After qualifying as a microbiologist with a special interest in herbs, botany and plant pathology, Patricia worked in microbiology, vaccines and human immunology at laboratories in Australia, the United Kingsdom and USA. She specialised in immunology research developing new drugs to treat organ transplant rejection, chronic inflammation and autoimmune diseases (diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis).
A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Medical Biology from the University of Melbourne, Patricia has taught medicinal and biomedical science students at both Melbourne and Monash Universities. Currently her focus is project management including the collation and archiving of clinical and experimental data.
In addition to her scientific work Patricia teaches yoga, is a Reiki Master/teacher, a qualified practitioner of Western herbal medicine, and an Ayurvedic therapist. While she has great respect for and knowledge of Western science and medicine Patricia also believes that a more holistic approach to health will bring added benefits, and make Western medicine even more effective.
- 2007-present: Senior Research Fellow & Research Project Manager, Burnet Institute for Medical Research, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2006-present: Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department of Immunology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2001-present: Honorary Senior Research Fellow, Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2001-2006: Senior Research Fellow & Research Project Manager, Austin Research Institute, Austin Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1999-2000: National Heart Foundation Senior Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1989-98: Lecturer/Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1995-96: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, USA
- 1983-88: Senior Technical Officer and Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1977-82: Graduate Research Assistant and PhD student, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research, Victoria, Australia
- 1975-76: Graduate Research Assistant, Nuffield Department of Surgery, Oxford University, United Kingdom
- 2010: Graduate Diploma of Health Science (Herbal Medicine), University of New England, Armidale, NSW, Australia
- 2000: Postgraduate Diploma of Education, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2000: Project Management Course, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Victoria, Australia
- 1985: Doctor of Philosophy (Medical Biology/Immunology), University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1975: BASc (Biology), Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Australia
- 2003: Nancy Prendergast Fellowship
- 2000: TSANZ Senior Investigators Award
- 1999: TSANZ Senior Investigators Award
- 1998: National Heart Foundation Fellowship
- 1995-1996: University of Melbourne Special Studies Project Award
- 1995: Janssen-Cilag Travelling Fellowship of the TSANZ
- 1994: National Heart Foundation Travel Award
- 1992: National Heart Foundation Travel Award
- 1991: TSANZ Young Investigators Award
- 1990: International Transplantation Society Travel Award
- 1989: TSANZ President’s Prize
- Inhibition of destructive autoimmune arthritis in FcgammaRIIa transgenic mice by small chemical entities.
Pietersz GA, Mottram PL, de Velde NCV, Sardjono CT, Esparon S, Ramsland PA, Moloney G, Baell JB, McCarthy TD, Matthews BR, Powell MS, Hogarth PM
Immunol Cell Biol. 2009 Jan; 87(1):3-12
- The dendritic cell subtype-restricted C-type lectin Clec9A is a target for vaccine enhancement.
Caminschi I, Proietto AI, Ahmet F, Kitsoulis S, Teh JS, Lo JCY, Rizzitelli A, Wu L, Vremec D, van Dommelen SLH, Campbell IK, Maraskovsky E, Braley H, Davey GM, Mottram P, De Velde NV, Jensen K, Lew AM, Wright MD, Heath WR, Shortman K, Lahoud MH
Blood. 2008 Oct; 112(8):3264-3273
- FcgammaRII and multi-system autoimmune disease.
van de Velde NC, Mottram PL, Hogarth PM
Springer Semin Immunopathol. 2006 Dec; 28(4):329-338
- Pathogen recognition and development of particulate vaccines: does size matter?
Xiang SD, Scholzen A, Minigo G, David C, Apostolopoulos V, Mottram PL, Plebanski M
Methods. 2006 Sep; 40(1):1-9
- Methods for nano-particle based vaccine formulation and evaluation of their immunogenicity.
Kalkanidis M, Pietersz GA, Xiang SD, Mottram PL, Crimeen-Irwin B, Ardipradja K, Plebanski M
Methods. 2006 Sep; 40(1):20-29
- Systemic immune responses in sheep, induced by a novel nano-bead adjuvant.
Scheerlinck JP, Gloster S, Gamvrellis A, Mottram PL, Plebanski M
Vaccine. 2006 Feb; 24(8):1124-1131
- Failure of immune homeostasis -- the consequences of under and over reactivity.
Crimeen-Irwin B, Scalzo K, Gloster S, Mottram PL, Plebanski M
Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord. 2005 Dec; 5(4):413-422
- Development of spontaneous multisystem autoimmune disease and hypersensitivity to antibody-induced inflammation in Fcgamma receptor IIa-transgenic mice.
Tan Sardjono C, Mottram PL, van de Velde NC, Powell MS, Power D, Slocombe RF, Wicks IP, Campbell IK, McKenzie SE, Brooks M, Stevenson AW, Hogarth PM
Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Oct; 52(10):3220-3229
- Antigen delivery via two molecules on the CD8- dendritic cell subset induces humoral immunity in the absence of conventional "danger".
Corbett AJ, Caminschi I, McKenzie BS, Brady JL, Wright MD, Mottram PL, Hogarth PM, Hodder AN, Zhan YF, Tarlinton DM, Shortman K, Lew AM
Eur J Immunol. 2005 Oct; 35(10):2815-2825
- Short peptide sequences containing MHC class I and/or class II epitopes linked to nano-beads induce strong immunity and inhibition of growth of antigen-specific tumour challenge in mice.
Fifis T, Mottram P, Bogdanoska V, Hanley J, Plebanski M
Vaccine. 2004 Nov; 23(2):258-266
- Vaccines that facilitate antigen entry into dendritic cells.
Gamvrellis A, Leong D, Hanley JC, Xiang SD, Mottram P, Plebanski M
Immunol Cell Biol. 2004 Oct; 82(5):506-516
- Size-dependent immunogenicity: therapeutic and protective properties of nano-vaccines against tumors.
Fifis T, Gamvrellis A, Crimeen-Irwin B, Pietersz GA, Li J, Mottram PL, McKenzie IF, Plebanski M
J Immunol. 2004 Sep; 173(5):3148-3154
- The role of FcgammaRIIa as an inflammatory mediator in rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus.
Tan Sardjono C, Mottram PL, Hogarth PM
Immunol Cell Biol. 2003 Oct; 81(5):374-381
- Past, present and future drug treatment for rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus.
Immunol Cell Biol. 2003 Oct; 81(5):350-353
- Unique monoclonal antibodies define expression of Fc gamma RI on macrophages and mast cell lines and demonstrate heterogeneity among subcutaneous and other dendritic cells.
Tan PS, Gavin AL, Barnes N, Sears DW, Vremec D, Shortman K, Amigorena S, Mottram PL, Hogarth PM
J Immunol. 2003 Mar; 170(5):2549-2556