Dr Anna Bowring is a public health researcher committed to informing impactful health programs serving vulnerable and marginalised populations in resource-limited settings. In particular, her work supports data use for program learning and impact with a focus on community-based interventions for HIV and blood-borne viruses among key populations.
After completing her PhD in 2015, which focused on understanding HIV risk and access to sexual health services among men with bisexual behaviour in Laos, she moved to Cameroon to take up a position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health with Associate Professor Stefan Baral. In Cameroon she worked with John Hopkins, CARE and partners to support the implementation of evidence-based HIV prevention, testing and treatment services for female sex workers and men who have sex with men.
Currently Anna supports implementation research informing community-based treatment of hepatitis C in Myanmar.
- 2016-present: Research Fellow, Burnet Institute
- 2017-2019 Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Program Impact Specialist, Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- 2016: coEC Project Manager, Burnet Institute
- 2009-2015: Research Assistant, Burnet Institute
- 2016: PhD, Monash University, Australia
- 2010: MPH, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2007: BBiomedSci, Monash University, Australia
- 2017 – 2020 - Early Career Fellowship, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- 2020, 2019, 2014 - Scholarship recipient to AIDS/IAS Conferences
- 2018 - Scholarship recipient to INTEREST Conference, Kigali, Rwanda
- 2016 - Ian Potter Foundation travel grant
- 2014 - Highly commended poster, 18th IUSTI Asia-Pacific Congress, Bangkok, Thailand
- 2012 – 2015 - Australian Postgraduate Award
- 2013 - Scholarship recipient to ICAAP Conference
- 2011, 2013 - Scholarship recipient to The Australasian Sexual Health Conference
- 2005 – 2009 - Partial scholarship: Monash Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences Scholarship
Assessing the feasibility of an integrated HIV cascade of care surveillance system in Myanmar (ACCESS Myanmar)
co-EC Study: Eliminating hepatitis C/HIV coinfection
Hepatitis C: Community Testing and Treatment (CT2)
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
Tools for the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (Kenya, Myanmar and Senegal)
- Quantifying the evolving contribution of HIV interventions and key populations to the HIV epidemic in Yaounde, Cameroon.
Silhol R, Baral S, Bowring AL, Mukandavire C, Njindam IM, Rao A, Schwartz S, Tamoufe U, Billong SC, Njoya O, Zoung-Kanyi Bissek AC, Garcia Calleja JM, Vickerman P, Mishra S, Boily MC
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Apr; 86(4):396-405
- Micro-elimination of hepatitis C among people with HIV coinfection: declining incidence and prevalence accompanying a multi-center treatment scale-up trial.
Doyle JS, van Santen DK, Iser D, Sasadeusz J, O'Reilly M, Harney B, Traeger MW, Roney J, Cutts JC, Bowring AL, Winter R, Medland N, Fairley CK, Moore R, Tee B, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Hoy JF, Matthews GV, Prins M, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Unmet Need for Family Planning and Experience of Unintended Pregnancy Among Female Sex Workers in Urban Cameroon: Results From a National Cross-Sectional Study.
Bowring AL, Schwartz S, Lyons C, Rao A, Olawore O, Njindam IM, Nzau J, Fouda G, Fako GH, Turpin G, Levitt D, Georges S, Tamoufe U, Billong SC, Njoya O, Zoung-Kanyi AC, Baral S
Glob Health Sci Pract. 2020 Mar; 8(1):82-99
- HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis for female sex workers: ensuring women's family planning needs are not left behind.
Bowring AL, Ampt FH, Schwartz S, Stoové MA, Luchters S, Baral S, Hellard M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 Feb; 23(2):e25442
- Anorectal swabs as a marker of male-to-male sexual exposure in STI surveillance systems.
Ampt FH, El Hayek C, Agius PA, Bowring AL, Bartnik N, Van Gemert C, Fairley CK, Chow EPF, Bradshaw CS, Stephens N, Lim MSC, Hellard ME
Epidemiol Infect. 2017 Sep; 145(12):2530-2535
- "We Might Get Some Free Beers": Experience and Motivation for Transactional Sex Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Hughes C, van Gemert C, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Arch Sex Behav. 2017 May; 46(4):1047-1059
- Factors Influencing Access to Sexual Health Care Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos: A Qualitative Exploration.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Nov; 27(8):820-834
- It goes both ways: a cross-sectional study of buying and selling sex among young behaviourally bisexual men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M.
