Stephanie is an epidemiologist with extensive experience in disease surveillance, prevention and control as well as in emergency preparedness and response and disaster management. Stephanie is skilled in the development of policies and standard operating procedures for preparedness and response to infectious disease emergencies and other acute public health issues.
Stephanie also has a background in Environmental Health and has been involved in environmental impact assessment and health impact assessments.
She is also an experienced researcher with a growing track record of peer reviewed publications. She has conducted research mainly looking at infectious diseases such as gastrointestinal illnesses, influenza and other respiratory illnesses, zoonoses, antimicrobial resistance, and climate change. She is skilled in research design and analysis for both qualitative and quantitative methods.
Stephanie has led the design and conduct of several national surveys and population-based studies, including a Caribbean-wide Burden of Illness Study, climate change adaptation and disasters study in multiple Pacific Island Countries. In addition she has experience working in monitoring, evaluation and project planning for medium to large scale projects including bilateral aid projects.
Stephanie is also experienced in development and implementation of multi-agency emergency simulation exercises, emergency plans and standard operating procedures for responding to public health emergencies.
She also has been actively involved in the supervision of researchers, public health officers and medical trainees and other higher education students.
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Epidemiological Research (2016- present).
Member, Integrated Systems for Epidemic Response (ISER) Academy, UNSW (2016- present).
- Secretary / Executive Board Member, iCare Community Services Inc., Australia.
- Member, International Society for Infectious Diseases (2013- present)
- Member, Public Health Association of Australia (2010- present)
- Member, International Organization for Collaborative Outcome Management
- Former Member, Joint Animal and Human Health (OneHealth) Meeting, Greater Sydney and South East New South Wales (former chair 2015)
- Former Member, One Health Special Interest Group, Public Health Association of Australia (2016-2020).
- Former Executive Member, Public Health Informatics and Epidemiology Network, NSW Ministry of Health (2015-2019).
- Former, Vice President, Jamaica Association of Public Health Inspectors (2000-2007)
- Senior Research Fellow (Coordinator, Optimise Study) (Jan 2021- present) Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia
- Consultant, Health Information, Communicable Diseases and Emergency Response (Jan 2020- January 2021) Caribbean Public Health Agency; Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Epidemiologist- Public Health / Bio-preparedness (Oct 2014- Feb 2020) South West Sydney Local Health District, NSW Health Service; Australia
- Monitoring and Evaluation Adviser (Short Term Adviser), The Australian Government’s Fiji Program Support Facility (Jan – Aug 2018); Coffey International Development, Fiji.
- Program Evaluation Officer (Jan 2014-Oct 2014) National Prescribing Service (NPS Medicinewise); Australia
- Senior Research Officer (Jan 2012-Feb 2014) World Health Organization Collaborating Centre (WHO CC UTS) for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Development; University of Technology, Sydney. AND Role 2: Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer- AusAID Funded)
- Project Manager (Sep 2009-Oct 2011) (NHMRC Funded) Faculty of Health; University of Technology, Sydney.
- Country Coordinator: Jamaican Burden of Illness Study (BOI), (2008-2010) (IDRC/ PAHO Funded) Ministry of Health, Jamaica.
- Regional Environmental Health Officer (2008-2009) North East Regional Health Authority, MOH, Jamaica.
- Short Term Consultant/ Coordinator for Caribbean Burden of Illness Research Project (Apr 2008-Sep 2008) Caribbean Epidemiology Centre/PAHO/WHO, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Regional Food Safety Specialist, (Acting) (2007-2008) North East Regional Health Authority, MOH, Jamaica.
- Public Health Inspector/ Environmental Health Officer (various levels) (1997- 2008) North East Regional Health Authority, MOH, Jamaica.
- Design and Manage Exercises, Office of Emergency Management, Australia (Sept 2019)
- Major Incident Medical Management Support, NSW Health, Australia (April 2019)
- Doctor of Philosophy (major Public Health Epidemiology); University of Technology, Sydney (2013)
- Certificate IV, Training and Assessment (2014)
- Master of Public Health (Distinction); University of the West Indies, Jamaica (2007)
- Diploma, Management Studies; Jamaican Institute of Management (2004)
- Diploma, Meat and Other Food Inspection; University of Technology, Jamaica (2010)
- Diploma, Public Health Inspection; West Indies School of Public Health, Jamaica (1997)
- 2020: Sanofi Pasteur Communicable Diseases Epidemiology Award. Presented by International Society for Infectious Diseases and the Malaysian Society for Infectious Diseases and Chemotherapy at the International Congress on Infectious Diseases, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2019: Professional Excellence Award – Media. Presented by the Celebration of African Australians Inc.
