Congratulations to former Director of Burnet, Professor John Mills who has received an Officer in the Order of Australia (AO) for distinguished service to medicine as a researcher and physician in the field of infectious diseases, particularly HIV and AIDS, to medical administration, and to the development of Australia’s biotechnology industry.
John was the (Managing) Director of the Burnet from 1992 to 2002, and during that time oversaw the development of an International Health Unit and the founding of AAMRI, the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes, the peak body representing medical research institutes and now including over 40 members.
Find out more about John’s work at Burnet.
His outstanding career is highlighted below.
- Professor of Medicine, Monash University, Clayton.
- Professor of Microbiology, University of Melbourne, 1992 - 2003.
- Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, United States of America, since 1973.
- Member, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research, since 2011.
- Director, Burnet Institute, 1992 - 2002.
- Director, National Centre for HIV Virology Research (NCHVR), research laboratories in Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory and Queensland,1992 - 2002.
- Founding President, Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes, since 1993.
- Member, Research Translation Faculty, National Health and Medical Research Council, since 2012.
- Consulting Physician, Infectious Diseases Clinic, Alfred Hospital, since 1995.
- Board of Trustees, International Association of Providers in AIDS Care (IAPAC), since 2011.
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, since 1993; Life Fellowship, 2010.
- Associate, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia, since 2007.
- Member, Australian Society for HIV Medicine (ASHM), since 1991.
- Non-Executive Director, Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia, since 2006; Board member since 2007; Chair, Research Program, 2007 - 2013.
- Co-founder and Director, Research and Development, TissuPath Specialist Pathology, 2004 -2009.
- Managing Director, Narhex Life Sciences, 2005 - 2007; Non - Executive Director 2001-2005.
- Non-Executive Director, Phosphangenics Inc, 2004 - 2010; Audit Committee/Chair, 2010.
- Myanmar Medical Association, 2007 - 2012.
- Pro Bono Doctor/Educator, Asia Pacific Region, 2007 - 2012; Pro Bono Doctor, training Indian doctors relating to HIV management.