James is an infectious diseases physician and HIV researcher at The Alfred hospital and Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne. His work focuses on the clinical care of people with HIV and research to improve outcomes for people with HIV.
He received his PhD from Monash University which focused on social and behavioural factors predicting treatment outcomes for people with HIV. Prior to his PhD James completed an infectious diseases fellowship and a Masters of Public Health at Tufts Medical Center in Boston. He also has appointments in the Department of Infectious Diseases at Monash University, at Tufts University in Boston and is a member of the Australian Society for HIV Medicine’s Sub-Committee for Guidance on HIV Management in Australia.
James’ research interests include strategies to monitor the cascade of HIV care, interventions to maximise retention in HIV care and work to maximise the quality of HIV care in Australia.
- Infectious Diseases Physician, Department of Infectious Diseases Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- Infectious Diseases Physician, Infectious Diseases Unit, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, USA
- Adjunct Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2013-present: Member, Sub-Committee for Guidance on HIV Management in Australia, Australian Society for HIV Medicine
- 2009-present: Consultant – World Health Organization, HIV Drug Resistance Prevention and Treatment Strategy
- 2007-2010: Clinical and Research Fellow, Department of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, USA
- 2005-2007: Infectious Diseases Fellowship undertaken at the Austin Hospital, Royal Melbourne, and the Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Victoria, Australia
- 2000-2004: Internship and Medical Residency at Austin Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 2013: PhD, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2010: Master of Public Health, Epidemiology and Operational Research, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, USA
- 2008: Fellow Royal Australian College of Physicians
- 1999: MBBS, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- 2010-2013: NHMRC Postgraduate Scholarship, Australia
- 2012: Best Poster, Australian Society for Infectious Diseases Conference
- 2011: Best poster, Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference
- 2011: Australasian Society for HIV Medicine Domestic Conference Scholarship
- 2009: Tufts MPH Global Health International Travel Scholarship, USA
- 2008: Travel Grant, ICAAC / IDSA Conference Washington DC, USA
- Early Outpatient Treatment of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19): A Comment.
Korman TM, McMahon JH
Am J Med. 2021 Mar; 134(3):e220-e221
- A New Method for Estimating the Incidence of Infectious Diseases.
McManus H, Callander D, Asselin J, McMahon J, Hoy JF, Templeton DJ, Fairley CK, Donovan B, Pedrana AE, Keen P, Wilson DP, Elliott J, Kaldor J, Liaw ST, Petoumenos K, Holt M, Hellard ME, Grulich AE, Carr A, Stoové MA, Guy RJ
Am J Epidemiol. 2021 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Concomitant medication polypharmacy, interactions and imperfect adherence are common in Australian adults on suppressive ART.
Siefried KJ, Mao L, Cysique LA, Rule J, Giles ML, Smith DE, Mcmahon J, Read TR, Ooi C, Tee BK, Bloch M, de Wit J, Carr A; PAART study investigators.
AIDS. 2018 Jan; 32(1):35-48
- Post-treatment control in an adult with perinatally acquired HIV following cessation of antiretroviral therapy.
McMahon JH, Chang J, Tennakoon S, Dantanarayana A, Solomon A, Cherry C, Doherty R, Cameron P, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2017 Jun; 31(9):1344-1346
- Less frequent CD4 monitoring in virologically suppressed HIV.
McMahon J, Crowe SM
Lancet HIV. 2017 Jun; 4(6):e233-e234
- No adverse safety or virological changes two years following vorinostat in HIV-infected individuals on antiretroviral therapy.
Mota TM, Rasmussen TA, Rhodes A, Tennakoon S, Dantanarayana A, Wightman F, Hagenauer M, Roney J, Spelman T, Purcell DF, McMahon J, Hoy JF, Prince HM, Elliott JH, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2017 May; 31(8):1137-1141
- Integrase-resistant HIV in an antiretroviral-naive patient in Australia.
Rafiei N, Woolley I, Korman TM, Chibo D, Gooey M, McMahon JH
AIDS. 2017 Feb; 31(4):598-600
- Risk factors for unstructured treatment interruptions and association with survival in low to middle income countries.
McMahon JH, Spelman T, Ford N, Greig J, Mesic A, Ssonko C, Casas EC, O'Brien DP
AIDS Res Ther. 2016 Jul; 13(4):25
- Risk factors for mortality during antiretroviral therapy in older populations in resource-limited settings.
O'Brien D, Spelman T, Greig J, McMahon J, Ssonko C, Casas E, Mesic A, Du Cros P, Ford N
J Int AIDS Soc. 2016 Jan; 19(1):20665
- Clinic Network Collaboration and Patient Tracing to Maximize Retention in HIV Care.
McMahon JH, Moore R, Eu B, Tee BK, Chen M, El-Hayek C, Street A, Woolley I8 Buggie A, Collins D, Medland N9, Hoy J and Victorian Initiative for Patient Engagement and Retention (VIPER) study group.