- 2010: President’s Award Scholarship, University of Technology Sydney
- 2009: International Research Scholarship, University of Technology Sydney
- 2009: Public Health Inspector of the Year. Presented by the Jamaican Association of Public Health Inspectors
- 2009: Food Safety Officer of the Year. Presented by the Jamaican Association of Public Health Inspectors
- 2009: President’s Award: For academic excellence and outstanding environmental health services to the people of Jamaica. Presented by the President, Jamaican Association of Public Health Inspectors.
- 2007: Governor General Youth in Excellence Award (Jamaica) For excellence in the field of Public Health and Community Development, Jamaica.
- The Optimise Study: Vaccination knowledge, attitudes and beliefs. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S. Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Griffiths D, Collie A, Lim M, Eddy S, Meagher N, McDougall C, Marinkovic Chavez K, Carpenter L, Fletcher-Lartey S, Price D, Gibbs L, Shearer F, Power R, Cheong M, Caddy C, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Aug; Report 9:1-15
- Giardiasis notifications are associated with socioeconomic status in Sydney, Australia: a spatial analysis.
Soumya Mazumdar, Stephanie M Fletcher-Lartey, Patricia Zajaczkowski, Bin Jalaludin
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2020 Dec; 44(6):508-513
- The health impacts of transformative infrastructure change: Process matters as much as outcomes.
Haigh F, Fletcher-Lartey S, Jaques K, Millen E, Calalang C, de Leeuw E, Mahimbo A, Hirono K
Envir Impact Rev. 2020 Nov; 85:106437
- Effectiveness of Oseltamivir Prophylaxis in Influenza Outbreaks in Residential Aged Care.
Mithilesh Dronavalli, Heidi Lord, Kate Alexander, Leng Boonwaat, Narugopal Pal, Stephanie Mahalia Fletcher-Lartey
J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2020 Jun; 10(2):184-189
- Protecting health security in the Caribbean: A co-ordinated regional response to the novel Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and other global health threats (BOOK CHAPTER)
Fletcher-Lartey S, Indar L, Davidson T, Gonzalez Escobar G, St John J
in Public Health Themes in Grenada and the Caribbean Region ed Glascow L and Merrick J (Nova Science Publishers). 2020 May
- Is it or is it not? Lessons learned from a case of suspected vaccine strain measles.
Heidi Lord, Jen Kok, Stephanie Fletcher, Kate Alexander
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2020 Apr; 44(2):160-162
- Measles elimination in Australia: Hard won, easily lost.
K E Alexander, M Wickens, S M Fletcher-Lartey
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Mar; 49(3):112-114
- Factors associated with adverse outcomes during influenza outbreaks in aged care facilities.
Elaine Tennant, Stephanie Fletcher, Sheena Kakar, Zeina Najjar, Heidi Lord, Penelope Clark, Leena Gupta
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2020 Feb; 44(1):65-72
- Protecting health security in the
Caribbean: A coordinated regional response to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and other global public health threats.
Fletcher-Lartey S, Indar L, Davidson T, Gonzalez Escobar G and St John J
. Int Public Health J. 2020 Jan; 12(1):33-45
- Trends in Antimicrobial Resistance Patterns in Neisseria Gonorrhoeae in Australia and New Zealand: A Meta-analysis and Systematic Review.
Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Mithilesh Dronavalli, Kate Alexander, Sayontonee Ghosh, Leng Boonwaat, Jane Thomas, Amanda Robinson, Zeel Patel, Bradley Forssman, Naru Pal
Antibiotics (Basel). 2019 Oct; 8(4)
- Limited Impact of Smoking Bans on Commercial Outdoor Dining Area in a Smoking Hot Spot: A Case Study
Fletcher-Lartey SM, Birkett J, O'Regan S, Daly A, Cavagnino P
J Fam Med Dis Prev. 2019 May; 5(5):110
- Perceptions of barriers to the management of respiratory tract infections in general practice settings in Australia.
Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Rabia Khan
Aust J Prim Health. 2017 Oct; 23(5):471-475
- A Salmonella Typhimurium outbreak linked to Vietnamese bread rolls in South Western Sydney, Australia, 2015.
Meena Chandra, Heidi Lord, Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Kate Alexander, Nilva Egana, Stephen Conaty
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2017 Apr; 8(2):1-4
- Compliance with the World Organisation for Animal Health guidelines for poultry production in Grenada
Glasgow L, Forde M, Fletcher S, Keku E
World Poultry Sci J. 2017 Feb; 73(3):515-526
- Why do general practitioners prescribe antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infections to meet patient expectations: a mixed methods study.
Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Melissa Yee, Christina Gaarslev, Rabia Khan
BMJ Open. 2016 Oct; 6(10):e012244
- A mixed methods study to understand patient expectations for antibiotics for an upper respiratory tract infection.
Christina Gaarslev, Melissa Yee, Georgi Chan, Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Rabia Khan
Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2016 Oct; 5:39
- A Q fever cluster among workers at an abattoir in south-western Sydney, Australia, 2015.
Heidi Lord, Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Guy Weerasinghe, Meena Chandra, Nilva Egana, Nicole Schembri, Stephen Conaty
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2016 Oct; 7(4):21-27
- Comparison of enteric protozoan infections in four Australian hospitals: variable tests and variable results
Fletcher-Lartey SM, Andresen D, Van Hal S, Merif J, Stark D, Rawlinson W, Harkness J, Ellis J.
Parasitol Open. 2016 Jul; 2:E13
- Application of GIS technology in public health: successes and challenges.
Stephanie M Fletcher-Lartey, Graziella Caprarelli
Parasitology. 2016 Apr; 143(4):401-415
- Underreporting of influenza outbreaks in aged care facilities in South Western Sydney, Australia, 2014.
Leng Boonwaat, Stephanie Fletcher-Lartey, Stephen Conaty
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2016 Jan; 7(1):32-34
- Effect of antiviral prophylaxis on influenza outbreaks in aged care facilities in three local health districts in New South Wales, Australia, 2014.
Tony Merritt, Kirsty Hope, Michelle Butler, David Durrheim, Leena Gupta, Zeina Najjar, Stephen Conaty, Leng Boonwatt, Stephanie Fletcher
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2016 Jan; 7(1):14-20
- PerCEN trial participant perspectives on the implementation and outcomes of person-centered dementia care and environments.
Lynn Chenoweth, Yun-Hee Jeon, Jane Stein-Parbury, Ian Forbes, Richard Fleming, Janet Cook, Seong Cheah, Stephanie Fletcher, Leonie Tinslay
Int Psychogeriatr. 2015 Dec; 27(12):2045-2057
- Descriptive epidemiology of infectious gastrointestinal illnesses in Sydney, Australia, 2007-2010.
Stephanie Fletcher, David Sibbritt, Damien Stark, John Harkness, William Rawlinson, David Andresen, Sebastian Van Hal, Juan Merif, John Ellis
Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2015 Oct; 6(4):7-16
- Understanding the contribution of environmental factors in the spread of antimicrobial resistance.
Environ Health Prev Med. 2015 Jul; 20(4):243-252
- Traditional coping strategies and disaster response: examples from the South Pacific region.
Stephanie M Fletcher, Jodi Thiessen, Anna Gero, Michele Rumsey, Natasha Kuruppu, Juliet Willetts
J Environ Public Health. 2013 Dec; 2013:264503
- Magnitude, distribution, and estimated level of underreporting of acute gastroenteritis in Jamaica.
Stephanie M Fletcher, Eva Lewis-Fuller, Hank Williams, Zahra Miller, Henroy P Scarlett, Collin Cooper, Kelly-Ann Gordon-Johnson, Ivan Vickers, Karen Shaw, Iyanna Wellington, Jennifer Thame, Enrique Perez, Lisa Indar
J Health Popul Nutr. 2013 Dec; 31(4 Suppl 1):69-80
- Prevalence of gastrointestinal pathogens in developed and developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Stephanie M Fletcher, Mary-Louise McLaws, John T Ellis
J Public Health Res. 2013 Apr; 2(1):42-53