In Australia, HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) notifications have been on the rise for the past decade. HIV and sexual and reproductive health is also a growing concern across the Asia and Pacific region.
Around 22 percent of neonatal deaths in Papua New Guinea are due to congenital syphilis and an estimated 500,000 neonatal deaths per year in Sub-Saharan Africa. Many more babies are left with severe birth defects.
There was 80,800 new notifications of chlamydia in Australia in 2011, a seven percent increase from 2010. Untreated, chlamydia infection can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and tubal infertility in women.
Research and Public Health Focus
Developed a point-of-care test for syphilis which can distinguish between active syphilis and past infections. This test is now being evaluated in Australia and Papua New Guinea
We conduct innovative research aimed at understanding the transmission and prevention of HIV and other STIs with a particular focus on those populations most at-risk, such as young people and men who have sex with men
- Lead the HIV and STI laboratory at the Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research
- Through partnerships with regional agencies, we review and develop national strategies to respond to HIV and STIs in Pacific countries
- Engage with a number of Pacific countries through operational research and capacity building through the Pacific Drug and Alcohol Research Network.
- A novel gel for targeting vaginal inflammation to prevent HIV transmission
Developing an intravaginal gel delivering a vaginal microbiota metabolite.
- Access Point Of Care Initiative
Increasing access to life-saving treatments for infectious diseases through point-of-care tests.
- ACCESS: STI and BBV surveillance system
ACCESS is a surveillance system that collates important information on a range of STIs and BBVs.
- Antimicrobial and immune modulatory effects of vaginal microbiota metabolites
Determining the role of vaginal microbiota metabolites in activating HIV and other STIs.
- Burnet Microbiome Initiative
Pilot study to characterise the vaginal microbiome in women from the HMHB cohort.
- CREIDU: Centre for Research Excellence into Injecting Drug Use
Improving the health of PWID through new research to inform public health policy and practice.
- Development of hydrogel based intravaginal drug delivery device
Developing an intravaginal ring to deliver a microbiota metabolite.
- East New Britain Sexual Health Improvement Project
This project aims to improve engagement in prevention of STIs and improve STI service delivery.
- Engaging men to improve family health and prevent gender-based violence
ANCP project to contribute to the improvement of the health of men, their families and communities.
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
A collaborative research program aimed at providing life-saving health care for women and children in PNG.
- HMHB - Health Services for Postnatal and Infancy Care
Focuses on services during postnatal period and through the first 12 months in East New Britain, PNG.
- HMHB: The impact of nutrition, malaria and STIs on pregnant women and infants
Determining the major preventable causes of poor maternal health and low birth weight of babies in PNG.
- Impact of a vaginal microbiota metabolite on epithelium integrity and HIV susceptibility
Determining the role of a vaginal microbiota metabolite in enhancing the mucosal barrier to prevent HIV transmission.
- Improved point-of-care test to eliminate congenital syphilis
Optimising and validating an innovative test to enable immediate treatment at the point of care.
- Inequalities in sexual and reproductive health in Asia and the Pacific
Despite progress to improve sexual and reproductive health in the region, significant inequalities in health outcomes and access to essential care remain.
- Predicting quality and potency of monoclonal and natural antibodies
Rapid, simple and scalable assays for predicting antibody potency.
- PRONTO! Rapid HIV point-of-care testing in Victoria
The first rapid HIV test service in Victoria targeting gay men and men who have sex with men.
- Sex, Drugs, and Rock'n'Roll (Big Day Out Study)
A landmark study since 2005 of young people's risk behaviours including sex, drug use and alcohol.
- Sexual and reproductive health in Asia and the Pacific
A review of issues, policies and programmes.
- SHARP: Sexual Health And Risk Prevention Study
Assessing responses to HIV prevention measures among Australian MSM.
- SRH survey of Chinese-speaking international students
A survey of international students' sexual behaviors, knowledge of STIs, sexual education and pornography.
- 2011 Vanuatu Integrated Bio-Behavioural Survey and population size estimation
A study to estimate the number of men who have sex with men and prevalence of STIs in Port Vila.
- A study to improve the health and rights of Myanmar men who have sex with men
This research evaluated the effectiveness of ‘Link Up’ services, in men who have sex with men.
- Assessing adolescent friendly health services in Nepal
Young people in Nepal have poor access to quality, non-discriminatory health services.
- Call Centre Impact Assessment for Marie Stopes International
Development of a framework and testing at call centres in Mexico City.
- China-Australia Health and HIV/AIDS Facility (2007-2012)
A partnership between the governments of Australia and the People’s Republic of China.
- e-TEST: Enhancing STI/HIV testing in high-risk gay men
eTEST is an intervention and surveillance system that aims to increase STI/HIV testing.
- Enhancing education to reduce harms associated with drug use in Yangon, Myanmar
This project is supporting harm reduction and health care for people who inject drugs and who use drugs.
- Evaluation of a condom distribution trial in Victorian prisons
The evaluation of a pilot program introducing condoms and dental dams into Victorian Prisons.
- FaceSpace: Using social networking to promote safer sex to higher risk groups
This project aims to use social networking to deliver health messages to higher risk groups.
- Opportunities to improve the health of behaviourally bisexual men in Vientiane, Laos
Men with bisexual behaviour in Laos engage in high-risk behaviours with low access to sexual health care.
- Resources for improving national responses to HIV and STIs
These resources aim to build country leadership of more effective responses to the HIV and STI epidemics.
- Review of clinical and health promotion services for sex workers within Western Australia
A review of programs, including sexual health promotion programs and clinical services, aimed at the prevention and control of HIV, STIs and blood borne viruses among sex workers in WA.
- SMS for Health: An acceptability trial of SMS to deliver adolescent sexual and reproductive health and anti-smoking messages to young people in Indonesia
The trial is investigating whether communication technologies can be used to improve sexual and reproductive health knowledge and awareness, access and utilisation of services, and improve awareness of harms related to smoking, in Indonesia.
- Strengthening Sexual and Reproductive Health Capacity in Bali
This project is aimed at building capacity around Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) and strengthening links between SRH and HIV prevention care and support
- The Victorian Primary Care Network for Sentinel Surveillance on BBVs and STIs
The surveillance involves collection and linking of testing, demographic, and risk behaviour information.
- Working with men to address HIV in Myanmar
Reducing HIV-related risk, vulnerability and impact among men who have sex with men in Myanmar.