Yinzong is a public health researcher and mathematical modeller at the Burnet Institute. She works on a variety of public health/health economic projects in infectious diseases and global health and has a special interest in public health problems concerning hepatitis B at both a regional and global level.
Yinzong did her PhD based at the Burnet Institute, with a focus on enhancing hepatitis B care cascade in Australia by addressing barriers in the Chinese community and general practice, and evaluating cost-effectiveness.
Prior to joining the Burnet, she completed her medical degree and Master of Internal Medicine (specialising in Infectious Diseases) in China.
- 2021-ongoing: Research Officer, Mathematical Modeller in Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- 2019-2021: Research Assistant, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- Ongoing: PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 2017: Master of Internal Medicine (Infectious Diseases), Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, China
- 2014: MBBS, Central South University, China
- 2021 Young Investigator bursary, International Liver Congress, the European Association for the Study of the Liver
- 2020 Young Investigator bursary, International Liver Congress, the European Association for the Study of the Liver
- 2019 Eastern Hill Precinct Travel Grant, University of Melbourne
- 2016-2020 Melbourne Research Scholarship
Cancer information compared to Hepatitis B information to INcreAse hepatitis B testing in Melbourne’s Chinese community (CHINA-B study)
Hepatitis B Modelling
Identifying the structural enablers to the clinical management of people with hepatitis B in general practice: a qualitative investigation
Modelling for evidence-based national hepatitis B testing plans
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
- Hepatitis B and pregnancy: understanding the experiences of care among pregnant women and recent mothers in metropolitan Melbourne.
Ahad M, Wallace J, Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Bennett G, Darby J, Desmond P, Hall S, Holmes J, Papaluca T, Glasgow S, Thompson A, Hellard M, Doyle J, Howell J
BMC Public Health. 2022 Apr; 22(1):817
- Understanding how to live with hepatitis B: a qualitative investigation of peer advice for Chinese people living with hepatitis B in Australia.
Wallace J, Xiao Y, Howell J, Thompson A, Allard N, Adamson E, Richmond J, Hajarizadeh B, Eagle M, Doyle J, Hellard M
BMC Public Health. 2022 Mar; 22(1):536
- Assessing the feasibility, acceptability and impacts of an education program on hepatitis B testing uptake among ethnic Chinese in Australia: results of a randomised controlled pilot study.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Ahad M, van Gemert C, Thompson AJ, Doyle J, Lam HY, Chan K, Bennett G, Adamson E, Yussf N, Tang A, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Hellard M, Howell J
BMC Public Health. 2021 Oct; 21(1):1861
- A qualitative exploration of enablers for hepatitis B clinical management among ethnic Chinese in Australia.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Thompson A, Hellard M, van Gemert C, Holmes JA, Croagh C, Richmond J, Papaluca T, Hall S, Hong T, Demediuk B, Iser D, Ryan M, Desmond P, Visvanathan K, Howell J
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Jun; 28(6):925-933
- Hepatitis C elimination in Myanmar: Modelling the impact, cost, cost-effectiveness and economic benefits.
Scott N, Win TM, Tidhar T, Htay H, Draper B, Aung PTZ, Xiao Y, Bowring A, Kuschel C, Shilton S, Kyi KP, Naing W, Aung KS, Hellard M
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2021 May; 10:100129
- Point-of-Care Tests for Hepatitis B: An Overview.
Xiao Y, Thompson AJ, Howell J
Cells. 2020 Oct; 9(10):E2233
- Facilitating hepatitis B clinical management in general practice: A qualitative investigation.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Allard N, Howell J, Adamson E, XiaoYZ, O’Reilly C, Hellard M
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Sep; 49(9):599-604
- Validation of the TREAT-B score for hepatitis B treatment eligibility in a large Asian cohort: TREAT-B improves with age.
Howell J, Anderson D, Bloom S, Lubel J, Kemp W, Williams J, Bell S, Croagh C, Demediuk B, Desmond P, Hall S, Holmes J, Hong T, Iser D, Lim L, Papaluca T, Ryan M, Visvanathan K, Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Hellard M, Thompson A
J Hepatol. 2020 Sep; 73(5):1282-1284
- Use of controlled temperature chain and compact prefilled auto-disable devices to reach 2030 hepatitis B birth dose vaccination targets in LMICs: a modelling and cost-optimisation study.
Seaman CP, Morgan C, Howell J, Xiao Y, Spearman CW, Sonderup M, Lesi O, Andersson MI, Hellard ME, Scott N
Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Jul; 8(7):e931-e941
- Comparing sexual behaviours and knowledge between domestic students and Chinese international students in Australia: findings from two cross-sectional studies.
Douglass CH, Qin C, Martin F, Xiao Y, El-Hayek C, Lim MS
Int J STD AIDS. 2020 Jun; 31(8):781-790
- Enhancing the hepatitis B care cascade in Australia: a cost-effectiveness model.
Xiao Y, Howell J, van Gemert C, Thompson AJ, Seaman CP, McCulloch K, Scott N, Hellard ME
J Viral Hepat. 2020 May; 27(5):526-536
- Bacterial and fungal infections in COVID-19 patients: A matter of concern.
Zhou P, Liu Z, Chen Y, Xiao Y, Huang X, Fan XG
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020 Apr; 41(9):1124-1125
- Protecting Chinese Healthcare Workers While Combating the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
Zhou P, Huang Z, Xiao Y, Huang X, Fan XG
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020 Mar; 41(6):745-746
- 'Think Hep B' in primary care: A before-and-after evaluation of a self-guided learning package.
Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Howell J, Adamson E, Towell V, Cowie BC, Thompson AJ, Hellard M
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Jan; 49(1-2):66-69
News Articles (2)