Leila is an infectious disease epidemiologist who joined Burnet in 2021 to start a PhD through Monash University. The aims of her project are to inform the strengthening of sustainable and effective surveillance for hepatitis B prevention, diagnosis, and management in the Pacific, with a focus on Vanuatu. The outcomes of this research will add to the understanding of the hepatitis B burden to guide public health prioritisation, as well as support reporting against global and regional strategies. Leila is also supporting the ACCESS Myanmar pilot as a Research Assistant.
Prior to joining the Burnet, Leila worked with the World Health Organization Health Emergencies Programmes at the Regional Office for the Western Pacific in Manila, Philippines. During her time at WPRO, Leila’s work was mostly focused on outbreak surveillance and response.
- 2018-2021: Technical Officer WHO Health Emergencies, WPRO, Manila, Philippines
- 2018: Consultant WHO Health Emergencies, SEARO, New Delhi, India
- 2016-2017: Consultant WHO Health Emergencies, WPRO, Manila Philippines
- 2016: MPH, The Melbourne University, Australia
- 2013: Bachelor of Arts (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology; Sociology) Rice University, Texas, USA
- Estimating the national burden of hospitalizations for influenza-associated severe acute respiratory infection in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, 2016
Khamphaphongphane B, Chiew M, Mott J, Khamphanoulath S, Khanthamaly V, Vilivong K, Sisouk T, Bell L, Dueger E, Sullivan S, Iuliano AD, Tsuyuoka R, Keosavanh O.
Western Pac Surveill Response J.. 2021 Jun; 12(2)
- Preparedness for influenza vaccination during a pandemic in the World Health Organization Western Pacific Region.
Leila Bell, Lisa Peters, James D Heffelfinger, Sheena G Sullivan, Alba Vilajeliu, Jinho Shin, Joseph Bresee, Erica Dueger
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2018 Dec; 9(5 Suppl 1):11-14
- PanStop: a decade of rapid containment exercises for pandemic preparedness in the WHO Western Pacific Region.
Edna Moturi, Katherine Horton, Leila Bell, Lucy Breakwell, Erica Dueger
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2018 Dec; 9(5 Suppl 1):71-74
- National burden of influenza-associated hospitalizations in Cambodia, 2015 and 2016.
Vanra Ieng, M Ximena Tolosa, Bunchhoeng Tek, Borann Sar, Kheng Sim, Heng Seng, Miliya Thyl, Chan Dara, Mey Moniborin, Rebekah J Stewart, Leila C Bell, Georgios Theocharopoulos, Savuth Chin, Darapheak Chau, A Danielle Iuliano, Ann Moen, Reiko Tsuyuoka, Erica L Dueger, Sheena G Sullivan, Sovann Ly
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2018 Oct; 9(5 Suppl 1):44-52
- From H5N1 to HxNy: An epidemiologic overview of human infections with avian influenza in the Western Pacific Region, 2003-2017.
Sarah Hamid, Yuzo Arima, Erica Dueger, Frank Konings, Leila Bell, Chin-Kei Lee, Dapeng Luo, Satoko Otsu, Babatunde Olowokure, Ailan Li
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2018 Jul; 9(5 Suppl 1):53-67