Since joining Burnet Institute in 2009, Anna has coordinated several research and surveillance projects. In 2012, Anna started her PhD which is focused on improving our understanding of risk behaviours, risk perception, and opportunities to improve the health of men who have sex with men and women in Vientiane, Laos. This is an extension of the research conducted in 2009 by Burnet on ‘Exploring the sexual networks of men who have sex with men and women in Laos and Vietnam’.
- 2012-present: PhD Student
- 2009-present: Research Assistant
- 2010: MPH, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2007: BBiomedSci, Monash University, Australia
- Anorectal swabs as a marker of male-to-male sexual exposure in STI surveillance systems.
Ampt FH, El Hayek C, Agius PA, Bowring AL, Bartnik N, Van Gemert C, Fairley CK, Chow EPF, Bradshaw CS, Stephens N, Lim MSC, Hellard ME
Epidemiol Infect. 2017 Sep; 145(12):2530-2535
- "We Might Get Some Free Beers": Experience and Motivation for Transactional Sex Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Hughes C, van Gemert C, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Arch Sex Behav. 2017 May; 46(4):1047-1059
- Factors Influencing Access to Sexual Health Care Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos: A Qualitative Exploration.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Nov; 27(8):820-834
- It goes both ways: a cross-sectional study of buying and selling sex among young behaviourally bisexual men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M.
Sex Health. 2015 Jul; 12(5):405-10
- Sexual identity, same-sex partners and risk behaviour among a community-based sample of young people in Australia.
Bowring AL, Vella AM, Degenhardt L, Hellard M, Lim MS
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Feb; 26(2):153-161
- Young people's comparative recognition and recall of an Australian Government Sexual Health Campaign.
Lim MS, Gold J, Bowring AL, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jan; 26(6):398-401
- Young risk takers: Alcohol, illicit drugs, and sexual practices among a sample of music festival attendees.
Jenkinson R, Bowring A, Dietze P, Hellard M, Lim MSC
J Sex Trans Dis. 2014 Dec; 2014:e357239
- Setting the scene: locations for meeting sex partners among behaviorally bisexual men in vientiane, laos, and opportunities for health promotion.
Bowring AL, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Agius PA, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2014 Dec; 26(6):538-553
- Early age at first sex: associations with sexual health and sociodemographic factors among a sample of young music festival attendees in Melbourne.
Vella AM, Agius PA, Bowring AL, Hellard ME, Lim MS
Sex Health. 2014 Aug; 11(4):359-365
- Reattendance and chlamydia retesting rates at 12 months among young people attending Australian general practice clinics 2007-10: a longitudinal study.
Weaver ER, Bowring AL, Guy R, van Gemert C, Hocking JS, Boyle DI, Merritt T, Heal C, Lau PM, Donovan B, Hellard ME
Sex Health. 2014 Jul; 11(4):366-369
- Chlamydia among Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people attending sexual health services, general practices and Aboriginal community controlled health services.
Ward J, Goller J, Ali H, Bowring A, Couzos S, Saunders M, Yau P, Kaldor JM, Hellard M, Guy RJ, Donovan B
BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Jul; 14(1):285
- Identifying risk: a comparison of risk between heterosexual-identifying bisexual men and other bisexual men in vientiane, laos.
Bowring A, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2014 Apr; 26(2):109-121
- Characteristics of a Sexual Network of Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Lao PDR, 2010.
van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Jenkinson R, Bowring AL, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2013 Jun; 25(3):232-243
- Comparing short versions of the AUDIT in a community-based survey of young people.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Hellard M, Dietze P
BMC Public Health. 2013 Apr; 13(1):301
- Chlamydia testing and retesting patterns at family planning clinics in Australia.
Bowring AL, Goller JL, Gouillou M, Harvey C, Bateson D, McNamee K, Read C, Boyle D, Jordan L, Wardle R, Stephens A, Donovan B, Guy R, Hellard M
Sex Health. 2013 Jan; 10(1):74-81
- An urgent need to scale-up injecting drug harm reduction services in Tanzania: Prevalence of blood-borne viruses among drug users in Temeke District, Dar-es-Salaam, 2011.
Bowring AL, Luhmann N, Pont S, Debaulieu C, Derozier S, Asouab F, Toufik A, van Gemert C, Dietze P, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Jan; 24(1):78-81
- Measuring the accuracy of self-reported height and weight in a community-based sample of young people.
Bowring AL, Peeters A, Freak-Poli R, Lim MS, Gouillou M, Hellard M
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012 Nov; 12(1):175
- Trends in sexual behavior, testing, and knowledge in young people; 2006-2011.
Lim MS, Bowring AL, Gold J, Aitken CK, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Nov; 39(11):831-834
- Missed opportunities--low levels of chlamydia retesting at Australian general practices, 2008-2009.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Guy R, Kong FY, Hocking J, Pirotta M, Heal C, Brett T, Donovan B, Hellard M; on behalf of the ACCESS Collaboration.
Sex Transm Infect. 2012 Mar; 88(5):330-334
- Know your limits: Awareness of the 2009 Australian alcohol guidelines among young people.
Bowring AL, Gold J, Dietze P, Gouillou M, Van Gemert C, Hellard ME
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Mar; 31(2):213-223
News Articles (7)