Liz worked in health and development advocacy before shifting her focus to research. Prior to joining the Burnet Institute in 2013, she worked as a contractor and completed several research projects for organisations including AusAID and Médecins Sans Frontières. Liz has also developed and managed an education and outreach program for vulnerable young people within Australia.
Liz works across multiple technical projects with a focus on gender, nutrition, and maternal health, in various settings in Asia, the Pacific and sub-Saharan Africa. Much of her work contributes to the global evidence base for policy and service delivery recommendations relating to men’s involvement in the health of women and children. She has also conducted research relating to health financing systems, with a focus on effective coverage of the informal sector. Liz contributes regularly to Masters-level teaching sessions and training courses offered by Burnet Institute, in areas including nutrition, gender and male involvement, and field research methods.
- 2012: MPH, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 2009: PhB (Hons I, Development Studies), Australian National University, Australia
- Male involvement interventions and improved couples' emotional relationships in Tanzania and Zimbabwe: 'When we are walking together, I feel happy'.
Comrie-Thomson L, Mavhu W, Makungu C, Nahar Q, Khan R, Davis J, Stillo E, Hamdani S, Luchters S, Vaughan C
Cult Health Sex. 2019 Aug; Epub ahead of print
- Expectant fathers' participation in antenatal care services in Papua New Guinea: a qualitative inquiry.
Davis J, Vaughan C, Nankinga J, Davidson L, Kigodi H, Alalo E, Comrie-Thomson L, Luchters S
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018 May; 18(1):138
- Involving men to improve maternal and newborn health: A systematic review of the effectiveness of interventions.
Tokhi M, Comrie-Thomson L, Davis J, Portela A, Chersich M, Luchters S
PLoS One. 2018 Jan; 13(1):e0191620
- WHISPER or SHOUT study: protocol of a cluster-randomised controlled trial assessing mHealth sexual reproductive health and nutrition interventions among female sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
Ampt FH, Mudogo C, Gichangi P, Lim MSC, Manguro G, Chersich M, Jaoko W, Temmerman M, Laini M, Comrie-Thomson L, Stoové M, Agius PA, Hellard M, L'Engle K, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2017 Aug; 7(8):e017388
- Challenging gender inequity through male involvement in maternal and newborn health: critical assessment of an emerging evidence base.
Comrie-Thomson L, Tokhi M, Ampt F, Portela A, Chersich M, Khanna R, Luchters S
Cult Health Sex. 2015 Jul; 17(Suppl 2):S177-S189
- Men Matter: Engaging Men in MNCH Outcomes.
Comrie-Thomson L, Mavhu W, Makungu C, Nahar Q, Khan R, Davis J, Hamdani S, Stillo E, Luchters S
Report prepared for Plan Canada. 2015 Jul
- A window of opportunity: Australian aid and child undernutrition. AUSAID Report
Toole M, Marsh C, Comrie-Thomson L, Davis J, Brown M, Renzaho A
Report for the Office of Development Effectiveness, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australian Government. 2015 Apr
News Articles (2)