint Initiative on Maternal Neonatal and Child Health (JIMNCH), Ayerwady Region, Myanmar. 2013
The Joint Initiative for Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health was a collaborative programme aiming to increase access to maternal and child health services in areas most affected by Cyclone Nargis
- Effectiveness of repellent on malaria incidence in SE Myanmar
A project to determine whether repellent delivered by volunteers will reduce malaria incidence.
- Enhancing education to reduce harms associated with drug use in Yangon, Myanmar
This project is supporting harm reduction and health care for people who inject drugs and who use drugs.
- Evaluation of the Joint Initiative for Maternal Newborn and Child Health in Myanmar
Burnet led the evaluation of this United Nations program for maternal newborn and child health.
- Harm reduction among People who Inject Drugs in Myanmar
Aims to prevent the transmission of HIV among young people, students, migrant and transport workers.
- Ma Ma Oo - Maternal and Child Health Radio Series Myanmar
Establishing a health radio program for effective community messaging regarding maternal and child health.
- Malaria services for Myanmar's most hard to reach populations
Assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in isolated townships.
- Male participation in improving maternal and newborn health: A community based intervention in Myanmar
Demonstrating the feasibility of increasing male involvement in Maternal, Newborn and Children's Health and to enable men to protect and promote the health of their families.
- Maternal Neonatal and Child Health support in Magway Region, Myanmar
Improved MCH services via support to Township Health Departments and community based interventions.
- MNCH support in Myanmar's Northern Shan State
This project involves Namhsam, Namtu and Manton townships.
- National TB Research Agenda Workshop for Myanmar: 4-5 September 2014
Burnet Institute supported the National Tuberculosis Program (NTP) Myanmar to design and implement a national TB research agenda workshop to set the TB research priorities and road map for implementation for the next five years.
- Pathways to post abortion care in Myanmar
Understanding women's perspectives on accessing post-abortion care at public hospitals.
- Strengthening Monastic School Education in Myanmar
Building capacity and improving quality of the monastic school system via community involvement.
- WASH: Interventions for monastic schools in Myanmar
Evaluating the impact of a water, sanitation and hygiene program across three states of Myanmar.
- Working with men to address HIV in Myanmar
Reducing HIV-related risk, vulnerability and impact among men who have sex with men in Myanmar.
News Articles (16)