Dr Julia Cutts is a senior postdoctoral researcher in the Malaria and Infectious Disease Epidemiology group.
Julia is passionate about the role of policy-driven research in expediting malaria elimination, particularly in our region. Julia’s research focuses on establishing evidence for the effectiveness of interventions for malaria control and elimination in the Asia Pacific and she is passionate about conducting high quality collaborative research to address knowledge gaps identified by stakeholders in malaria-endemic countries. She is involved in the design, implementation, and analysis of clinical studies assessing interventions to improve malaria control and elimination in Myanmar and the Greater Mekong Subregion.
Julia is also interested in the acquisition of immunity to malaria and she has conducted cross-population studies of antibody responses to P. vivax and pregnancy-associated P. falciparum.
Julia completed her doctorate in Medical Biology at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, focussing on the cytokine response to malaria and risk of severe disease in Papua New Guinean children. She subsequently completed a Master of Public Health at Monash University in 2014.
In 2018, Julia commenced as Program Manager of the Australian Centre of Research Excellence in Malaria Elimination, an NHMRC-supported multi-institute network of researchers working towards the goal of malaria elimination in Asia Pacific by 2030.
- 2013: Research Officer, Malaria and Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Burnet Institute
- 2018: Project Manager, Australian Centre of Research Excellence in Malaria Elimination, University of Melbourne at the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity
- 2011-2012: Research Assistant, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- 2006-2007: Research Assistant, The Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
- 2014: Master of Public Health, Monash University
- 2012: DPhil, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute/University of Melbourne
- 2006: Bachelor of Science (Honours), Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research/University of Melbourne
- 2006: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science, The University of Melbourne
co-EC Study: Eliminating hepatitis C/HIV coinfection
Evaluation of Malaria Case-Based Reporting using a mobile phone application in Myanmar
Host and parasite factors that predict Artemisinin Resistance reservoirs
Impact of declining transmission on immunity and risk of malaria rebound
Optimal community-delivered malaria elimination models for the Greater Mekong Sub-region
Serological surveillance to identify mosquito exposure and malaria transmission
- Community-based molecular and serological surveillance of subclinical malaria in Myanmar.
O'Flaherty K, Oo WH, Zaloumis SG, Cutts JC, Aung KZ, Thein MM, Drew DR, Razook Z, Barry AE, Parischa N, Zaw NN, Thu HK, Thi A, Htay WYM, Soe AP, Simpson JA, Beeson JG, Agius PA, Fowkes FJI
BMC Med. 2021 May; 19(1):121
- A mobile phone application for malaria case-based reporting to advance malaria surveillance in Myanmar: a mixed methods evaluation.
Oo WH, Htike W, Cutts JC, Win KM, Thu KM, Oo MC, Hkawng GN, Agius PA, Htoon PP, Scott N, Kearney E, Moreira C, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Thi A, Aung YW, Thein MM, Rosecrans K, Lwin KT, Min AK, Fowkes FJI
Malar J. 2021 Mar; 20(1):167
- A Systematic Review of Interventions Used to Increase Blood Donor Compliance with Deferral Criteria.
Cutts JC, Quinn B, Seed CR, Kotsiou G, Pearson R, Scott N, Wilson DP, Harrod ME, Maher L, Caris S, Thompson AJ, Farrell M, Pink J, Hellard ME
Transfus Med Hemother. 2021 Mar; 48(2):118-129
- Micro-elimination of hepatitis C among people with HIV coinfection: declining incidence and prevalence accompanying a multi-center treatment scale-up trial.
Doyle JS, van Santen DK, Iser D, Sasadeusz J, O'Reilly M, Harney B, Traeger MW, Roney J, Cutts JC, Bowring AL, Winter R, Medland N, Fairley CK, Moore R, Tee B, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Hoy JF, Matthews GV, Prins M, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of topical repellent distributed by village health volunteer networks against Plasmodium spp. infection in Myanmar: A stepped-wedge cluster randomised trial.
Agius PA, Cutts JC, Oo WH, Thi A, O'Flaherty K, Aung KZ, Thu HK, Aung PP, Thein MM, Zaw NN, Htay WYM, Soe AP, Razook Z, Barry AE, Htike W, Devine A, Simpson JA, Crabb BS, Beeson JG, Pasricha N, Fowkes FJI
PLoS Med. 2020 Aug; 17(8):e1003177
- Blood donation amongst people who inject drugs in Australia: research supporting policy change.
Quinn B, Pearson R, Cutts J, Seed C, Scott N, Hoad V, Dietze P, Wilson D, Maher L, Thompson A, Farrell M, Harrod M, Caris S, Pink J, Kotsiou G, Hellard M
Vox Sang. 2020 Feb; 115(3):162-70
- Pregnancy-specific malarial immunity and risk of malaria in pregnancy and adverse birth outcomes: a systematic review.
Cutts JC, Agius PA, Zaw Lin, Powell R, Moore K, Draper B, Simpson JA, Fowkes FJI
BMC Med. 2020 Jan; 18(1):14
- Effectiveness of repellent delivered through village health volunteers on malaria incidence in villages in South-East Myanmar: a stepped-wedge cluster-randomised controlled trial protocol.
Win Han Oo, Cutts JC, Agius PA, Kyaw Zayar Aung, Poe Poe Aung, Aung Thi, Nyi Nyi Zaw, Htin Kyaw Thu, Wai Yan Min Htay, Ataide R, O'Flaherty K, Ai Pao Yawn, Aung Paing Soe, Beeson JG, Crabb B, Pasricha N, Fowkes FJI
BMC Infect Dis. 2018 Dec; 18(1):663
- A Toll-like receptor-1 variant and its characteristic cellular phenotype is associated with severe malaria in Papua New Guinean children.
Manning L, Cutts J, Stanisic DI, Laman M, Carmagnac A, Allen S, O'Donnell A, Karunajeewa H, Rosanas-Urgell A, Siba P, Davis TM, Michon P, Schofield L, Rockett K, Kwiatkowski D, Mueller I
Genes Immun. 2016 Jan; 17(1):52-59
- Immunological markers of P. vivax exposure and immunity: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
Cutts J, Powell R, Agius PA, Beeson JG, Simpson JA, Fowkes FJI
BMC Medicine. 2014 Aug; 12(1):150
- γδ T cells and CD14+ monocytes are predominant cellular sources of cytokines and chemokines associated with severe malaria.
Stanisic DI, Cutts J, Eriksson E, Fowkes FJ, Rosanas-Urgell A, Siba P, Laman M, Davis TM, Manning L, Mueller I, Schofield L
J Infect Dis. 2014 Feb; 210(2):295-305
News Articles (4)