Judy Gold has over 10 years’ experience in research, public health and international development. Her PhD involved developing and evaluating new approaches for sexual health promotion to young people using SMS and social networking sites. After completing her PhD, Judy moved to London where she worked for several international NGOs focused on sexual and reproductive health and rights, and as a freelance consultant. Judy returned to the Burnet Institute in May 2016, where she is currently working part time to coordinate health promotion activities to increase the number of people who inject drugs accessing Hepatitis C treatment.
- 2016-present: Senior Research Officer
- 2008-2010: PhD Student and Research Assistant
- 2006-2007: Research Assistant
- 2005: Honours Student
- 2011: PhD, Monash University, Australia
- 2005: BBiomedSci (Hons). Monash University, Australia
- 2003: BBiomedSci, Monash University, Australia
- Development and pilot of a framework to evaluate reproductive health call centre services: experience of Marie Stopes international.
Yagnik P, Gold J, Stoove M, Reichwein B, van Gemert C, Corby N, Lim MS
BMC Health Serv Res. 2015 Sep; 15(1):398
- Young people's comparative recognition and recall of an Australian Government Sexual Health Campaign.
Lim MS, Gold J, Bowring AL, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jan; 26(6):398-401
- Sexual Health Promotion on Social Networking Sites: A Process Evaluation of the FaceSpace Project.
Nguyen P, Gold J, Pedrana A, Chang S, Howard S, Ilic O, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Adolesc Health. 2013 Apr; 53(1):98-104
- Queer as F**k: Reaching and Engaging Gay Men in Sexual Health Promotion through Social Networking Sites.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Gold J, Ata N, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Stoové M
J Med Internet Res. 2013 Feb; 15(2):e25
- Trends in sexual behavior, testing, and knowledge in young people; 2006-2011.
Lim MS, Bowring AL, Gold J, Aitken CK, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Nov; 39(11):831-834
- Public-Private Partnerships for Health Promotion: The Experiences of the S5 Project.
Gold J, Hellard ME, Lim MS, Dixon H, Wakefield M, Aitken CK.
Amer J Health Educat. 2012 Aug; 43(4):250-53
- Correlates of Chlamydia trachomatis infection in a primary care sentinel surveillance network.
Lim MS, Goller JL, Guy R, Gold J, Stoové M, Hocking JS, Fairley CK, Henning D, McNamee K, Owen L, Sheehan P, Hellard ME
Sex Health. 2012 Jul; 9(3):247-253
- Modelling antiviral treatment to prevent hepatitis C infection among people who inject drugs in Victoria, Australia.
Hellard ME, Jenkinson R, Higgs P, Stoové MA, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Hickman M, Vickerman P, Martin NK
Med J Aust. 2012 Jun; 196(10):638-641
- Know your limits: Awareness of the 2009 Australian alcohol guidelines among young people.
Bowring AL, Gold J, Dietze P, Gouillou M, Van Gemert C, Hellard ME
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Mar; 31(2):213-223
- Developing health promotion interventions on social networking sites: recommendations from The FaceSpace Project.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Hellard ME
J Med Internet Res. 2012 Feb; 14(1):e30
- A systematic examination of the use of Online social networking sites for sexual health promotion.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Sacks-Davis R, Hellard ME, Chang S, Howard S, Keogh L, Hocking JS, Stoové MA
BMC Public Health. 2011 Jul; 11:583
- Barriers to receiving hepatitis C treatment for people who inject drugs: Myths and evidence.
Higgs P, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Hellard M
Hepat Mon. 2011 Jul; 11(7):513-518
- The Australian national binge drinking campaign: campaign recognition among young people at a music festival who report risky drinking.
van Gemert C, Dietze P, Gold J, Sacks-Davis R, StoovÃ© M, Vally H, Hellard M
BMC Public Health. 2011 Jun; 11:482
- Impact evaluation of a youth sexually transmissible infection awareness campaign using routinely collected data sources.
Gold J, Goller J, Hellard M, Lim MS, Hocking J, Fairley CK, Spelman T, McNamee K, Clift P, Guy R
Sex Health. 2011 Jun; 8(2):234-241
- Determining the impact of text messaging for sexual health promotion to young people.
Gold J, Lim MS, Hocking JS, Keogh LA, Spelman T, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2011 Apr; 38(4):247-252
- A randomised controlled trial using mobile advertising to promote safer sex and sun safety to young people.
Gold J, Aitken CK, Dixon HG, Lim MS, Gouillou M, Spelman T, Wakefield M, Hellard ME
Health Educ Res. 2011 Mar
- What's your "porn star" name? A novel method of identifying research participants.
Lim MS, Bowring A, Gold J, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2011 Feb; 38(2):150-151
- What's in a message? Delivering sexual health promotion to young people in Australia via text messaging.
Gold J, Lim MS, Hellard ME, Hocking JS, Keogh LA
BMC Public Health. 2010 Dec; 10:792
- Establishing a linked sentinel surveillance system for blood-borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections: methods, system attributes and early findings.
Goller JL, Guy RJ, Gold J, Lim MS, El-Hayek C, Stoové MA, Bergeri I, Fairley CK, Leslie DE, Clift P, White B, Hellard ME
Sex Health. 2010 Dec; 7(4):425-433
- Does the frequency of HIV and STI testing among men who have sex with men in primary care adhere with Australian guidelines?
Guy R, Goller JL, Spelman T, El-Hayek C, Gold J, Lim M, Leslie D, Tee BK, Roth N, Anderson J, Fairley CK, Kaldor J, Hellard M
Sex Transm Infect. 2010 Oct; 86(5):371-376
- Home-based chlamydia testing of young people attending a music festival--who will pee and post?
Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Aitken CK, Hellard ME
BMC Public Health. 2010 Jun; 10:376
- Accuracy of serological assays for detection of recent infection with HIV and estimation of population incidence: a systematic review.
Guy R, Gold J, Calleja JM, Kim AA, Parekh B, Busch M, Rehle T, Hargrove J, Remis RS, Kaldor JM; WHO Working Group on HIV Incidence Assays
Lancet Infect Dis. 2009 Dec; 9(12):747-759
- Hepatitis C treatment for injection drug users: a review of the available evidence.
Hellard M, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J.
Clin Infect Dis. 2009 Aug; 49(4):561-573