PLoS One. 2015 May; 10(5):e0127726
- Experiences and expectations of participants completing an HIV cure focused clinical trial.
McMahon JH, Elliott JH, Roney J, Hagenauer M, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2015 Jan; 29(2):248-250
- Paying the price in an era of HIV treatment as prevention: a retrospective study of the cost burden of HIV treatment for people living with HIV in Victoria, Australia.
Wilkinson AL, McMahon J, Cheah Y, Bradshaw CS, El-Hayek C, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2015 Jan; 12(1):34-38
- Activation of HIV Transcription with Short-Course Vorinostat in HIV-Infected Patients on Suppressive Antiretroviral Therapy.
Elliott JH, Wightman F, Solomon A, Ghneim K, Ahlers J, Cameron MJ, Smith MZ, Spelman T, McMahon J, Velayudham P, Brown G, Roney J, Watson J, Prince MH, Hoy JF, Chomont N, Fromentin R, Procopio FA, Zeidan J, Palmer S, Odevall L, Johnstone RW, Martin BP, Sinclair E, Deeks SG, Hazuda DJ, Cameron PU, Sékaly RP, Lewin SR
PLoS Pathog. 2014 Oct; 10(10):e1004473
- 90-90-90: how do we get there?
McMahon JH, Medland N
Lancet HIV. 2014 Oct; 1(1):e10-e11
- Targets for intervention to improve virological outcomes for patients receiving free antiretroviral therapy in Tamil Nadu, India.
McMahon JH, Manoharan A, Wanke C, Mammen S, Jose H, Malini T, Kadavanu T, Jordan MR, Elliott JH, Lewin SR, Mathai D
AIDS Care. 2014 Jan; 26(5):559-566
- Viral suppression after 12 months of antiretroviral therapy in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review.
James H McMahon, Julian H Elliott, Silvia Bertagnolio, Rachel Kubiak, Michael R Jordan
Bull World Health Organ. 2013 May; 91(5):377-385E
- Pharmacy and Self-Report Adherence Measures to Predict Virological Outcomes for Patients on Free Antiretroviral Therapy in Tamil Nadu, India.
McMahon JH, Manoharan A, Wanke CA, Mammen S, Jose H, Malini T, Kadavanu T, Jordan MR, Elliott JH, Lewin SR, Mathai D
AIDS Behav. 2013 Feb; 17(6):2253-2259
- Effects of physical tracing on estimates of loss to follow-up, mortality and retention in low and middle income country antiretroviral therapy programs: a systematic review.
McMahon JH, Elliott JH, Hong SY, Bertagnolio S, Jordan MR
PLoS One. 2013 Feb; 8(2):e56047
- Update on World Health Organization HIV drug resistance prevention and assessment strategy: 2004-2011.
M R Jordan, D E Bennett, M A Wainberg, D Havlir, S Hammer, C Yang, L Morris, M Peeters, A M Wensing, N Parkin, J B Nachega, A Phillips, A De Luca, E Geng, A Calmy, E Raizes, P Sandstrom, C P Archibald, J Perriens, C M McClure, S Y Hong, J H McMahon, N Dedes, D Sutherland, S Bertagnolio
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 May; 54 Suppl 4:S245-S249
- HIV drug resistance early warning indicators in cohorts of individuals starting antiretroviral therapy between 2004 and 2009: World Health Organization global report from 50 countries.
Diane E Bennett, Michael R Jordan, Silvia Bertagnolio, Steven Y Hong, Giovanni Ravasi, James H McMahon, Ahmed Saadani, Karen F Kelley
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 May; 54 Suppl 4:S280-S289
- Poverty, hunger, education, and residential status impact survival in HIV.
James McMahon, Christine Wanke, Norma Terrin, Sally Skinner, Tamsin Knox
AIDS Behav. 2011 Oct; 15(7):1503-1511
- Repeated assessments of food security predict CD4 change in the setting of antiretroviral therapy.
McMahon JH, Wanke CA, Elliott JH, Skinner S, Tang AM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 Sep; 58(1):60-63
- Pharmacy adherence measures to assess adherence to antiretroviral therapy: review of the literature and implications for treatment monitoring.
McMahon JH, Jordan MR, Kelley K, Bertagnolio S, Hong SY, Wanke CA, Lewin SR, Elliott JH
Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Feb; 52(4):493-506
- Histologic, immunohistochemical, microbiological, molecular biological and ultrastructural characterization of pulmonary tularemia.
Paula Navarro, Maria L Garcia-Moliner, James H McMahon, Sam R 3rd Telford, Driss Zoukhri, Joseph Alroy
Pathol Res Pract. 2011 Jan; 207(1):63-66
News Articles (2)