Stephanie is an epidemiologist with extensive experience in disease surveillance, prevention and control as well as in emergency preparedness and response and disaster management. Stephanie is skilled in the development of policies and standard operating procedures for preparedness and response to infectious disease emergencies and other acute public health issues.
Stephanie also has a background in Environmental Health and has been involved in environmental impact assessment and health impact assessments.
She is also an experienced researcher with a growing track record of peer reviewed publications. She has conducted research mainly looking at infectious diseases such as gastrointestinal illnesses, influenza and other respiratory illnesses, zoonoses, antimicrobial resistance, and climate change. She is skilled in research design and analysis for both qualitative and quantitative methods.
Stephanie has led the design and conduct of several national surveys and population-based studies, including a Caribbean-wide Burden of Illness Study, climate change adaptation and disasters study in multiple Pacific Island Countries. In addition she has experience working in monitoring, evaluation and project planning for medium to large scale projects including bilateral aid projects.
Stephanie is also experienced in development and implementation of multi-agency emergency simulation exercises, emergency plans and standard operating procedures for responding to public health emergencies.
She also has been actively involved in the supervision of researchers, public health officers and medical trainees and other higher education students.
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Epidemiological Research (2016- present).
Member, Integrated Systems for Epidemic Response (ISER) Academy, UNSW (2016- present).
- Secretary / Executive Board Member, iCare Community Services Inc., Australia.
- Member, International Society for Infectious Diseases (2013- present)
- Member, Public Health Association of Australia (2010- present)
- Member, International Organization for Collaborative Outcome Management
- Former Member, Joint Animal and Human Health (OneHealth) Meeting, Greater Sydney and South East New South Wales (former chair 2015)
- Former Member, One Health Special Interest Group, Public Health Association of Australia (2016-2020).
- Former Executive Member, Public Health Informatics and Epidemiology Network, NSW Ministry of Health (2015-2019).
- Former, Vice President, Jamaica Association of Public Health Inspectors (2000-2007)
- Senior Research Fellow (Coordinator, Optimise Study) (Jan 2021- present) Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia
- Consultant, Health Information, Communicable Diseases and Emergency Response (Jan 2020- January 2021) Caribbean Public Health Agency; Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Epidemiologist- Public Health / Bio-preparedness (Oct 2014- Feb 2020) South West Sydney Local Health District, NSW Health Service; Australia
- Monitoring and Evaluation Adviser (Short Term Adviser), The Australian Government’s Fiji Program Support Facility (Jan – Aug 2018); Coffey International Development, Fiji.
- Program Evaluation Officer (Jan 2014-Oct 2014) National Prescribing Service (NPS Medicinewise); Australia
- Senior Research Officer (Jan 2012-Feb 2014) World Health Organization Collaborating Centre (WHO CC UTS) for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Development; University of Technology, Sydney. AND Role 2: Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer- AusAID Funded)
- Project Manager (Sep 2009-Oct 2011) (NHMRC Funded) Faculty of Health; University of Technology, Sydney.
- Country Coordinator: Jamaican Burden of Illness Study (BOI), (2008-2010) (IDRC/ PAHO Funded) Ministry of Health, Jamaica.
- Regional Environmental Health Officer (2008-2009) North East Regional Health Authority, MOH, Jamaica.
- Short Term Consultant/ Coordinator for Caribbean Burden of Illness Research Project (Apr 2008-Sep 2008) Caribbean Epidemiology Centre/PAHO/WHO, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Regional Food Safety Specialist, (Acting) (2007-2008) North East Regional Health Authority, MOH, Jamaica.
- Public Health Inspector/ Environmental Health Officer (various levels) (1997- 2008) North East Regional Health Authority, MOH, Jamaica.
- Design and Manage Exercises, Office of Emergency Management, Australia (Sept 2019)
- Major Incident Medical Management Support, NSW Health, Australia (April 2019)
- Doctor of Philosophy (major Public Health Epidemiology); University of Technology, Sydney (2013)
- Certificate IV, Training and Assessment (2014)
- Master of Public Health (Distinction); University of the West Indies, Jamaica (2007)
- Diploma, Management Studies; Jamaican Institute of Management (2004)
- Diploma, Meat and Other Food Inspection; University of Technology, Jamaica (2010)
- Diploma, Public Health Inspection; West Indies School of Public Health, Jamaica (1997)
- 2020: Sanofi Pasteur Communicable Diseases Epidemiology Award. Presented by International Society for Infectious Diseases and the Malaysian Society for Infectious Diseases and Chemotherapy at the International Congress on Infectious Diseases, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2019: Professional Excellence Award – Media. Presented by the Celebration of African Australians Inc.
- 2010: President’s Award Scholarship, University of Technology Sydney
- 2009: International Research Scholarship, University of Technology Sydney
- 2009: Public Health Inspector of the Year. Presented by the Jamaican Association of Public Health Inspectors
- 2009: Food Safety Officer of the Year. Presented by the Jamaican Association of Public Health Inspectors
- 2009: President’s Award: For academic excellence and outstanding environmental health services to the people of Jamaica. Presented by the President, Jamaican Association of Public Health Inspectors.
- 2007: Governor General Youth in Excellence Award (Jamaica) For excellence in the field of Public Health and Community Development, Jamaica.