Sex Health. 2015 Jul; 12(5):405-10
- Sexual identity, same-sex partners and risk behaviour among a community-based sample of young people in Australia.
Bowring AL, Vella AM, Degenhardt L, Hellard M, Lim MS
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Feb; 26(2):153-161
- Young people's comparative recognition and recall of an Australian Government Sexual Health Campaign.
Lim MS, Gold J, Bowring AL, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jan; 26(6):398-401
- Young risk takers: Alcohol, illicit drugs, and sexual practices among a sample of music festival attendees.
Jenkinson R, Bowring A, Dietze P, Hellard M, Lim MSC
J Sex Trans Dis. 2014 Dec; 2014:e357239
- Setting the scene: locations for meeting sex partners among behaviorally bisexual men in vientiane, laos, and opportunities for health promotion.
Bowring AL, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Agius PA, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2014 Dec; 26(6):538-553
- Early age at first sex: associations with sexual health and sociodemographic factors among a sample of young music festival attendees in Melbourne.
Vella AM, Agius PA, Bowring AL, Hellard ME, Lim MS
Sex Health. 2014 Aug; 11(4):359-365
- Reattendance and chlamydia retesting rates at 12 months among young people attending Australian general practice clinics 2007-10: a longitudinal study.
Weaver ER, Bowring AL, Guy R, van Gemert C, Hocking JS, Boyle DI, Merritt T, Heal C, Lau PM, Donovan B, Hellard ME
Sex Health. 2014 Jul; 11(4):366-369
- Chlamydia among Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people attending sexual health services, general practices and Aboriginal community controlled health services.
Ward J, Goller J, Ali H, Bowring A, Couzos S, Saunders M, Yau P, Kaldor JM, Hellard M, Guy RJ, Donovan B
BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Jul; 14(1):285
- Identifying risk: a comparison of risk between heterosexual-identifying bisexual men and other bisexual men in vientiane, laos.
Bowring A, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2014 Apr; 26(2):109-121
- Characteristics of a Sexual Network of Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Lao PDR, 2010.
van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Jenkinson R, Bowring AL, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2013 Jun; 25(3):232-243
- Comparing short versions of the AUDIT in a community-based survey of young people.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Hellard M, Dietze P
BMC Public Health. 2013 Apr; 13(1):301
- Chlamydia testing and retesting patterns at family planning clinics in Australia.
Bowring AL, Goller JL, Gouillou M, Harvey C, Bateson D, McNamee K, Read C, Boyle D, Jordan L, Wardle R, Stephens A, Donovan B, Guy R, Hellard M
Sex Health. 2013 Jan; 10(1):74-81
- An urgent need to scale-up injecting drug harm reduction services in Tanzania: Prevalence of blood-borne viruses among drug users in Temeke District, Dar-es-Salaam, 2011.
Bowring AL, Luhmann N, Pont S, Debaulieu C, Derozier S, Asouab F, Toufik A, van Gemert C, Dietze P, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Jan; 24(1):78-81
- Measuring the accuracy of self-reported height and weight in a community-based sample of young people.
Bowring AL, Peeters A, Freak-Poli R, Lim MS, Gouillou M, Hellard M
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012 Nov; 12(1):175
- Trends in sexual behavior, testing, and knowledge in young people; 2006-2011.
Lim MS, Bowring AL, Gold J, Aitken CK, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Nov; 39(11):831-834
- Missed opportunities--low levels of chlamydia retesting at Australian general practices, 2008-2009.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Guy R, Kong FY, Hocking J, Pirotta M, Heal C, Brett T, Donovan B, Hellard M; on behalf of the ACCESS Collaboration.
Sex Transm Infect. 2012 Mar; 88(5):330-334
- Know your limits: Awareness of the 2009 Australian alcohol guidelines among young people.
Bowring AL, Gold J, Dietze P, Gouillou M, Van Gemert C, Hellard ME
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Mar; 31(2):213-223
News Articles (7)